Hello! Diving into EBikes

JeremyW

Region
Canada
Hello Everyone,

I'm looking to get into commuting to work by e-bike. I live in Vancouver, BC. Rains quite a bit here & my commute is about 11-13KM.

I am looking to get out of the daily driving, maybe biking at least 2-3 times a week into work.

I've been looking at the RadCity 5 Plus bike which I think could serve me well. Ideally sold physically in Canada so I have somewhere to send it for servicing etc.

My goals are physical fitness & commuting.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Rad has many happy customers but their count of known problems posts on the brand forum is 275. They have a reputation of responsive service, but if one stretches the spokes their policy of shipping one spoke at a time costed one owner $70 for trueing the wheel over & over again since she couldn't do it herself.
Electric Bike Company brand have a count of 4 known problems today. They also have geared hub motors with throttle for jackrabbit starts across multilane highways that the timer sensors won't acknowledge bicycle presence to stretch the green. EBC models have 7 speed sprocket clusters that could extend your chain life to the 5000 miles I'm experiencing with that width chain. The frames are also one size fits all (maybe, but not me). The tires are 24" diameter, one model with 3" cross section for better ride. I would buy the optional larger battery to reduce the number of times I had to charge it.
If you don't have frequent stops or long hills EBC had a Direct Drive hub motor model which offers the chance of 10000 miles or more without motor service. The bearings are a common lawnmower size and are available in real steel (Argentina) from SK via MSCdirect. Unfortunately the DD drive model had a rediculous price.
Surface604 has 30 known problems today. They also have geared hub motor with the throttle, but also have torque sensing for the feel of a bike that makes you feel more powerful instead of forcing you to a known speed with cadence sensor (many brands are too fast in PAS1). The tires are 27.5", good maybe for taller people. The mountain bike model has a 9 speed sprocket, which offers the necessity to change the chain every 1500-2000 miles. Surface604 has a bafang hub motor, which offers sometimes the ability to buy replacement internal gear sets. I wore out my first hub motor gearset at ~4500 miles, an ebikeling model. I do keep a spare motor in a wheel in my garage, for 1 day turnaround if I wear out a motor. I rode home the one with worn gears, no drag unpowered.
If you think you might stop to bring home groceries, pet food or building supplies, Blix has a stretch frame cargo model, the Packa. They have one known problem today. I carry a 6'x1/2" Stainless Steel cable in my 22" pannier to lock up to electric poles & gas meters, instead of the easy-cut racks cities & stores provide. I carry a good set of tools (not for chain), 3 tubes, tire, rain & cold gear, 60 oz water summer. Packa also has a geared hub motor & 24" tires. They have a dual battery option. I live off my cargo model in the avatar (yuba bodaboda, for small people), doing without a car unless I buy a tractor implement or 12' piece of lumber, when I rent a U-haul truck. I carried 5 gallons of weed killer last summer to my summer camp,also 7 gallons of water, 60 lb groceries every week, and two weeks ago I carried 50 lb of shingles from Lowes for my home.

Last edited:
Hello Everyone,

I'm looking to get into commuting to work by e-bike. I live in Vancouver, BC. Rains quite a bit here & my commute is about 11-13KM.

I am looking to get out of the daily driving, maybe biking at least 2-3 times a week into work.

I've been looking at the RadCity 5 Plus bike which I think could serve me well. Ideally sold physically in Canada so I have somewhere to send it for servicing etc.

Thanks!
Not sure what brands you might have available locally, but given your short commute distance and your weather, you might want to consider a single speed belt drive. Almost no maintenance and fewer things to go wrong or rust.

I know Ride1UP ships to Canada, and they have a SS belt drive e-bike, but no local store. I love mine, and have 7000 miles on it, in less than 2 years.

Decent article about SS bikes here https://electricbikereport.com/are-single-speed-e-bikes-any-good/

Welcome aboard! Surface 604 is based in Vancouver. I've never ridden a mid-drive, but I could easily see commuting on my V Rook step-thru (rear hub drive with throttle).

Throttles are oddly controversial around here, but they deserve serious consideration if you'll be commuting in traffic. In my experience, the instant bursts of speed possible with a throttle make riding in traffic MUCH safer. Just 1 second of throttle, and the intersection or dicey situation is behind you — no forewarning or fiddling with gears or assist level necessary. Rarely use my throttle otherwise but really glad it's there.

