Hello from the SF Bay Area (BabyMaker Owner)

CycleRich

Region
USA
City
Berkeley
During the sheltering-in-place event in early 2020, I decided to get an inexpensive e-bike to try it out and use it for local errands. I ordered an FLX BabyMaker Pro because it really looks good and cheap ($1375, at the time for early crowdfunders). The BabyMaker Pro has battery in the downtube, motor in the rear hub, and a single speed belt drive. Most folks can't tell that it's an e-bike. However, because of the pandemic and related parts shortages, it took over 14 months to receive it. I had the bike since August and really loved it.
I belong to a couple of bike clubs in the Bay Area and had to tell some of the advanced riders that I was on an e-bike. I felt guilty letting them think that I was in such great shape.
One of my main issue with this bike concerns running out of battery power. The single belt-drive gear ratio is fine for flats or a slight incline when the power is off. There is no way to add a booster battery during the ride. If i run out of power, I would have to walk the bike up any steep inclines.
Recently, I converted the bike to a chain-driven 8-speed. It really changes the characteristic of this bike. I normally ride the bike as a normal 8-speed and use the power boost only when going up steeper hills. I also can use my pedal power going down hills because of proper gearing. I am less concerned about running out of power, since i can pedal up most hills to get back home.
I normally lead a lot of rides for the club and this bike allows me to check in with other riders and get back to the front easily. I'll probably end up riding this more than my expensive road bike.
Looking forward to learning more about e-bike from this forum.
Rich

Attachments

• tempImage0KQEzh.png
    tempImage0KQEzh.png
    5.5 MB · Views: 284
Last edited:
During the sheltering-in-place event in early 2020, I decided to get an inexpensive e-bike to try it out and use it for local errands. I ordered an FLX BabyMaker Pro because it really looks good and cheap ($1375, at the time for early crowdfunders). The BabyMaker Pro has battery in the downtube, motor in the rear hub, and a single speed belt drive. Most folks can't tell that it's an e-bike. However, because of the pandemic and related parts shortages, it took over 14 months to receive it. I had the bike since August and really loved it.
I belong to a couple of bike clubs in the Bay Area and had to tell some of the advanced riders that I was on an e-bike. I felt guilty letting them think that I was in such great shape.
One of my main issue with this bike concerns running out of battery power. The single belt-drive gear ratio is fine for flats or a slight incline when the power is off. There is no way to add a booster battery during the ride. If i run out of power, I would have to walk the bike up any steep inclines.
Recently, I converted the bike to a chain-driven 8-speed. It really changes the characteristic of this bike. I normally ride the bike as a normal 8-speed and use the power boost only when going up steeper hills. I also can use my pedal power going down hills because of proper gearing. I am less concerned about running out of power, since i can pedal up most hills to get back home.
I normally lead a lot of rides for the club and this bike allows me to check in with other riders and get back to the front easily. I'll probably end up riding this more than my expensive road bike.
Looking forward to learning more about e-bike from this forum.
Rich
Sharp looking bike! Like the design a lot, very clean and simple! Never heard of that before so enjoyed looking over their website. I like how the battery is integrated but I’m curious if there is a way to easily remove it or not. I ask because I have almost never charged my battery on the bike. Just got my wife a rad mission 1 which is also single speed but chain and no hills where we ride so hoping it’s a good fit for her.

The Babymaker is not set up for removing the battery. The only time one needs to remove the battery is for replacing it. The front fork needs to be removed to allow the battery pulled from the downtube. There is an electric receptor on the right front of the top tube for charging. I charge the bike after every ride by just plugging the charger cord in. It stops itself off when fully charges. There is a fan that you can hear when it's charging. One complaint is that one would have to take the entire bike (not just the battery on other e-bikes) indoors when expecting a cold temperatures. The bike/battery should not be left outdoors or in an unheated garage if it gets really cold. My bike weighs 37 lbs and taking it to the first floor is not an issue for me.
One of my reason for buying this bike is for the looks and the belt drive system. I decided that I wanted more gearing, so I had to remove the belt drive. For most folks the single speed it adequate.

The Babymaker is not set up for removing the battery. The only time one needs to remove the battery is for replacing it. The front fork needs to be removed to allow the battery pulled from the downtube. There is an electric receptor on the right front of the top tube for charging. I charge the bike after every ride by just plugging the charger cord in. It stops itself off when fully charges. There is a fan that you can hear when it's charging. One complaint is that one would have to take the entire bike (not just the battery on other e-bikes) indoors when expecting a cold temperatures. The bike/battery should not be left outdoors or in an unheated garage if it gets really cold. My bike weighs 37 lbs and taking it to the first floor is not an issue for me.
One of my reason for buying this bike is for the looks and the belt drive system. I decided that I wanted more gearing, so I had to remove the belt drive. For most folks the single speed it adequate.
Agreed it looks amazing! The design is really clean and crisp. I could charge the bike at home no issues without taking the battery off. I’ve not tried a belt drive but like the idea of not having to really maintain it over the long haul. Did you find it to be smoother than a chain or notice any other differences in feel from a standard chain? I bike in az and il so hills aren’t an issue so single speed should be fine. I’ll keep my eye on that bike if I decide I want to get a single speed. Wife is beyond excited to pick up her single speed bike in two weeks, we had to ship to bike shop in il to be assembled and will be flying there soon so should get some nice rides in as the weather warms up!

Back