Genze Gearing

bevhoward

I got a Genze just before they bailed out of the US, and, I have to say, that I love the 101. I'm pushing 80 and had tried to start riding again several times in the last couple of decades, but it took the electric assist to make it possible in my case.

We live west of Austin, Tx in the "hill country" and the 101's gearing makes it impossible to get up most hills without battery assist. Even with assist, there are several hills on my daily ride, one in particular, where it's almost impossible to climb with battery assist and me putting all of my weight on the pedals in first gear.

So, I'm waiting for a second chain ring which I will install on the crank. The question is how best to mount a front derailleur since the Genze's Vertical (seat) post is 40mm in dia and the only clamp options I have found so far are 28+mm and 31+mm.

Any tips appreciated,
Beverly Howard

I understand from this bikeforums post, you need a front derailleur adapter, this one by LitePro is 41mm diameter so you may need some sort of shim, maybe a piece of old inner tube wrapped around, or something stronger but inner tube works under my torque arm hose clamps. You can find other 40mm FD clamp adapters on Amazon.

Here in DC we have a Texas style barbecue restaurant called “Hill Country”, good food!

Last edited:
I make clamps out of a 1" strip cut out of a case of a dead box fan. I use compound weiss cutters. Then I file down the sharp points. Then I drill one #9 hole near one end, a line of them every 1/2" near the other end. I use 1" or 1 1/2" # 10 screws to tighten the clamp around a post. 5 mm screws would work too.
Front derailleurs require such frequent adjustment I am dubious about adding one to an existing bike. I was happy on the hills around here with the 21 speeds of my Pacific Quantum MTB, but wasn't happy about it throwing me over the handlebars on my chin, twice. Looking for a cargo bike, I bought the one left that has speeds 32:32 to 52:11, with a triple front crank. Even with SRAM shifter, I can only get the 32 ring most of the time. But with that I can pedal 80 lb cargo plus me up a 15% grade. I added electricity later, a front geared hub motor and a luna battery. Brackets to hold those things are not hard to assemble out of aluminum angle & #10 screws. BTW the cargo bike hasn't thrown me on my chin yet: ~5800 miles. I'm age 70.

Thanks guys... great information.

Will probably roll my own as suggested, both because of the price but also the litepro has a delivery estimate of Jan 22.

fwiw, I've been over the handlebars during my riding last century, so, I am doing everything possible to avoid it... the Genze's disk brakes make it more comfortable than the rim squeezers that have failed or grabbed and done the dirty deed.

The parts don't get here until this weekend, but I will post again when I have some results.

Beverly Howard

Note; a quick check at the dark website (amazon) turned up this adapter at less than half the price, quicker delivery and no shipping charge

Last edited:
Back