Help Me Find Some Suitable Training Wheels For This?

I bought this Fiido L2 electric bike recently, and I'm hoping to coax my gf into getting one too. She never actually learned to ride a bike as a kid, and her last crack at it ended abruptly in a thorn bush, so she's kinda paranoid about it. She needs training wheels.

The L2's main wheels are only 14", and also the chain tensioner is bolted on right below the hub nut on the right side, so I'm having some trouble finding a compatible set of training wheels. Has anyone done anything similar?

Attachments

• Fiido_L2_ebike_3.jpg
    Fiido_L2_ebike_3.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 468
Most training wheels are designed for lightweight kids on lightweight bikes, not heavier adults on heavy bikes. With the additional weight of an eBike, I can see an adult easily bending most training wheels arms and brackets. Using training wheels for an adult seems more dangerous than learning how to ride imho.....

If she isn’t up for learning to ride, getting her an electric trike may be a better option.

Maybe something like this.

Last edited:
training wheels suck for training they actually don't teach you how to balance. she could ride with her feet near the ground to catch herself. this is th best way to teach kids you can do the same to to a large empty parking lot or big park on the grass.

Learning to ride using a balance bike, as foofer recommends, is definitely something to consider.

Also note that training wheels aren’t designed for the speeds ebikes are capable of.

Probably true. It'll take some convincing on my part.
You could get her an electric balance bike!

When I met my wife she didn't know how to ride a bicycle because no one taught her. She was in her mid-50's. So I found a Electra Rat Fink (fancy Townie) that she really liked and got her a helmet, gloves and some other safety gear and took her out to a nice, clean, empty parking lot and taught her. She could easily flat foot the Fink at a stop, the gear ratio makes it easy to start out and the coaster brake makes stops simple. She now has bicycles down pretty good and has been eyeing up my 'Runner. Start with baby steps. If you woman crashes at speed or falls from the weight of a ebike I bet she won't want to continue learning.

When I met my wife she didn't know how to ride a bicycle because no one taught her. She was in her mid-50's. So I found a Electra Rat Fink (fancy Townie) that she really liked and got her a helmet, gloves and some other safety gear and took her out to a nice, clean, empty parking lot and taught her. She could easily flat foot the Fink at a stop, the gear ratio makes it easy to start out and the coaster brake makes stops simple. She now has bicycles down pretty good and has been eyeing up my 'Runner. Start with baby steps. If you woman crashes at speed or falls from the weight of a ebike I bet she won't want to continue learning.
I hadn't thought about safety gear, thanks for that.

One great option is the Bintelli Trio trike. The reason is that it is a regular e-trike if you want it to be, But, you have the ability to flip a lever and the front half tilts like a regular bike. Which means it is in effect a bike with useable adult training wheels. I lost my ability to ride a bike and the bintelli trio is allowing me to slowly regain it. And when I really can't manage, it can become a stable typical trike. If she is never able to balance, so be it - it will always work as a regular stable trike.
I tried adult training wheels.(They do make them) and it was horrific.

Having taught my kids to ride, the best place I have found, was a big grassy lawn. She should probably learn to pedal a regular bicycle first, then graduate to an ebike...

I bought this Fiido L2 electric bike recently, and I'm hoping to coax my gf into getting one too. She never actually learned to ride a bike as a kid, and her last crack at it ended abruptly in a thorn bush, so she's kinda paranoid about it. She needs training wheels.

The L2's main wheels are only 14", and also the chain tensioner is bolted on right below the hub nut on the right side, so I'm having some trouble finding a compatible set of training wheels. Has anyone done anything similar?
No training wheels! If you use them, when you take the training wheels off you find you've learned bad habits. Plus every time the bike tilts one way or the other it sends a jolt through the learner's system.
The best way IMO to learn to ride a bike, is to do it on a flat field of grass. Pedaling and forward movement really helps keep balance and the grass really helps slow the bike so the pedaling doesn't accelerate the bike much. And it's softer than pavement for the inevitable...buy her some elbow and knee pads if you didn't do that already.... no laughing matter.
Also teach her to not look at the ground, to look straight where she intends to go and to turn her head that way
Buy her a cheap a-bike to learn to ride, no e-bike until riding is fun and safe.

Last edited:
Back