handlebar

Blimpman

I am swapping handlebars on my RadMini4. I want to reuse the grips cuz they are nice leather ones. I am having trouble getting them off the old handlebars. I can move them a little but can't pull them off. Anyone have a method to help get these off?

Lots of videos on YouTube showing many different ways, One will hopefully apply to your specific configuration.
Lifting with a screwdriver to spray lubricant is one
At 2:00 mn in the one below is using a sliding wrench to push is out

Whatever you do, remember that when you pull on a grip outside edge it stretches the grip, making its diameter smaller and therefore tighter on the bar, but when you push on a grip inside edge, like in the video, you compress the grip, making its diameter larger and therefore easier to slide

Last edited:
Or ditch the old grips and buy cool new leather clamp down style ones.
They are easy peasy on and off.
Buy a whole bunch of clamp down grips.
Now you can choose & change your grips to
suit your mood, diversion or scenario.

red grips.jpg

I watched an LBS bike mechanic remove grips with compressed air. He blew air into the small hole in the end of one of the grips and both came right off. It won't work on all bar types or grips with open ends though.

Yes, the air compressor is the best for stock rubber style grips if you have one.

I've done well with WD-40 or similar lubricant that has the spray tube. Insert under the grip as much as you can. Just be aware if you use a lubricant that you have to clean them really well before they go back on they may not stay as well. Leather grips that are not lined with rubber on the inside can be absorbent to oil as well.

Windex, dish soap solution, or other evaporating spray is better, but not always easy to get deep in there without an aerosol can.

Or ditch the old grips and buy cool new leather clamp down style ones.
They are easy peasy on and off.
Buy a whole bunch of clamp down grips.
Now you can choose & change your grips to
suit your mood, diversion or scenario.

View attachment 111122
My right hand grip is shorter (because of the throttle). Can you shorten one grip easily?

They exist in short version for that purpose

Last edited:
Windex in a syringe, injected between grip and bar with a blunt tip. Works well dissolving contact glue adhesive.

Windex in a syringe, injected between grip and bar with a blunt tip. Works well dissolving contact glue adhesive.
Same skills as changing rubber golf club grips.
Sometimes you want to re-use them so leave the knife in the drawer and use some solvent.

Back