Hello From New Multicharger Rider!

NoobNoob

Region
Australia
Hi All,

I’ve been stalking these forums for a while and they were a big part of my decision to order a R&M Multicharger Mixte. So I thought I’d say hello from Australia and write up my thoughts for anyone else looking for feedback on this bike.

I’ve been a recreational cyclist since my teens and dabbled with commuting in my 30’s. Now in my 40’s I wanted to be more active, shed a few of kilos that crept up on me over the last few years. I’ve been cycling 50km to 70km a weekend over the last year but wanted to do more, so my eyes turned to getting a cargo bike to replace the car for functional trips like the school run, shopping, visiting friends etc.

I settled on R&M Multicharger Mixte with the Rohloff transmission, Nyon display, passenger kit, cargo front carrier and side loaders.

After a 3 month wait I picked it up and have done several hundred kilometres on it.

While the weight and physical size of the bike is quite imposing, I’ve found it amazing to ride. Having never experienced an internally geared hub or belt drive before I am super surprised at the smoothness of ride and the speed of gear change.

As to propelling the bike, I’ve found it easy to ride with the motor off, at least on the flat. The sport and turbo mode really flatten out the hills. With a load on the back I definitely will have to use the motor.

I’m still getting used to the size and weight when riding and can we a little unwieldy in tight conditions. Also getting on, even with mixte frame is a little hard for me. I adapted quickly to Rohloff shifting and Bosch controls. The cargo front carrier will take a little time to get used to as it’s so large and as it’s frame mounted, I can’t see where front wheel is so it makes me a little nervous.

It’s an extremely comfortable ride and the swept back bars and Ergon grips are very good, and found them to be less aggravating for numbness and tingling in the hands, which is great if you suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome

I’m really forward to putting many more kilometres on this.

Cheers,

noobnoob

Great review. I have the Multichargers as well but with the Vario transmission. The only issues I have had are with the supply chain of R&M. Since I ordered, there was not option to change or add items during the wait period and I wanted to add the cargo bags and even the front carrier bag. Since then I have added the TERN Cargo 30 bags and a RAD front bag then added "quick release" pedals. Then added a "Pet Gear" basket on the rear rack with some clever attachments, my dog Atticus loves riding in it. As you state, its a lumbering bike. Stable at speed and load capacity of 65 kgs on the rear rack makes it possibly a car replacement. We have done a couple of weekly grocery runs with it and even taken Atticus with us. The lower cross bar of the Mixte makes it an easy on-off process for us shorter rides and especially with the dog seated in the rear basket.

Timothy

Attachments

• IMG_3074.jpg
    IMG_3074.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 353
Great review. I have the Multichargers as well but with the Vario transmission. The only issues I have had are with the supply chain of R&M. Since I ordered, there was not option to change or add items during the wait period and I wanted to add the cargo bags and even the front carrier bag. Since then I have added the TERN Cargo 30 bags and a RAD front bag then added "quick release" pedals. Then added a "Pet Gear" basket on the rear rack with some clever attachments, my dog Atticus loves riding in it. As you state, its a lumbering bike. Stable at speed and load capacity of 65 kgs on the rear rack makes it possibly a car replacement. We have done a couple of weekly grocery runs with it and even taken Atticus with us. The lower cross bar of the Mixte makes it an easy on-off process for us shorter rides and especially with the dog seated in the rear basket.

Timothy
Great read Timothy! I looking for a solution for my little dog as well. It will make it family picnics a truly family affair if we could take our old man dog.

I’m waiting for the cargo bags to arrive but I’m the mean time I’m using some Ortlieb bags that are awesome.

I’ve managed to mount a Abus Bordo SmartX 6500 lock as well on the seat tube. It’s damn heavy but I wanted something with an alarm

Which quick release pedals did you use?

51cdw-qsjYL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

These "Quick Release" pedals were available from Amazon but if you notice they have these raised tabs. I took a file and removed them by filing them down. Lots of work but I really felt they weren't needed. There are other options of pedals that are quick release but these were the ones I preferred.

View attachment 104117

These "Quick Release" pedals were available from Amazon but if you notice they have these raised tabs. I took a file and removed them by filing them down. Lots of work but I really felt they weren't needed. There are other options of pedals that are quick release but these were the ones I preferred.
Not sure about the Multichargers ground clearance but looks like those pedals would allow for an increase in pedal strike?
They look alright though.

OK I have never had a pedal strike on the Multicharger. I think this is an issue with the Delite models because of the dual suspension. Think about it. When you hit a bump and bike sinks down, your pedal can be in a position of risk. The downward pedal would be close to the ground and when both front and rear is compressed for that moment a pedal strike can occurs. The Mulitcharger has never been offered with rear suspension

The Multicharge was designed to carry and cargo load of up to 65 kg and a rear suspension is not the ideal setup for a heavy load on the rear.

So don't worry about pedal strikes on the Multicharger.

Last edited:
I wasn't sure about the Multicharger because i have a Supercharger and it's fairly low to the ground compared to other bicycles electric or not.

So have you had a pedal strike with the Supercharger? I notice it's not rear suspended so I wonder. There have been posters who have had problems with pedals strikes and they changed the crank arms to shorter ones. I think certain models are prone to it.

So have you had a pedal strike with the Supercharger? I notice it's not rear suspended so I wonder. There have been posters who have had problems with pedals strikes and they changed the crank arms to shorter ones. I think certain models are prone to it.
Yes, transitioning from "BioBikes" to SuperCharger: several in the first few weeks, then maybe one every 10 months or so.

Yes, transitioning from "BioBikes" to SuperCharger: several in the first few weeks, then maybe one every 10 months or so.
Similar to me on SuperCharger 2 - frequent pedal strikes as I adjusted to riding it and now rarely have them as far more intentional in the way I ride and corner

Does anyone know if it's possible to add a 2nd batter to the high-bar Multicharger after it's been delivered?
We may be about to order two, but we cannot afford the 2nd batter yet.
So we may want to add it later, once we can afford it.
Is this something that can be done?

Thats a good question. The high bar Multicharger has the dual battery option upon delivery but I don't think you can do this afterwards. There is probably some hardware electronics inside the motor (BMS controller) that is different to supply the logic for a dual battery setup. I do remember this being asked on another model and it was a "NO".

Does anyone know if it's possible to add a 2nd batter to the high-bar Multicharger after it's been delivered?
We may be about to order two, but we cannot afford the 2nd batter yet.
So we may want to add it later, once we can afford it.
Is this something that can be done?
My LBS offered to get a dual battery bike for me and then “buy” the second battery off me so I had a dual battery capable bike but with only a single battery on it BUT crucially retained the option to add a second battery when I could afford it.

could be worth exploring an option like that with your LBS. I’m sure they’d be happy to get the bike sale as they could always use / sell the second battery in some other situation I would think

cheers
Sam

Sorry should have included - my understanding was you can’t add a second battery to a bike that was not configured for it from factory

Back