Getting rads of attention

dm nelson

While my inner child gleefully enjoys this new ebike experience, on roads & light trails, my shy adult is a bit self conscious about the attention this ebike gets. My partner & I both have Radrovers and routinely encounter other's inquiries while riding here in Northern California. I've been cycling city & mtn bikes most my life and haven't received so much attention, which was fine with me. I suppose having these 4" fat tires, downtube battery, and other attachments look novel or interesting to people. It's not exactly stealth. We don't live near a beach or snow where fat bikes might be more common. I usually just smile, answer their question & move on. I'm curious if anyone else is experiencing noticeable ebike attention where you live & if so, how you deal with it?

I just smile and talk to them about how much fun it is, and how much I save on gas. I say "you should get one to, you'll love it."

Sometimes I let them ride it up the road. Never had anyone just ride off yet!!

I really want to see more riders in my area.

I just smile and talk to them about how much fun it is, and how much I save on gas. I say "you should get one to, you'll love it."

Sometimes I let them ride it up the road. Never had anyone just ride off yet!!

I really want to see more riders in my area.
That's wonderful, being a generous advocate for (e)bikes! I'll keep that in mind, myself. The more, the better. Letting others test drive the bike is awesome. I might take a page out of my old professor's notebook, though, and request a simple collateral, such as a credit card or drivers licence, exchanged for return of the bike ;)

We returned to bike riding about 2 1/2 yrs ago on the local bike paths and haven't seen an ebike yet and only a hand full of fat tire MTB. I think I've seen 20X more recumbent or tandem bikes than fat tire bikes. The wife and I just got our Black and White RadRovers in ABQ, NM, a few weeks ago and hit the paved bike paths and dirt trails. Night rides are especially fun because with have the trails and paths to ourselves.

Only one person (on a recumbent bike) knew exactly we were riding RadRovers. Everyone else just does a double-take with a look of confusion on their face that seems to say; "Is it a mountain bike or small motorcycle with pedals?" Most folks around here get their bikes from Walmart, Craigslist, or pawn shop. I wouldn't be surprised if we had the few or even the only RadRovers in the entire state.

Good for you for being an ambassador for the future. I wanted to ask how you like the RadRover, but I'm not sure this is the proper part of the forum to do so.

Good for you for being an ambassador for the future. I wanted to ask how you like the RadRover, but I'm not sure this is the proper part of the forum to do so.

The wife and I love them. Not as hard as I thought they would be to pedal for a +60lbs bike with only 7 gears. We like to ride together; but, she really couldn't keep up with my normal pace and we are between 5000-5500ft and a little hilly every place except the Rio Grande river trail. She now can set the pedal assist at any level to keep the same pace as me. If she needs more power in a hurry, she just uses the handlebar throttle to get the full 750w at anytime. We still get the same workout; but, we just go further and faster in the same amount of time. I think she was getting discourage before on the bike paths with our old GT Transeo commuter type bikes when everyone would tell her "on your left" and pass us all the time. She is having so much fun using the bell and passing everyone on their left.

The Radrover is a great value multi-use ebike, imho. It floats down the streets nicely with as much peddle assist as you need. I tuned it up and rode it as a bike before ever turning on the battery. Heavy, yes, but cruised along the flats with little effort, once it get going. Up hill is a workout, without power. Powered the bike zips along great. I've taken it on trails and find it is best suited for light trails appropriate for the shocks, brakes, tires & weight. I have a nice mtn bike that is more suited for difficult trail conditions which require some skill as well as the right bike. I'm sure there are better ebikes designed specifically for road or mtn use, some costing a whole lot more. But to have just one ebike, this one covers a lot of bases at a generous price. I'm glad others are enjoying their Rad, also. I can relate to the comment that others wonder if they're part motorcycle or mtn bike. I happy to experience it as both. :)

The wife and I love them. Not as hard as I thought they would be to pedal for a +60lbs bike with only 7 gears. We like to ride together; but, she really couldn't keep up with my normal pace and we are between 5000-5500ft and a little hilly every place except the Rio Grande river trail. She now can set the pedal assist at any level to keep the same pace as me. If she needs more power in a hurry, she just uses the handlebar throttle to get the full 750w at anytime. We still get the same workout; but, we just go further and faster in the same amount of time. I think she was getting discourage before on the bike paths with our old GT Transeo commuter type bikes when everyone would tell her "on your left" and pass us all the time. She is having so much fun using the bell and passing everyone on their left.
I assume your wife is shorter and smaller then men, so I was wondering how she finds the standover height and reach to the handlebars. I'm only 5'8" and a little concern that the size might be a bit too big for me. What do you think?