Welcome aboard! Surface 604 is based in Vancouver. I've never ridden a mid-drive, but I could easily see commuting on my V Rook step-thru (rear hub drive with throttle).

Throttles are oddly controversial around here, but they deserve serious consideration if you'll be commuting in traffic. In my experience, the instant bursts of speed possible with a throttle make riding in traffic MUCH safer. Just 1 second of throttle, and the intersection or dicey situation is behind you — no forewarning or fiddling with gears or assist level necessary. Rarely use my throttle otherwise but really glad it's there.
Absolutely right, a throttle is essential in traffic for that instant acceleration, I would not ride without one !
Have you ever started on a hill with pedal assist one ? You have to press the power button a couple of times to
get to power level five.That's why the throttle is so handy!
Throttle or not, it is ridiculous to stick to some weird regulation/classification and the power should not depend on
how much you pedal. The main thing is the maximum speed that is allowed ! It should not exceed the allowable limit. Pedal assist is fine and convenient if you want some workout.

I would not ride without one
I now better appreciate the diversity of ridders and their needs and aspirations. I personally do not like throttle bikes, but they do have a legitimate place. The same goes for hub-drives. They are not my cup of tea but also have a legitimate place. A throttle/hub-drive would be best for a less experienced ridder.

When I was looking at my first ebike, the radcity was on my short list. Along with the Aventon level and the Ride1Up 700. After a couple of months, I chose the Ride1Up. I chose it for its display. It lets you change the percentage of assist at any PAS level. You can also choose how many levels you can have, 3,5,7, or 9. Not only its display, but its other components. I didn’t like the swept handlebars of the radcity and wanted the most for my money. The level was a few hundred dollars more than the 700. Honestly, I could’ve changed the handlebars of the radcity, but I also wanted a frame integrated battery. The level seemed too “flashy” with its glossy finish. The 700 series was a great choice for me. I was able to rent the radcity at an “adventure rental” place and decided that I definitely wanted a suspension fork and NOT swept back handlebars.

With the 700 series, I bike to and from work. It handles hills well. I’m 6 feet tall and 155lbs. The bike fits me just fine. My commute is 8 miles, round trip. I charge my bike after 2 days, when my battery gets to 46 volts. Hope this helps your decision. :)

Absolutely right, a throttle is essential in traffic for that instant acceleration, I would not ride without one !
Have you ever started on a hill with pedal assist one ? You have to press the power button a couple of times to
get to power level five.That's why the throttle is so handy!
Throttle or not, it is ridiculous to stick to some weird regulation/classification and the power should not depend on
how much you pedal. The main thing is the maximum speed that is allowed ! It should not exceed the allowable limit. Pedal assist is fine and convenient if you want some workout.
As a point of clarification, the pedal assist is just as instant on some ebikes. That is not to bash throttles rather that the first part of your statement is inaccurate.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your comments & greetings!

This has all been very valuable information to me! I will definitely be following up once I am ready to purchase. Right now the RadCity 5 is definitely on my short-list. I tried the RadCity 4 (can borrow them at their store in Vancouver) and was pretty happy with it, though may not be in stock when I plan to pull the trigger on these.

I will definitely share my purchase decision and experience once I do make the decision. All very helpful information :)

“ghost pedaling”
The way I set up mine, assistance increases along with the combination of pedal force & cadence, assistance then levels out at a pedaling speed of 80 RPM when you are out of the saddle and on a climb. Chainring speed is always the same as pedaling speed, so shifting is natural on these mid-drives. Just let off on pedal pressure and coast for a 1/2 second when making a shift.

Last edited:
Hello Everyone,

Thanks!
Buy Canadian! I'd recommend checking out Biktrix, I own three of their bikes and they have a store in Vancouver

Vancouver Biktrix Showroom​

2865 W Broadway​

Vancouver, BC V6K 2G6, Canada

Thanks everyone for your comments & greetings!

This has all been very valuable information to me! I will definitely be following up once I am ready to purchase. Right now the RadCity 5 is definitely on my short-list. I tried the RadCity 4 (can borrow them at their store in Vancouver) and was pretty happy with it, though may not be in stock when I plan to pull the trigger on these.

I will definitely share my purchase decision and experience once I do make the decision. All very helpful information :)
I think VoltBike is also out of Canada (in BC), and we’ve had one of their e-bikes for quite a while, and have been happy with ours. Might be another to consider.

Back