Haibike Motor Upgrading

Take it back to where you bought it.
Sound like intermittent electric connection somewhere. Drop the motor and check connections? Is your magnet on the rear spoke properly adjusted?

I would, but I'm in CA and the seller is in WI. Hopefully Haibike gets back to me and is okay covering the cost of taking it to a local dealer.
The magnet is aligned. Haven't dropped the motor yet but that's next I guess.
I have yet to read about Haibike getting back to anyone. They have a dealer network, and that is the first contact point. Haibike only wants to talk to dealers. Find the nearest dealer or call where you purchased it as a first contact.

Since Display turns off it may be loose battery(or a connection problem), does it happen when you go over bumps ?

When I had a question Haibike's distributor got back to me in a couple of days.

I would, but I'm in CA and the seller is in WI. Hopefully Haibike gets back to me and is okay covering the cost of taking it to a local dealer.
The magnet is aligned. Haven't dropped the motor yet but that's next I guess.

I would call Crazy Lenny and ask him to make it right... 😉

Which Haibike model did you buy? I also have a Haibike and have not experience any issues. I’m sure there are Haibike dealers in CA. Warranty claims don’t need to necessarily go through the same vendor where you purchased the bike. Any authorized dealer should be able to do warranty claims.

Bicycle Blue book had the 2019 Haibike Sduro Trekking S 9.0 (their top of the line model) in medium frame for $2800 few days ago. I believe it’s $2000 off retail. That one is gone now but they still have the lower bar version in xsmall for a bit higher at around $3200 I think. If you can get a refund, that maybe better bet. But since I don’t know how much you paid for your 4.0, can’t really speak to whether it meets your budget.

Are there no Haibike dealers near you? Not sure why you should need to do all that if you can leave it to the dealer. You also void the warranty if you take the electrical connections apart. If you do decide to fix it yourself, it's probably better investment to just buy a truing stand and do it yourself. It's not that hard once you get the hang of it. Watch some videos and read about spoke tensions.

no local dealers will do warranty work without explicit instruction from Haibike to do so, but since I can't get a reply from Haibike, I'm in limbo. Hopefully that makes sense. I'm not trying to do this myself, I just currently don't have other options and I've already spent money out of pocket to take it to a LBS for diagnosis of the wheels and connections. That LBS is a Haibike dealer, but again, they won't do anything unless Haibike tells them to.
I’ve actually contacted Haibike couple of months ago to source a kickstand. They are slow in their response but they do eventually get back to you. I think there’s also a phone number that you can call.

@TooMuchWitt Call the shop (instead of waiting for an email back) you got the bike from and explain the situation. They may be able to resolve this issue faster.

And let us know what they say.

@TooMuchWitt Call the shop (instead of waiting for an email back) you got the bike from and explain the situation. They may be able to resolve this issue faster.

And let us know what they say.

Agreed with the above advice.

I'll go out on a limb and say EBR is the #1 United States based ebike site with an active forum base for each particular manufacturers of ebikes, including Haibike. And the Haibike forum here is very, very active.

Whomever is running Haibike USA these days, as well as the owner of Crazy Lenny and his staff SHOULD BE DAILY MONITORING THIS SITE FOR PROBLEMS THAT ARISE SUCH AS THIS PROBLEM POSTED BY @TooMuchWitt AND IMMEDIATELY HELP THE EBIKE OWNER OUT. I'll repeat this again, Lenny and Haibike: US (even world wide) Haibike owners come here to commiserate with fellow owners; very much like the UK and DE pedelec forums do for Europe. It's really not hard to charge one of your staffers to monitor what goes on here on a daily basis, I do it. Others here do it as well. If you wish to grow the brand and foster a rep where customers know they'll be treated well after the sale goes through.....y'all will do the same.

Unlike the fictional Glen Garry Glen Ross, where the real estate staff is cranked up there to always A-B-C....Always Be Closing; it's also about making the customer happy to want to return back for a second or third or fourth sale. Not answering customer's emails, or not having some kind of partnered service agreement with other Haibike dealers to help long distance customers a few thousand miles away from Wisconsin should have been established a long time ago. You want to guarantee a non-second or third or fourth future sale? Continue on with this nonchalance towards a buyer who picked up a Haibike from you in good faith.

Haibike is a superior, well made, well engineered ebike. But the after sale support sure seems by reading these stories here; has a feel of some Alibaba, Chinese third world country vibe to it. The bike brand deserves so much more then this shoddy after sale service. Fans of the brand like myself could see this coming after owner Susanne Puello was forced out at Haibike a few years back, with the resultant US arm of Haibike becoming neglected to the point that the parent owner put the brand off to investment firm Regent. https://www.bicycleretailer.com/ind...-izip-regent-lp-mavics-new-owner#.XzB-WyhKhPY

Witt, as a Haibike owner, I feel your pain; but never had a chance to experience it first hand as you, both as a CL buyer of my Haibike and a 3 year plus Haibike owner.

My advice is to again contact CL as to advise on local help as it is not practical nor sane to pack and ship your bike to WI. Apparently HaibikeUSA does not wish to talk to owners; to that, their line of communication (lol) is between an authorized dealer and only an authorized dealer. Right now, on what you've reported, it sounds like a connection somewhere is not making full contact. But I fear you even poking in the downtube after dropping the motor (if you have already done this), will be a means for some folks in voiding your warranty from here on out, based on their non-responsiveness to help you up to this point.

Apologies for the rant. But this is not the first time us Haibike owners have read of this non-responsiveness both from Haibike USA and CL on this EBR forum.

Indeed, Witt, keep us posted as to what CL and Haibike does for your problem.

