Hailong battery water damage?

iang

Region
Asia
Last week I got caught in a very heavy rain downpour and it seems water got into the battery. I often ride in the rain and this is the first time I have had a problem.
I am using a Bafang BBS01 motor.

The motor is now cutting out when using pedal assist. It kicks straight back into power. It happens about every 10 seconds when on the flat and more often when going up hills.

I opened the battery case for a few hours to dry out the inside, but I didn’t fully remove the cover to look more deeply inside. I’m ok breaking down the bafang but am less confident doing so with a battery without some advice.
I tested the battery connectors and it shows the correct voltage.

Any advice on what to try next would be very much appreciated.
Many thanks

I find in downpours the component most often inactivated is the throttle. So much so that I keep it in a grocery bag when it is raining. A couple of dry days, or 10 minutes blowing on it with a hairdryer, seems to fix it. No throttle, I have no idea. My PAS pickup has been removed from the crank and tied off since a month or two after I bought the electric power system. PAS was too fast and accelerated too fast on level 1. My battery was wrapped up against rain sun & snow by me, and there has been no problem in 4 years of riding.
If you really have a battery problem, you need to install a voltmeter probes at somewhere between +- outlet of the battery and the +- input of the controller. This meter needs to be fast acting, as your problem is ittermittant. Digital voltmeters average over 2 to 4 seconds and are not useful for seeing a quick voltage sag. Analog voltmeters (have a pointer) are quick enough, but not typically rain resistant. You need to be able to see the display while riding and the problem is occuring. This may require some sort of mount for the meter.

I would buy a new battery if it is determined to be the issue.-
The BMS control board is often mounted on the side of the Hailong, and if water gets in, it will corrode the circuit board and inhibit its protection. The cells may or may not be susceptible to water. Depends if they shrink wrapped them. Then they might stay dry, but I;ve not seen that in the one commercial Hailong I own. If they get damp or wet, the ends will corrode just from electrolysis of the water.
You can replace a BMS, if you're knowledgeable, but corroded cells are dangerous. .

P9041074.JPG

I’m not clear, was there water in the battery case? I’m with joe and other possibilities. But water and wet cells ought to be examined dried out. Using an avionics water dispersing product like ACF50 spray can could save the day.

Thanks everyone for your advice.
There was water inside the battery case.
I will open it up and investigate further to see if the battery can be salvaged.

Just a thought, but noteworthy here, are the Teslas that were submerged during the recent hurricane in Florida. The local fire departments have had to put several PARKED Tesla fires out. These cars just decided to catch fire without any use or even being moved since being submerged.

Point being, your battery, until proven good to go, should be stored carefully (not indoors?).

The battery had a little water inside, not submerged, but I appreciate these warnings and will store it outside until I decide what to do. I will test the bafang more on the weekend to make sure it is not that causing the power loss.
The battery connectors have some blue corrosion visible. Could that be an issue? Apologies for such a basic question, electricals are not my strong point!

Blue discoloration could be from arcing ...very bad ... but if it is just corrosion, cleaning it up will probably take care of the issue.

Back