Hello from Saskatoon!

Region
Canada
Hello! I'm Dave from Saskatoon. Just got my first BBS02 kit installed on my bike last month and I'm a convert for life!

I started cycling 2 years ago for 2 reasons: improve my health (obviously!) and necessity. I was grossly overweight and my doctor gave me some dire warnings about my heart. I'm also on disability, so maintaining a car or other vehicle is no longer an option. I needed something affordable AND practical so I purchased a fat bike from Costco.

If you've ever ridden one they make beautiful commuters! I've ridden it for the last 2 years, even through the polar vortex this winter that reached -45C. Unfortunately, this spring my doctor told me to cut down my riding due to my arthritis. This is why I installed a BBS02.

Having my freedom back is a dream. I can ride farther and longer than ever before. Everybody really should have one of these bikes lol.

Because I'm solely a commuter I have different needs than many riders. An upgrade I performed last year was installing full motorcycle lighting on my bike, including a headlight, functioning brake light, turn indicators, running lights and hazard lights. The headlight has strobe mode, low and high beams. My custom controller is built from 12v motorcycle relays and works perfectly for my needs. Once I upgraded to the BBS02 it was a simple matter of installing a 12v voltage converter to keep it running. It used less than 5% of my battery on a typical ride and makes me feel 100% safer, especially at night or street riding in winter. If anyone has questions I'll be happy to answer as best as I can. Thanks for letting me join the community!

20210810_003527.jpg

20210810_003557.jpg

20210810_003053.jpg

20210810_003105.jpg

20210808_125402.jpg

4a1ac9f4-9824-4520-9a6c-d7ae69a3644a.jpg

dae6e76c-d071-49de-84d5-766b831567ac.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the site.
The full motorcycle lighting will certainly make you more visible. Enough motorcycles are hit head on, I believe motorists mistake them for porch lights. Even the railroads went to 3 headlights.
Best of luck with your health. I find riding more make my arthritis hurt less, but what do I know?

Thanks for the greet! I agree, exercise definitely keeps the arthritis at bay. I've found there's a limit though lol, I've had more than a few days of riding unassisted more than 50km through mud, snow or uphill and my doctor says it's finally taking it's toll. A little exercise = good. As much riding as I was doing = knee surgery 🤣

Hello Dave from Saskatoon
I’m Dave from Nova Scotia and a new member as well. I found your story inspiring and really liked how you problem solved each of your issues. Your Doctor sounds pretty on the ball too.
I look forward to reading more of your contributions to this wonderful forum.
novadave

Hi Dave from Nova Scotia! The lighting upgrade was the best thing I ever did to my bike. It's kind of like swatting a fly with a hammer as far as solutions go but I think anyone who commutes should sincerely consider it. Cars approaching from behind tend to think I'm a motorcycle and actually change lanes (as they are required to do here) to pass me. Also building it was half the enjoyment 😁

Back