Hearing aid user

I'm currently looking for hearing aids. The prices are really high, but I wonder whether a higher price always means better quality.

Definitely not always. This decision you better make with the professional audiologist.
Make sure that you also order yourself a proper hearing aid cleaning kit, cause you gonna need that too.
Extra batteries, domes and other hearing aid supplies should be always extra at home for you.

Last edited:
This depends on the type of hearing loss you have.

For simple age related high frequency loss, cheaper, over the counter aids can offer great improvement. Be wary of the ultra cheap type though. They are often just amplifiers and don't target specific frequencies.

Some mid priced hearing aid companies, such as Eargo, offer online or over the phone consultation & testing. Some also have free return policies if their products don't help.

Before spending money on any product, it's always best to be evaluated by a professional. Some types of hearing loss, such as that caused by impacted ear wax, can be remedied without the need for hearing aids.

Pretty happy with a pair of Oticons that I got a year ago, and thankful that I could afford them at almost $3k per ear. The improvement on my previous pair was striking. Not sure if it is due to the HAs themselves or to better setup.

I have heard (no pun intended) that, like prescription drugs, the same brand of hearing aids is often much cheaper in Europe. Anyone know if this is true?

thankful that I could afford them at almost $3k per ear.
my last and sixth pair are waterproof rechargeable Phonak. I'm amazed by their technology. The Mayo Clinic has the best prices and support. There are way too many scammers. I'm blessed to be able to afford them. That said Costco has some really good deals, support, and warranty. My aids controller my phone and link with my BT TV so I can hear without others in the room from being blasted. Were I short on cash it'd be Costco. Consumer reports gives them the nod from user feedback

It's frustrating how hearing aids can be so expensive, making them inaccessible for many. Online scams and high battery costs are concerning too. Helping seniors access affordable options is a great idea for the community.
In my 60 working years I’ve only had one health plan that covered hearing aids. Thank you Steve Wynn. I’m hoping the market will x panda and $6000 HA’s are a thing of the past.

I recently watched an elderly couple in Walgreens shopping for batteries. Walgreens are 2-3 times what I paid on eBay for A grade batteries. Sadly many old fellows aren’t computer savvy and pay outrageous prices.

My hearing has been bad for many years. I've tried the cheap over the counter rigs but they were all pretty bad. Recently I decided to go to Miracle Ear get properly tested and decided to go for a set of rechargeable BTH RIC aids. I'll be going back in a couple of days to pick them up. I'm mostly curious about riding while wearing them. Is it a problem with helmets? Wind noise? Other things? I'm not too worried about it as my rides are just that: rides from my house and back usually without even stopping so I could easily just take them out while riding.

I use Eargo OTC aids which work well for me. If I'm riding alone, I'll usually take them out. If I'm with a group or in a public place, I leave them in. The wind noise can be a problem so I use these "Cat Ears" noise suppressors:

If worn as shown on your helmet straps, they completely suppress wind noise without affecting the ability to hear speech, traffic sounds, cell phone, etc.

They do look a bit goofy but I'm beyond caring what others think if the product improves my quality of life.

There isn't any way the cost of hearing aids is reasonable and or justified. Does anyone have any idea what the profit margin is?

Back