My wife if 4'11" and I'm 6'3" (we are both 50 yrs old). I have the seat at max height and she is at min height (min height with the RadRover seatpost rear fender attached). She can stand over the RadRover. I don't think someone shorter than that could straddle the Rad Rover. She has no problems with the handle bar height or getting on/off the ebike. I have an XL frame GT Transeo commuter bike with 4" handlebar raiser with large hands grips similar to the RadRover and my hands still get numb on rides over 30 mins with the GT. We have yet to get numb hands even after a hour ride on the RadRover. I like I only have to raise/lower the RadRover seat if we need to switch bikes.

mrgold so interesting that your wife at 4'11" can stand over the top tube, i am 5' 6" and barely clear it and have to tip the bike over a lot to mount

i do have a little bit bigger seat on mine and this does move me forward toward the taller part of the tube a small amount

mine is also a 2015 and the top tube is 1 inch taller

supergoop that being said - yes the bike is too big for me female at 5' 6" but i love it
agree with others it is amazing how easy it is to pedal without power in the flats
and it is just super comfortable to ride

but i had my lbs put on 5 inch rise handlebars and this moves the things back to reach me better and for me is a better overall position being a little more upright

i actually rode a 2016 the other day with the 1 inch shorter top tube and could not tell a difference at all with the height on my 2015...

when i was deciding on ordering a 2016 and selling my 2015 to get the shorter height i ask rad about any owners in my state, they pointed me toward their facebook page and thought i might could hook up with someone there

decided against the 2016 for other reasons
but supergoop if possible to find someone that would let you see theirs and ride it i would do it for sure
it is a big bike

if you are in AZ you could ride mine

also agree with nelson that this is a nice bike for medium type off road trails but not a serious, agile mtn bike

most of my off roading is done on dirt/gravel forest roads in varying conditions and it has been great for that , even in pretty washed out areas

Makes me happy hearing of others who have gotten back into cycling by having the (750W) peddle assist. I imagine owners of many different branded ebikes are having that powerful, youthful experience. While the radrover is a good value, street/trail bike it's not gonna fit all bodies. One must have the size and strength to handle a 60 lb bike. I'm 5'8'', my partner 5'11' and it fits us well. I'm frequently encountering questions from those who see me with the bike. I'm happy to advocate the benefits of ebiking as a form of commuting, doing errands, exercise, and adventure. I'm enjoying learning from other's experiences on this site, as well as Court's excellent reviews.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I did a standover height comparison between 2016 RadRover, Voltbike Yukon 500 and the newest Yukon 750. Link: https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/new-voltbike-yukon-750-spotted.8120/

These are all similar design, specs and price range. At the end, I have the Yukon 750 on order. I am in Canada, so that also added to my decision because shipping the Rad to my location is much higher.

I was surprised to see that the newest Yukon 750 has the most standover clearance, even though the Radrover had the lowest drop. This is similar to what @vincent said. The seat on the RadRover pushes the standing rider forward onto the quickly rising top-tube.

Below are some quick pics, but check out my link for additional comments. I drew a line on top of the wheels, which we know is around 29" diameter.
rixbi1.jpg

20tko3k.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your comments. I did a standover height comparison between 2016 RadRover, Voltbike Yukon 500 and the newest Yukon 750. Link: https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/new-voltbike-yukon-750-spotted.8120/

These are all similar design, specs and price range. At the end, I have the Yukon 750 on order. I am in Canada, so that also added to my decision because shipping the Rad to my location is much higher.

I was surprised to see that the newest Yukon 750 has the most standover clearance, even though the Radrover had the lowest drop. This is similar to what @vincent said. The seat on the RadRover pushes the standing rider forward onto the quickly rising top-tube.

Below are some quick pics, but check out my link for additional comments. I drew a line on top of the wheels, which we know is around 29" diameter.
rixbi1.jpg

20tko3k.jpg
Nice looking Canadian ebike! Enjoy taking it out for a spin, along with any attention the bike brings.

My 4'11" wife has to be on the balls of her feet with 2016 RadRover to stand over upright. She still has to tilt it to one side to mount. I also have an aftermarket seat (Sunlite Cloud 9, $30, Amazon); which, is wider, softer, ventilated, and longer than the standard seat.

Just got back from riding our RadRovers to the annual Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta with +600 balloon lifting off this morning. We got a lot of compliments and double-takes the 5 miles we rode the bike path to the park (next to impossible and expensive to park near the park).