The Haibike warranty language only gives 2 conditions to obtain warranty service:

TO OBTAIN SERVICE UNDER THIS WARRANTY, YOU MUST:
  1. Fill out a claim form on this site OR return your fully assembled Haibike bicycle to a Haibike Bicycles Authorized Dealer within the United States of America. A bicycle that has had the components removed cannot be evaluated or warranted.
  2. Provide proof of purchase, including but not limited to the retail bill of sale, your credit or debit card receipt, or other satisfactory proof of the date of purchase.
(I bolded the OR )

Yes, CL should coordinate with a dealer local to you. But they shouldn't have to. Your local dealers should be contacting Haibike not refusing to look at your bike until you do. You're still in the 30 day window for parts AND labor to be covered so the local dealer is not out anything other than more lucrative work they may have lined up.

My guess is Haibike support for dealers is just as hopeless as it is for end users, so the dealers don't want anything more to do with it than they need to.

@BlackHand,

What year model is this for - 2020? Also, do you know whether this is a known issue (recall) that applies to all 2020 Haibike Sduro Trekking 4.0? I ask, because I just purchase a brand new 2020 Haibike Sduro Trekking 4.0 (pulled the trigger online less than 5 minutes ago). 😓

Witt, nice feedback and good on ya for digging into the situation and attending to some issues.

I'll suggest you go to youtube and look up the Park Tools website and type in derailleur adjustment. Calvin Jones, the head mechanic in most of those videos, does a great job explaining how to set the high and low adjustments as well as the barrel adjustment at your trigger shifter to set the indexing right. He breaks it down for us novices and makes it clear that anyone is capable of doing this, armed with their videos and information. It's what I did for my own Haibike Full FatSix, last month after changing out the front chain ring, chain, rear sprocket and installing a new derailleur (11k miles on my Full Fat6 and this stuff was in need of replacement due to normal wear).

I'm most sure they even have info on wheel truing.

Not impressed at all with Crazy L's lack of immediate response, but I feel they were fair in offering to pay for the warranty bill after repairs were made by a qualified Yamaha/Haibike tech. But especially not impressed by Haibike USA's non-response.

Any shop worth a hill of beans can fix the wheel truing situation for you.

Good luck, happy riding! Once you get that bike dialed in, I believe you are going to be very happy with the Yamaha edrive system. A shame things had to be off to a rocky start right out of the box for you.

Witt, I'm old enough to have experienced the moped craze in the late 70's as a means for younger people like myself to get around in a time when gas was going through those rationing days!

It seemed like everywhere, moped dealers were sprouting up like weeds to take advantage of a buying public eager to jump in. I was one of those young adults, buying my AMF Roadmaster out of a gas station. Here today, gone tomorrow! Engine parts; well I had to find a McCullouch chain saw dealer.

Haibike USA has that feel of those old moped days; here today, gone tomorrow. And it should not be cause the bike is just as good, maybe even better then the product sold by Trek or Giant or Specialized. But while those guys have established dealerships that take care of their customers. it seems Haibike has gone the route of the moped brands sold out of those gas stations! :rolleyes:

Get yourself a quarter inch drive torque wrench and sockets to fit it as well as the heads on those engine mount bolts. Retorque them to the torque spec inscribed on them; using anti-seize on the threads to prevent any issues removing them in the future.

Yamaha has a detailed service manual online for the PW drive, which is relatively similar to your engine drive; called the X94 service manual. It's on line and free to download. Not sure if they have a current manual devoted to your particular motor, but that X94 manual will have info pertinent to cross over to your motor.

Really glad to hear that you seem to have solved the cut out issue. It's nice to see someone not let a bad dealer/brand experience sour them on their bike.

Haibike is an established successful company, but the US distribution was sold to a different company a year or 2 ago and it sounds like they aren't interested in building the brand here.

Once you get the derailleur indexed the bike will be SO much more of a joy to ride.

@BlackHand,

What year model is this for - 2020? Also, do you know whether this is a known issue (recall) that applies to all 2020 Haibike Sduro Trekking 4.0? I ask, because I just purchase a brand new 2020 Haibike Sduro Trekking 4.0 (pulled the trigger online less than 5 minutes ago). 😓
I have no firsthand knowledge, but it sounds like a random QC issue to me. Pretty much everything I know about the Trekking 4.0 is in this thread and the review posted by the other owner.

I have a 2019 Trekking 9.0 S myself. Other than the wheels being out of true the only other build quality problems I've had were a couple loose spokes and a few loose bolts here and there when I put it together.

Witt, I'm old enough to have experienced the moped craze in the late 70's as a means for younger people like myself to get around in a time when gas was going through those rationing days! It seemed like everywhere, moped dealers were sprouting up like weeds to take advantage of a buying public eager to jump in. I was one of those young adults, buying my AMF Roadmaster out of a gas station. Here today, gone tomorrow! Engine parts; well I had to find a McCullouch chain saw dealer.

Haibike USA has that feel of those old moped days; here today, gone tomorrow. And it should not because the bike is just as good, maybe even better than the product sold by Trek or Giant or Specialized. But while those guys have established dealerships that take care of their customers. it seems Haibike has gone the route of the moped brands sold out of those gas stations! :rolleyes:

Get yourself a quarter-inch drive torque wrench and sockets to fit it as well as the heads on those engine mount bolts. Retorque them to the torque spec inscribed on them; using anti-seize on the threads to prevent any issues removing them in the future. Yamaha has a detailed service manual online for the PW drive, which is relatively similar to your engine drive; called the X94 service manual. It's online and free to download. Not sure if they have a current manual devoted to your particular motor, but that X94 manual will have info pertinent to cross over to your motor.

Thanks for posting... here is the link for the Yamaha EBike systems X94 service manual. ;)

1597291088331.png

Back