Gain Range Extender

I can't seem to insert a photo of the purple light. But this is a screen shot of the fault code showing on the app. Orbea seems to think they need to replace the Range Extender Battery.

Attachments

• IMG_0833.PNG
    IMG_0833.PNG
    230.7 KB · Views: 487
I can't seem to insert a photo of the purple light. But this is a screen shot of the fault code showing on the app. Orbea seems to think they need to replace the Range Extender Battery.
Seems reasonable if it doesn't happen with the aux battery detached.

I just got a replacement external battery. I seem to recall that when the previous battery was connected that the app indicated 200% battery capacity. Now it shows the level of each battery separately. Anyone know how theirs shows in the app?

Attachments

• IMG_0864.PNG
    IMG_0864.PNG
    234.6 KB · Views: 394
Hi all, I managed to get ebikemotion to send me the neck locks, but by the time I’ve come to use it it’s not turning on! It’s completely dead - charged for 4 hours but nothing. Any ideas on how to wake it up? I bought it from Cycle Republic who are now closed, so any other Orbea dealer is going to charge me to look at it.

On mine the batteries show separately on both Android and iOS. I'm glad it does, without that it would be a lot harder to preserve bzttery life by making sure you don't drain either battery too far.

I’ve actually never even used it! I bought it because I could use a Cycle to Work voucher but so far the normal battery has been good enough.

I hear you. If I had it to do over I wouldn't have bought one. Even though with a 21 mph cut off bikes in the US don't have the range yours do, my limiting factor here is the heat and humidity, not the battery. When the real feel is consistently over 105 f day after day during the summer there's only so much time you want to be on a bike. 😬

Anyone know where to buy a battery retention rubber strap online? Mine is all cracked and thus ready to break. The LBS is a long drive away and I'm thinking they would have to order one anyway.

The purple/pink flashing light is a communication problem from the reserve battery. Had mine changed under warranty from Orbea. They didn't question it just sent a new one. I have two and have done 117 miles total with over 4000 ft of climbing on level 2. To reset the whole bike. Hold down the iwoc button for 20 seconds

The purple/pink flashing light is a communication problem from the reserve battery. Had mine changed under warranty from Orbea. They didn't question it just sent a new one. I have two and have done 117 miles total with over 4000 ft of climbing on level 2. To reset the whole bike. Hold down the iwoc button for 20 seconds
Orbea replaced my first one under warranty. Now the second one has stopped working. The first one lasted 11 months, second one lasted 2 weeks! Orbea now says I must take the bike and extender battery to a dealer to sort it out. I have two friends who also have the extender batteries that have stopped working. These batteries are not ready for prime time.

Dick P - were they both range extenders? I’ve given mine into Halfords today. I got it on the Cycle to Work scheme though, so I can only get the value in vouchers if I opt for a refund. I can’t see myself spending £500 in Halfords.

Dick P - were they both range extenders? I’ve given mine into Halfords today. I got it on the Cycle to Work scheme though, so I can only get the value in vouchers if I opt for a refund. I can’t see myself spending £500 in Halfords.
Yes, both were range extender batteries. I would take a refund if I could get one. But in my case, I don't believe this will be offered. Selling dealer was Bike Bling in Escondido, CA, they have been completely unresponsive.

I had the blinking purple/pink light when fully charged. It turned out to be a battery balance error. it would go away after the bike was ridden for awhile so the battery level dropped. The bike would only operate in level 1 assist until the error went away. However, a firmware update on the bike at the Dealer fixed it. It turned out to be one of a few bikes that had a firmware bug.

Not saying this is your issue, because I do not have the extender, but if the bike was not getting fully charged and an extender was plugged in it would get a full charge from the extender after awhile. Or it could just be a mis-balanced battery in the main battery or the extender.

Usually in a Lithium ION battery there are 2 or more banks of batteries to get the 250 watts of battery power are achieved. These different banks are charged separately at the same time and sometimes one bank charges faster than another so the charger will vary the current of charging to each bank until they all arrive at the same voltage and then charging is complete. This takes longer than a straight charge, but it keeps a stronger bank from overcharging while the weaker bank comes up to voltage.

Take it to the dealer and they should have the update device that will plug into your bike to update the firmware. They also have the Dealer app that lets them inspect errors that do not show properly on the ebikemotion app.

Yes, both were range extender batteries. I would take a refund if I could get one. But in my case, I don't believe this will be offered. Selling dealer was Bike Bling in Escondido, CA, they have been completely unresponsive.

Regarding bike bling, I am having a hard time with them right now also. I ordered a bunch of parts on June 20. Nothing arrived yet. I talked to them on phone after three weeks and they told me they were waiting on Shimano shipment. Still nothing and no email updates or anything. No mention of anything being out of stock when I ordered. Would not order from them again.

I don't have an AC outlet where I store my Gain D50 bike and was thinking of buying the Orbea range extender mainly as a portable charger with the option to attach it for longer rides.

Let 's say I come back from a ride with 50% charge left in the bike. If I then attach a 100% charged extender and let it sit for a while, does it charge the bike to 100% or will it level out like 75% on each ??

Does anyone have experience using the range extender in the rain? I'm considering one but am worried it would let water into the charging port

Back