GX (or GXi) NY

nycmd

Hi all,
I'm looking to get a bike to commute 10 miles from Brooklyn to midtown Manhattan. I'd like it to be folding and light, since I have to carry it up a flight of steps on one end and in an elevator on the other. I usually use a Citibike to the subway, but I end up super sweaty in summer. I'm hoping I could avoid that (and the subway) by using an ebike. I test rode a GX and really liked it, but I have minimal experience with e-bikes. I especially appreciated the enclosed drive train, which would reduce getting dirty and maintenance (I hope). That said it's relatively expensive. I'd love to hear if people are happy with their GX or GXi and if there is anything I should know in advance. Also, any feedback on NYC dealers would be great. Thanks!

Hi. I haven't had the opportunity to take my GXi on a subway or train yet. It is "hoist-able" - it can be a bit ornery to steer when folded / pushing it along (something you have to learn). It is easier to fold and unfold. I also like the ability to go throttle mode (an option in the US). You'll probably see that other owners have mentioned the need for another gear (has 3). I would agree on that point. I believe (no proof) that it was designed for hilly locations -- my area is pretty flat and I don't use the 1st gear much at all.

If you get one of the Gocycles with the full dashboard, make sure you have the seller/dealer turn the bike on and show you how to work (understand it). I had to exchange my first GXi because the dashboard was defective (fortunately for me, the dealer exchanged it for a working one).

another option could be the Brompton electric 6 speed - we have one as well. it is smaller and lighter. no throttle mode. would be easier to haul around and take on / off trains/subways. the ride is stiffer than the Gocycle.

Good luck.

Back