My 4'11" wife has to be on the balls of her feet with 2016 RadRover to stand over upright. She still has to tilt it to one side to mount. I also have an aftermarket seat (Sunlite Cloud 9, $30, Amazon); which, is wider, softer, ventilated, and longer than the standard seat.

Just got back from riding our RadRovers to the annual Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta with +600 balloon lifting off this morning. We got a lot of compliments and double-takes the 5 miles we rode the bike path to the park (next to impossible and expensive to park near the park).
From this description I can picture the balloons, beautiful Sandia mtns and some Radrovers getting attention! I lived many years in the White Mtns of AZ and frequently went to or through Albuquerque.

Very cool! I gathered specs for the latest RadRover when filming in Mexico but just haven't published the full review yet (with Interbike and traveling going on). I do my measurements about five inches in front of the seat post to simulate an actual standing point and got the following:
  • 2017 Voltbike Yukon 750 standover height: 29.5"
  • 2017 Rad Power Bikes RadRover standover height: 31.5"
I feel more confident about the Voltbike measurement because I have processed the video but this is what I had written for the pre-review of the RadRover, hope it helps! Great pictures you made with the line there @SuperGoop

Very cool! I gathered specs for the latest RadRover when filming in Mexico but just haven't published the full review yet (with Interbike and traveling going on). I do my measurements about five inches in front of the seat post to simulate an actual standing point and got the following:
  • 2017 Voltbike Yukon 750 standover height: 29.5"
  • 2017 Rad Power Bikes RadRover standover height: 31.5"
I feel more confident about the Voltbike measurement because I have processed the video but this is what I had written for the pre-review of the RadRover, hope it helps! Great pictures you made with the line there @SuperGoop
Thanks to your review my partner & I are happy Rad owners, Court. Fortunately the cockpits fit us well, with only seat and small riser adjustments. That was a fun video of you and others down on the Mexican dunes. I'm inspired to get outside right now and peddle assist myself high up the local hills for a beautiful Fall view.

The Radrover is a great value multi-use ebike, imho. It floats down the streets nicely with as much peddle assist as you need. I tuned it up and rode it as a bike before ever turning on the battery. Heavy, yes, but cruised along the flats with little effort, once it get going. Up hill is a workout, without power. Powered the bike zips along great. I've taken it on trails and find it is best suited for light trails appropriate for the shocks, brakes, tires & weight. I have a nice mtn bike that is more suited for difficult trail conditions which require some skill as well as the right bike. I'm sure there are better ebikes designed specifically for road or mtn use, some costing a whole lot more. But to have just one ebike, this one covers a lot of bases at a generous price. I'm glad others are enjoying their Rad, also. I can relate to the comment that others wonder if they're part motorcycle or mtn bike. I happy to experience it as both. :)

I too love my Radrover with few and little problems that I may not had if I paid $3000.00 or
more for it, It has limitations that the weight and motorcycle size tires produce. Tight single-
track is a hand full and a good workout ! I was having a lot of chain drops off of the front
chain ring, So I removed 2 links from the chain and it is better now. On single track I am
still having drops. I did 1o miles of single track last weekend with 3 drops of the chain !
I'm going to remove 2 more links . . . Link pins are not cheap at 3 bucks each !

I too love my Radrover with few and little problems that I may not had if I paid $3000.00 or
more for it, It has limitations that the weight and motorcycle size tires produce. Tight single-
track is a hand full and a good workout ! I was having a lot of chain drops off of the front
chain ring, So I removed 2 links from the chain and it is better now. On single track I am
still having drops. I did 1o miles of single track last weekend with 3 drops of the chain !
I'm going to remove 2 more links . . . Link pins are not cheap at 3 bucks each !
Single track with this bike is impressive! Regularly I still ride my much lighter and better equipped mtn bike for, what I call, single track trails. With all that radrover weight I can imagine the chain may bounce around. Perhaps upgrading to Alivio derailleur might add more chain tension. It's one step up from the stock derailleur, and will still integrate with the 7 speed shifter and cogs. Happy exploring!

I agree with your thoughts, @dm nelson. The Alivio is a better built derailleur that's not all plastic and has longer arms to the rollers to better accommodate some of those super wide freewheels. This derailleur will last longer and holds adjustments better. It's an inexpensive upgrade. A bash guard or chain guide can also help with front chainring hops. Also suggest looking for a stiff link or two. Something as simple as that can cause a chain to jump and again not unusual with a new bike. If you do find this is an issue, any standard chain tool comes with a link spreader, just be careful to not overdo it and have the pins too loose.

Back