Getting Ready For an eBike

Aha! That's the 2" "super duty 1up rack".

With my inquiry (receiver of 1.25", ebike weight without battery of 51 lbs), they said the regular eBike QuikRack would work.

Hmm. This is what I asked, from my email:

I have an electric bike that weighs 50 pounds (battery off). Only need to carry one. Which rack do I need? Thanks.

They sent me this link:

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

This is the heavier duty rack. Maybe I'll just follow their advice to you and save the $70. I'm sure it's right on the edge of the weight that requires the additional support. Or maybe they just flip a coin:D.

They are fairly light racks.

Hope you love the bike. The maintenance on bikes is fairly simple.

Just a word of caution depending on what eBike you get. If you get a hub motor ebike, with a large weight bias towards the rear its going to give a nasty teeter-totter effect with only a 1.25" hitch when carrying only 1 bike (not so much with a 2" hitch). Rear racks are much more stable if the weight is distrubuted evenly about the center, which can usually be corrected by carrying a 2nd similar bike mounted the opposite direction. Not an issue if the bike carry's its weight in the middle like a mid drive.

Note: the strap helps with fore/aft wobble but not with roll.
Well, that explains the wobble I have been having.

GeorgeS,

I just pulled the trigger and ordered a black 1up QuikRack, in black, for the 1.25" hitch.

Very solid list you have over there. Gotta applaud your meticulousness.
Wanted to share few points you had missed.
  1. When you purchase a hitch mount bike rack + step-through frame bike, it is essential you get a top-bar adapter. Really helps you in mounting the bike sturdily.
    Step-through designs lack a top bar and it becomes tricky to secure the bike just using levers that latch onto the tires. Here is an example of the top-bar accessory. (2nd pic gives you better idea).

2. Get few extra straps for secure mounting, as Gus pointed out.

3. Although the rear tire is a quick-release type, I would use Schwalbe Marathon Plus (26" x 1.75", Evo Street dimensions). This greatly eliminates the fear of flats, especially for someone who is new to E-bikes.
    On the front tire, you can use a tire liner. I can't stress enough the choice of a good tire. DON'T skimp on this!
    Schwalbe Marathon Plus - 26x 1.75.JPG

4. The stock pedals may work fine but Ergon makes some really nice pedals. This is up to your discretion.
    Shimano Saint is another fantastic pedal but the sharp pins often scratch the shoe soles (can get annoying if you have some formal shoes).
    Ergon pedals.JPG Shimano Saint.JPG

5. You can remove the battery and seatpost to reduce some weight on your bike rack.

6. Charge your battery and drain it back to ~10% for the first few charge cycles. This helps in balancing the cell voltage. Afterwards, you should charge whenever you use the bike (don't overcharge it !)

7. If you're concerned about losing your seatpost & saddle, you can get a seatpost collar to make little extra safe.

8. I would suggest you a suspension seatpost but it will raise the saddle height further up and make it harder as you're vertically challenged already.

9. Parktool has an excellent chain cleaner and keeping the drive train clean is absolutely essential.

10. Once you clean the bike drive train, you can apply dry teflon lube ( it leaves polymer residue and doesn't attract dirt or grit)

11. Ortleib makes some really nice panniers. White Back Roller Rear Classic matches Evo Street color :) but it is expensive.

Well, you see, it's never about the bike :) but don't forget to enjoy the ride.

Last edited:
Thanks Lenny! Good list.

I already have a top bar adapter, one I purchased last year, made by Allen bike racks. I've used that with my 10 speed hybrid ladies bike.

I already have extra cords and tie downs from using a different bike rack.

Taking note of the back tire suggestion, thanks for that.

Will wait on if I need a suspension seatpost or anything else for the seat until I've had a chance to test my butt in saddle.

Noted the rest of your suggestions. More to learn and consider.

This whole "sweating the details" just in thinking of purchasing an eBike is kind of exhausting!!

I haven't used this exact model hitch carrier but I did use an older Curt carrier. They work great. $140.00 at Amazon.

Curt 18084 Hitch-Mounted Tray-Style Bike Rack
"New for 2013 are Curt Manufacturing's hitch-mounted tray-style bike racks. The 18084 bike rack offers an easy and convenient solution for transporting your bikes. This bike rack carries two bikes and up to 90 lbs. with either a 1 1/4" or 2" shank. The padded arms easily adjust to fit men's, women's, or kid's size bikes. The tilt away feature allows for rear vehicle access while the bike rack attached to your vehicle. The threaded shank adds stability and prevents wobble while the bike rack is in use. The sides of the rack fold up when not in use, creating a sleek product behind your vehicle. Please keep in mind, any Curt bike rack used with a 1 1/4" receiver tube requires the use of a support strap (Curt 18050). Failure to use a support strap will void the warranty of the trailer hitch and / or bike rack."
Hi! Before I buy one of these, I wanted to check with you to see how it has worked out. My Pedego is about 50 lbs without the battery, and I'd like to carry my daughter's regular bicycle as well. I'm a little nervous because of the warranty issue, but I really cannot afford the Thule, and my hitch will be 1 and 1/4 inches. How has your experience been with the Curt 18084? You've used it with an e-bike, right? Thanks for your help!

