Frustration With "SHIPPING to Local Bike Store.

RGOLD

I ordered a Vado 3.0 on Nov 28. The bike was delivered to the local bike store on DEC 4. Called the local bike store and was told the the bike "may be ready" on DEC 8... why it takes 5 days to assemble the front wheel, handle bar, saddle and few minor items? Why Specialized would not ship the bike to my house? I can assemble the bike myself like I did with my other bikes!

I ordered a Vado 3.0 on Nov 28. The bike was delivered to the local bike store on DEC 4. Called the local bike store and was told the the bike "may be ready" on DEC 8... why it takes 5 days to assemble the front wheel, handle bar, saddle and few minor items? Why Specialized would not ship the bike to my house? I can assemble the bike myself like I did with my other bikes!
its Christmas time they are pretty busy.

Like most service departments they perform the job based on first in, first out, or last come, last serve. That makes sense. Most likely there are other jobs (customers) that are in line before you. I asked my bike store to build a wheel for me. I gave them the wheel and the hub. They said come back in two weeks based on their service backlog. I questioned the length of time. Then they showed me the bikes in the warehouse that have been already dropped off for repair. I chose to learn how to build my own wheel instead. I built the wheel while watching a Netflix movie.

As far as shipping to your home. Trek/Dealer would lose quality control, and while you may be a reasonable person, imagine all of the unreasonable customers they might encounter on the phone with at home assembly problems that are created by the customers lack of knowledge, tools, experience, or downright dishonesty, not to mention manufacturer related problems.

Trek dealers have a good reputation to maintain as a retail store. Drop shipping to an end users home for assembly could hurt their reputation and bottom line. Witness all of the complaints on this board of on-line purchased bikes drop shipped with damage, missing parts, non working parts, missing options, etc. Add to that scenario incompetent and dishonest customers.

If I owned a local store, and had possibly a few hundred thousand invested in my store, I would not want to hurt my local reputation and increase my customer service load/complaints by drop shipping. Zero advantage to that.

Specialized takes the responsibility for delivering an assembled e-bke to you. Otherwise, the brand might reject your warranty claim as the responsibility would be shifted on you. In some areas, Specialized Delivery is offered; the LBS still assembles your e-bike but it also delivers it to your home, helps you setting the saddle height, instructs you how to use the e-bike etc.

I understand you can feel impatient but as the others say it is the holiday time with many purchases, a hectic time for the LBS.

I don't blame the bike shop. They may be busy. There should be an option to allow the bike to be shipped to a home address if people choose to do so. I'm capable to assemble any bike. I have 2 other bike that were delivered to my house and had no issue with warranty claim.

I purchased two nearly identical bikes, one XL and one Large. The XL came from my local Marin dealer. The Large came shipped form Bikes Online, which after shipping saved me almost $50. I had to unbox, assemble, and tune. But in shipping the front fork was damaged; Twisted from an impact. That took 30 emails and five weeks. Then I had to cut and install the replacement fork. Getting the bearing race off the old fork was nearly imposable. It would have been far better to just support my local dealer. I would have saved weeks and a ton of labor.

I don't blame the bike shop. They may be busy. There should be an option to allow the bike to be shipped to a home address if people choose to do so. I'm capable to assemble any bike. I have 2 other bike that were delivered to my house and had no issue with warranty claim.
This is not a Specialized policy. It is not a Direct-To-Customer brand. And Specialized has the best warranty out in the market. It needs to take the responsibility for the assembly. You have paid a good money for that.

You should call and scream at them, I'm sure that'll go over really well...

Have you ever had an appointment for something or do you get served immediately with no wait time? Must be a nice situation to have servants wait on you, hand and foot.

Attachments

• IMG_9460.JPG
    IMG_9460.JPG
    1,000.1 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_9461.JPG
    IMG_9461.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG_9462.JPG
    IMG_9462.JPG
    978.6 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_9463.JPG
    IMG_9463.JPG