Handlebar Options for Superdelite Mountain Rohloff?

Nickb

Region
USA
I have a Superdelite Mountain Rohloff with Nyon display on the way and wondering what my options are as far as upgrading the handlebars to something more upright/comfortable. I was informed the handlebars that come with the comfort kit would not be compatible. Is there anything else similar that would work? I am primarily using the bike as a commuter/fitness bike with occasional trail riding.

R&M don't spell out handlebar width, but if I google the bars they claim are on the Mountain Rohloff it's pretty wide at 780mm. That's a mountain bike width. You could start by cutting down the bars which will also result in you being more upright. To give you some idea, a Turbo Vado has 100mm narrower bars.

R&M don't spell out handlebar width, but if I google the bars they claim are on the Mountain Rohloff it's pretty wide at 780mm. That's a mountain bike width. You could start by cutting down the bars which will also result in you being more upright. To give you some idea, a Turbo Vado has 100mm narrower bars.
That makes sense, though ideally I’m looking for a handlebar that has more comfortable grips as well as possibly bar ends. I looked at Jones H-bars as well as I seem to remember reading on the forums that being installed on R&M bike.

Grips and bar ends are almost entirely universal. You can have different grips without changing the bars. Ergon makes stuff like you're describing. Also sqlabs

Grips and bar ends are almost entirely universal. You can have different grips without changing the bars. Ergon makes stuff like you're describing. Also sqlabs
Thanks, it's been a while since I've worked on a new bike so a lot of this is new to me again! In other words even if I wanted to copy the comfort kit handlebars it should be easy enough to do with grips and/or a new handlebar. I thought there was some issue with cabling or with the Nyon display when changing the handlebar but might have been thinking about something else?

I thought there was some issue with cabling or with the Nyon display when changing the handlebar but might have been thinking about something else?
R&M does have a thing with proprietary mounts/stems on a few bikes, but I don't know which ones have it and whether it's Kiox and/or Nyon. Probably need an actual R&M owner to confirm.

R&M does have a thing with proprietary mounts/stems on a few bikes, but I don't know which ones have it and whether it's Kiox and/or Nyon. Probably need an actual R&M owner to confirm.
ya I think their nyon mount is not the standard one that clamps to the bars.

I am looking to do something similar with my SD Mountain now I’m riding not so much single track. My solution I am looking into is changing over to the standard Superdelite stem, which is easily adjusted and rolls the handlebars upwards and backwards - or at least it did on my earlier Delite.

I have a Superdelite Mountain Rohloff with Nyon display on the way and wondering what my options are as far as upgrading the handlebars to something more upright/comfortable. I was informed the handlebars that come with the comfort kit would not be compatible. Is there anything else similar that would work? I am primarily using the bike as a commuter/fitness bike with occasional trail riding.
The SD Mountain does have a traditional stem/nyon mount so any 31.6mm bar will work in there. Check out the Surly bars or the stock Specialized Como bars from the 1st gen Como, they've got a nice sweep to them if that's what you're after.

The SD Mountain does have a traditional stem/nyon mount so any 31.6mm bar will work in there. Check out the Surly bars or the stock Specialized Como bars from the 1st gen Como, they've got a nice sweep to them if that's what you're after.
Ended up working it all out with the R&M supplied stem that is compatible with the Comfort kit as part of the upgrade...waiting on it now..

I really appreciate innerbar ends to change my grip angle, like what a drop bar bike would offer.

My acoustic bike has them and switching grip positions has allowed me to ride, do lengthy computer work, and play musical instruments without pain. This was an issue recently with my ebike (only had flat bar grips). Innerbar ends change the rotation angle of the wrist and the pressure points are different.

I really appreciate innerbar ends to change my grip angle, like what a drop bar bike would offer.

My acoustic bike has them and switching grip positions has allowed me to ride, do lengthy computer work, and play musical instruments without pain. This was an issue recently with my ebike (only had flat bar grips). Innerbar ends change the rotation angle of the wrist and the pressure points are different.
Yes I ordered the GP3 grips with medium sized bar ends for that purpose. So far my MTB straight bars that came with the bike are surprisingly comfortable though I'm looking to maximize the comfort. I did a 17 mile ride yesterday and have a 25 mile ride planned today. Looking forward to a professional fit, and am experimenting with some new saddles in the meantime. Specialized Power Pro Mirror right now and may try again to make the b17 work for me...

My bike's handle bar.
It does not drop it's glued and bolted.
Grips are $30 Brooks knock off genuine Tamaraw leather.

Attachments

• 20231108_181010.jpg
    20231108_181010.jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 64
Back