Future of EBike parts availability

Pepsiguy

Region
Canada
Hi,
I am new to the forum and e-bikes in general. I am looking to buy my first ebike this Spring. I am considering a couple of the Giant and Trek e-bikes because of their long track record as bike companies. I am mostly concerned about spending $5k+ (CDN) for a bike and having parts be an issue in a few years. Does the industry have a plan to ensure that batteries for example are available to fit a 5 year old bike? The new Giant Fathom e+ 29 looks great but will I be able to find a matching battery in sky blue in 5 years? Will I just have a 50+ lb bike that is no longer electric. Any help on this subject would be appreciated.
thanks
Scott…

so far bosch still has the original batteries for sale. thats where they shine.
Unless they stop making them when the promised 7 year term for the older Bosch E-Bike systems ends.

Specialized started the Vado/Como Gen 1 line of e-bikes in 2017 and discontinued them in 2022. Batteries still can be bought, for how long time? I don't know.

Hi,
I am new to the forum and e-bikes in general. I am looking to buy my first ebike this Spring. I am considering a couple of the Giant and Trek e-bikes because of their long track record as bike companies. I am mostly concerned about spending $5k+ (CDN) for a bike and having parts be an issue in a few years. Does the industry have a plan to ensure that batteries for example are available to fit a 5 year old bike? The new Giant Fathom e+ 29 looks great but will I be able to find a matching battery in sky blue in 5 years? Will I just have a 50+ lb bike that is no longer electric. Any help on this subject would be appreciated.
thanks
Scott…

I have 5 years of giant ownership - a 2018 giant full e pro, and it takes a good dealer to work out parts compatibility - please understand this was a development phase for giant so may not reflect your future experience.

As an example, the electronic smarts are shared between an evo screen, the battery control module, and the motor. I'm on my 4 th evo screen , and they have all been different ( including having different ride settings - anything from 3-6 power options) . I have one perfectly functional evo sitting in a box that is incapable of speaking to my motor - the motor was replaced in 2020 and has different software. I presume this means it would be difficult to be certain a second hand evo screen fits an individual bike?

Having said that, I can walk into my dealer and buy a speed sensor, they can order a replacement control switch and get it within a week, the bash plate is still available and absurdly cheap. It's actually easier to source 5 year old obscure giant parts than, say, the correct shimano brake pads.

But 5 years from now? These bikes + parts are built in Taiwan . I really hope you can quote me in 5 years and say I am worrying unnecessarily .

This is a great topic that I have been wondering about for some time. My hope is that the aftermarket will eventually fill the voids left by manufacturers abandoning older product lines.

I'm riding a 2015 Haibike with a Bosch mid-drive. I can still purchase batteries, and am in the process of having the drive sprocket and crank arms replaced. To date, I have been very satisfied with parts and service availability.

Back