Hello from Vancouver

superdave

Region
Canada
City
Vancouver
My very first mountain bike was a Specialized Hard Rock, and I absolutely loved that thing! Ever since then, I've dreamed of returning back to a Specialized. Was deciding between a Cube Katmandu One and a Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0, and since the former was sold out, I got the latter. The reviews on this site were very helpful in my decision, and thought I should join the forums too! Been riding my Vado for over a month, and absolutely love it! I started commuting to work, and have taken it to places, averaging 15-20km on weekend trips. I live in a hilly neighbourhood, so the bike works great supporting me, while giving me enough exercise. The only beef about riding in Vancouver is that there are plenty of bike lanes, but no where near enough safe bike storage like monitored bike garages around town. My nephew just moved to Rotterdam in the Netherlands, and he says it's very safe there with the huge commuting infrastructure. As Vancouver is the bike theft capital of Canada, it's not safe locking your e-bike outdoors in public for too long. Otherwise, loving the ride!

1.jpeg

My very first mountain bike was a Specialized Hard Rock, and I absolutely loved that thing! Ever since then, I've dreamed of returning back to a Specialized. Was deciding between a Cube Katmandu One and a Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0, and since the former was sold out, I got the latter. The reviews on this site were very helpful in my decision, and thought I should join the forums too! Been riding my Vado for over a month, and absolutely love it! I started commuting to work, and have taken it to places, averaging 15-20km on weekend trips. I live in a hilly neighbourhood, so the bike works great supporting me, while giving me enough exercise. The only beef about riding in Vancouver is that there are plenty of bike lanes, but no where near enough safe bike storage like monitored bike garages around town. My nephew just moved to Rotterdam in the Netherlands, and he says it's very safe there with the huge commuting infrastructure. As Vancouver is the bike theft capital of Canada, it's not safe locking your e-bike outdoors in public for too long. Otherwise, loving the ride!

View attachment 129376
Nice lookin' bike. A family member also rides a Turbo Vado and loves it. I’m afraid I can’t help but wish you all the best in finding a secure place to store your bike. BTW, welcome to the forums. :)

View attachment 129376
Some basic solutions for peace of mind: insurance (via Oasis),and the best locks available x 2.And registering with Bike529 is a given.These approaches have allowed me to lock up outdoors for hours without feeling like the bike owns me.

Some basic solutions for peace of mind: insurance (via Oasis),and the best locks available x 2.And registering with Bike529 is a given.These approaches have allowed me to lock up outdoors for hours without feeling like the bike owns me.
Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I am registered with Project529, and added my bike to my house insurance. It the future, I might look into dedicated bike insurers, since my home insurance only covers up to a certain amount. I have an Abus Granit XPlus folding lock (strongest rating), a Kryptonite chain lock for my front wheel, and an Abus frame lock, so I think I have enough of a deterrent.

Welcome. I take my bikes inside with me and always keep an eye on them. If a place does not like that, then I take my business where it is appreciated. I tell them as much. Another alternative is to park inside a friendly bike shop. In my modestly sized town we are taking one parking spot in front of a central bike shop and converting it into a monitored parking area for ten bikes. That is the equivalent of adding nine parking spots to that block. Great for the local businesses. More foot traffic with less heat and smell.

Back