Hi! Before I buy one of these, I wanted to check with you to see how it has worked out. My Pedego is about 50 lbs without the battery, and I'd like to carry my daughter's regular bicycle as well. I'm a little nervous because of the warranty issue, but I really cannot afford the Thule, and my hitch will be 1 and 1/4 inches. How has your experience been with the Curt 18084? You've used it with an e-bike, right? Thanks for your help!
Hi Christine,

The Curt I have is an older model as I noted, it's very much like 18084, but not identical. All the hitches I've owned are 2" and on pickup trucks. That said there has been a lot of research here on carry racks and for a heavy bike or bikes the 1 UpUSA gets good marks by most here that own it.

http://electricbikereview.com/community/threads/1upusa-bike-rack.1648/#post-19999

Curt makes very good hitches and carry racks, I've owned several of their products. If I was in the market for an ebike carrier for a car or light truck, I would go with the experience here and give serious consideration to the 1 Up.

I hope you are able to find what you need.

Thanks for your post, J.R. That does look like a good rack. Unfortunately, it's twice the price of the Curt rack, which is rated for 90 lbs total. I didn't think I'd hear back from you so quickly, and I was impatient, so I went ahead and ordered the Curt on Amazon. Uhaul will install my hitch receiver this week for only $146 (no electric work since my car is too old to tow anything anyway!), so I'll see how it goes. If it doesn't seem safe, I may have to shell out the money for the 1Up. It really does look like a great option, as long as I could somehow get my daughter's bike in the car. Buying an add-on rack would just double the price again. :( I'll let people know how it goes. Thanks again!

P.S. One thing I've been wondering: Does converting a 1.25 inch hitch receiver to a 2 inch hitch receiver change the maximum carrying capacity from 200 lbs. to 300 lbs.? I don't see any 2 inch hitches available for my car, so I'm guessing that the carrying capacity doesn't change--just the dimension of the receiver. I'll ask at U-haul. In any case, another advantage of the 1Up is that is only weighs something like 23 or 27 lbs., whereas the Curt rack I chose weighs close to 50 lbs.!

Thanks for your post, J.R. That does look like a good rack. Unfortunately, it's twice the price of the Curt rack, which is rated for 90 lbs total. I didn't think I'd hear back from you so quickly, and I was impatient, so I went ahead and ordered the Curt on Amazon. Uhaul will install my hitch receiver this week for only $146 (no electric work since my car is too old to tow anything anyway!), so I'll see how it goes. If it doesn't seem safe, I may have to shell out the money for the 1Up. It really does look like a great option, as long as I could somehow get my daughter's bike in the car. Buying an add-on rack would just double the price again. :( I'll let people know how it goes. Thanks again!

P.S. One thing I've been wondering: Does converting a 1.25 inch hitch receiver to a 2 inch hitch receiver change the maximum carrying capacity from 200 lbs. to 300 lbs.? I don't see any 2 inch hitches available for my car, so I'm guessing that the carrying capacity doesn't change--just the dimension of the receiver. I'll ask at U-haul. In any case, another advantage of the 1Up is that is only weighs something like 23 or 27 lbs., whereas the Curt rack I chose weighs close to 50 lbs.!
Curt makes fantastic products, you just need to make sure you don't exceed capacities of your hitch, cargo carrier or automobile. This information may be helpful: Understanding Towing.

Receiver hitch cargo carriers don't have benefit of weight carrying axle and wheels, hence there is significant torsional strain where the carrier square tube meets the receiver hitch and that's where "tongue weight" (TW) is extremely important, not to exceed. Adding a 2" hitch adapter to a 1.25" hitch actually lowers the carrying capacity a little and makes the entire setup a little less stable to where you will have a little more rattling and movement of the carrier. That's not to say they don't work safely, as long as you do not exceed the manufactures specified carrying capacity.

Read all the documentation you get with your hitch and carrier and don't hesitate to ask questions of the hitch installer.

You seem like a perfect candidate for one of the upcoming wave of friction drive assists to use on a regular bike.
Light weight, easy on and off for security and charging, no specialty E bike store needed, etc.
Wave of the future IMO.

George S,

I saw your earlier post about the 1up rack and that is the rack I'm most interested in right now. My question, which I cannot find on their website or anywhere else is: will the 1up rack be able to hold one 57 lb eBike?

I sent a message to them via their website (yesterday) but have not heard back. I don't need to carry 2 or more bikes as it's just me.

As for learning to change a back tire (or any tire), I will have to have a lesson on that. I've watched some YouTube vids in the past but that was not for an eBike.

And getting the eBike up and onto a frame hitch rack is going to be something I need to figure out. Maybe I can figure out a homemade ramp of sorts to at least help me from having to lift it all up.

Take the battery off the bike when hauling it! Lifting one wheel at a time while the other is planted is very very little weight. A strong man can lift a 300lb dirt motorcycle into the back of a pickup truck lifting one wheel at a time. If you can lift 20lbs you can load the bike one wheel at a time. Lifting the wheel and tire specifically, not by the frame. ;)

Back