Hailong battery connector dimensions?

EMGX

Bottom right corner connector in the image.
Can anyone tell me the center to center distance between the posts?
Length, width and height of the posts?
Thanks for any info.
1693947385608.png

For the 4 prong I have here, these are the measurements I got,
this fits the Wart Hog MD 750 battery connections.

.264" c/c spacing distance,
.600" long,
.248" wide,
.056" thick,
+ / minus .001"
HTH's

Thanks again for the information.
The reason I asked was because on a whim I ordered a 48v 5ah Briggs and Stratton (same as snapper) garden tool battery that was on sale at Menards. I was thinking maybe the hailong connector might work but the dimensions are a little different and I only need two posts for the + and -. The other two ports are temp and charge. So I'm making my own copper post connectors.
Also found that power tool battery rating is different than ebike. 48v is max, nominal is 43v, not really enough for my 48v motor and a bit much for my 36v although I'm going to give it a try.
Battery is 12x2
Looks well put together to my eye.IMG_20230923_091138446.jpgIMG_20230923_091123922_HDR.jpgIMG_20230923_091047829_HDR.jpgIMG_20230923_091028987_HDR.jpg

I use 60V DeWalt tool batteries on my 52V bike. I use this adapter to make the connection:

I mounted the adapter to a base plate that snaps into the bike's Hailong battery mount. For now, there's even room for a bottle cage. I'm waiting for a good price on a second DeWalt battery to wire in parallel.

IMG_1203a.jpg
IMG_1198a.jpg
IMG_1195a.jpg

The fully charged battery voltage is 62.8V but the max the bike's controller will accept is 62.4. I get around the problem by only charging to 95%. Most controllers will work with a voltage higher than rated but unless you can find the specs, It's a leap of faith to determine by experiment.

A bit of caution is necessary when using these tool batteries though. Most do not have a low voltage cutoff in the battery BMS. The cutoff is in the tool for some reason. You need to monitor the voltage or the battery could be damaged if over discharged.

Last edited:
Good info
I'm pretty sure, but not certain, that the 48v will work with my 36v tsdz2 as the controller is the same as 48v version (that I've used several times with a 58.8v fully charged 48v Lifepo4). I did briefly hook the battery up to the 36v tongsheng and the display worked properly and showed full charge on the x18 display. The low voltage cutout would probably be too low for this battery but I can watch volts if I use my C3 display which accurately displays voltage. Might also try with my wife's hub motor bike, the KT controller works automatically with either 48v or 36v. Might have to adjust low voltage cutoff if it is recognized as a 48v battery.
Nice work with your mount, I think I'm just going to put it in a bag on the handlebar or frame. It doesn't have any water ingress protection so a bag would address that. There isn't a commercially available connector for the B&S battery like there is for popular power tool batteries.

A standard AC outlet plug closely matches the Hailong connector dimensions. You can cobble up a workable plug by splitting the plug on a standard extension cord.

P1080654b.jpg
P1080655b.jpg

Put a spacer between the two halves to match the Hailong jack and cover with JB Weld epoxy.

That crossed my mind but I decided to make copper connectors from a left over water pipe fitting. They'll be formed to a right angle and attached through a phenolic resin board attached to the base of the battery with something temporary like a little two sided tape or magnets so that it can be removed.

Attachments

• IMG_20230923_133558013_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230923_133558013_HDR.jpg
    581.9 KB · Views: 97
I use 60V DeWalt tool batteries on my 52V bike. I use this adapter to make the connection:

I mounted the adapter to a base plate that snaps into the bike's Hailong battery mount. For now, there's even room for a bottle cage. I'm waiting for a good price on a second DeWalt battery to wire in parallel.

View attachment 163117 View attachment 163116 View attachment 163115

The fully charged battery voltage is 62.8V but the max the bike's controller will accept is 62.4. I get around the problem by only charging to 95%. Most controllers will work with a voltage higher than rated but unless you can find the specs, It's a leap of faith to determine by experiment.

A bit of caution is necessary when using these tool batteries though. Most do not have a low voltage cutoff in the battery BMS. The cutoff is in the tool for some reason. You need to monitor the voltage or the battery could be damaged if over discharged.
It looks like your flexvolt battery has similar rated wh to my B&S battery. How far can that battery get you if you are using some level of assist most of the time? I realize that range is dependent on a lot of individual factors, I'm only trying to get a general idea.
Won't be able to ride for a few days due to some much needed rain for which I'm grateful.

On a level packed gravel surface, I get +/- 18 miles in PAS 2 at around 12MPH using a moderate amount of pedal effort . I'm sure I could get 20+ miles if I went a bit slower or used more pedal effort.

I haven't ridden much with the yard tool battery yet but it seems to work fine so far. I'll give it a range test soon hopefully. My neighborhood road ascends about 400 or so feet in 1 mile so I'm not counting on great range with this low voltage, low capacity battery but will see.
IMG_20231026_132206904_HDR.jpg

Addendum:
last week I finally got around to testing range on this bike while riding the "Historic Columbia River Hwy State Trail" going back and forth on the 4.5 mile trail for total 18 miles with ~1200ft elevation gain. First ~9 miles it did great with what felt like full power for all 5 levels and minimal voltage slump on hills. I mostly rode in level 3 but also used 4 and 5 on hills to see how it was doing. Next 4.5 miles there was a noticeable loss of assist but still quite good. Final 4.5 miles there was more reduction of assist and level 5 didn't provide any more boost than level 4. Very last couple miles there was very marked reduced assist. Any time the voltage dropped to 42v or below the display would flash a battery protection warning but that didn't affect the motor function. I forget what the final resting voltage was but probably around 42v.

Last edited:
Back