Hailong Battery Quality and Safety

FrankR

Region
USA
City
Milky Way Galaxy
I see a number of threads about Hailong batteries - but mostly about how to mount, etc.

Anyone know any facts about the quality and safety of these batteries?

Hailong does make complete battery assemblies but In some instances, the term "Hailong" can refer to the case style and not necessarily the components within.

I'm not aware of any data that corelates battery failures by brand. The best rule of thumb is, "you get what you pay for". There are many internal considerations including cell type, wiring, construction, BMS, etc. Unfortunately, there is no such thing as a high quality low cost lithium battery.

You might try messaging a few other EBR members who are far more knowledgeable on the subject, such as @Ravi Kempaiah or @tomjasz.

If you're trying to keep the cost down on a new or replacement battery you could also contact @Jenny Mao. She is also a member here and her company builds custom quality batteries at a reasonable cost.

I realize this doesn't answer your question but it might point you in the right direction.

Good luck!

It is true that you get what you pay for and when it comes to batteries, one should exercise utmost caution.
What is missing in the E-bike world is automotive grade batteries that can last ~5 years of heavy duty usage with minimal capacity loss.
We do have a few Hailong batteries - 14S,5P that have single cell fusing built in and happy to provide more info if needed.

i see the reddit claim. but don’t see any link to Hailong as a battery builder?!?

It is true that you get what you pay for and when it comes to batteries, one should exercise utmost caution.
What is missing in the E-bike world is automotive grade batteries that can last ~5 years of heavy duty usage with minimal capacity loss.
We do have a few Hailong batteries - 14S,5P that have single cell fusing built in and happy to provide more info if needed.
Why do car batteries have minimal capacity loss when ebikes don't? I can think of thermal management and automated depth of discharge optimization, wondering what else... And what would be plausible in a bike setting.

Back