Hello, I'm new to the forum.

marsturm

Region
USA
I ride a 2016 RadCity. It has 4695 miles on it. It's been trouble free, with the exception of a few flat tires. I want a lighter ebike that can be peddled easier when the battery runs out. Doing a lot of research online. Nothing yet hits all the things I'd like. I'd like it to be under 38 lbs, with a twist throttle on the right grip, integrated battery, good, strong 35-40mm tires, at least 9 speed, and a hub motor with at least 40 NM.

I ride a 2016 RadCity. It has 4695 miles on it. It's been trouble free, with the exception of a few flat tires. I want a lighter ebike that can be peddled easier when the battery runs out. Doing a lot of research online. Nothing yet hits all the things I'd like. I'd like it to be under 38 lbs, with a twist throttle on the right grip, integrated battery, good, strong 35-40mm tires, at least 9 speed, and a hub motor with at least 40 NM.
This can be done. Please reconsider the twist throttle in favor of a thumb throttle. If accidently bumped while walking the bike up some stairs, through bollards, or doors the bike will go flying when the grip is twisted. The more it flies up and away the more the grip is twisted. Will you be ridding mostly streets with some trails? Also reconsider the integrated battery. Those tend to be proprietary to fit in that cavity and therefore more expensive to get a backup, or replace. Are you handy? You could make one that is fully custom to fit you own exact needs. There are some here on EBR who can help you with that and in avoiding potential pitfalls. Why a hub motor?

This can be done. Please reconsider the twist throttle in favor of a thumb throttle. If accidently bumped while walking the bike up some stairs, through bollards, or doors the bike will go flying when the grip is twisted. The more it flies up and away the more the grip is twisted. Will you be ridding mostly streets with some trails? Also reconsider the integrated battery. Those tend to be proprietary to fit in that cavity and therefore more expensive to get a backup, or replace. Are you handy? You could make one that is fully custom to fit you own exact needs. There are some here on EBR who can help you with that and in avoiding potential pitfalls. Why a hub motor?
Thanks for your response and information. A hub motor is the only type I've experienced, and it's been trouble free for over 5 years.

If you are looking for a bike similar to a Rad City that weighs <40lbs including battery, I don't think a bike like this exists at that weight.
1665949935487.png
I've converted a few bikes that were sub 30# and all of them ended up at least low to mid 40# including battery after conversion (I weighed them on an accurate hanging scale) and none had a suspension fork. To get under 40# you would have to accept small capacity battery, probably ditch the suspension fork, big tires with flat protection and any other heavy components. Given that your reference bike is a 63# bike you might not be content with the compromises needed to trim weight to sub 30#. A bike similarly equipped as your Rad is probably going to weigh 50# or more, be expensive and may not have a throttle. What I've seen from owners posting about their bike weight it seems manufacturers tend to understate weights.
FWIW I have what is considered a light gravel bike with Yamaha mid drive, 400wh battery and with no fenders or other accessories it weighs in at 40-41#.

This one checks all your boxes. You could install a different fork such as an air fork at anytime. Spring forks are heavy.
1665956539468.png

If you are looking for a bike similar to a Rad City that weighs <40lbs including battery, I don't think a bike like this exists at that weight.
View attachment 138021
I've converted a few bikes that were sub 30# and all of them ended up at least low to mid 40# including battery after conversion (I weighed them on an accurate hanging scale) and none had a suspension fork. To get under 40# you would have to accept small capacity battery, probably ditch the suspension fork, big tires with flat protection and any other heavy components. Given that your reference bike is a 63# bike you might not be content with the compromises needed to trim weight to sub 30#. A bike similarly equipped as your Rad is probably going to weigh 50# or more, be expensive and may not have a throttle. What I've seen from owners posting about their bike weight it seems manufacturers tend to understate weights.
FWIW I have what is considered a light gravel bike with Yamaha mid drive, 400wh battery and with no fenders or other accessories it weighs in at 40-41#.

Thanks for your response. I'm not looking for a bike similar to the Rad City, in fact I want one that is the opposite. My goal is to find a lightweight bike that I can pedal without electric assist for the majority of my ride.

Thanks for your response. I'm not looking for a bike similar to the Rad City, in fact I want one that is the opposite. My goal is to find a lightweight bike that I can pedal without electric assist for the majority of my ride.
Depends on what you want in a bike then including frame type, multiple or single speed, wheel and tire size, motor type and power, battery capacity, fenders, racks, suspension fork etc?. Throttle requirement might limit options for very light wt ebikes though. Good luck with your search.

if that is the soltera it is listed at 43 pounds for the 7 speed version, add fenders, rack and suspension fork and it is probable very close to 50 pounds
An inexpensive bike from the internet will do that. There are trade offs. Is he willing and able to build a bike? I will private message you a bike that went out today. It is the latest duel clutch. And super clean.

Back