Front page LA Times today regarding Ebikes

There were big problems too when the cars first started to become popular. It was a transition. There was conflict.

Attachments

• Horse Vs Car.jpg
    Horse Vs Car.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 144
It is interesting to think about when the number of EV bike miles traveled surpasses the number of car miles traveled per year. What would it take to get us there? For me it is my transportation. I have done two rides today.

Sigh, this is why we can't have nice things.

Agree that throttles in the wrong hands contribute. But not in my hands.

We definitely see our share of reckless/oblivious/discourteous ebike riders in Carlsbad. Most are teens and younger. But some adults are no better -- especially the tourists.

Gonna be really pissed if these yahoos screw it up for all of us.

Last edited:
definitely an issue in highly congested areas, way too easy to accidentally run into a person, i've always tried to put the power to pas 0 in congested areas so i don't have an accidental "pedal" engage and run into someone, i like to do the same as i come up to intersections too especially if there are other people there. last time i was in san diego i was surprised how fast the e-bikes were going in highly congested areas, recipe for disaster for sure.

I loved how it was settled
I never heard how it was settled but am glad it was. He could have died when hitting a black horse at night. Regarding helmets, parents in So. Cal let their inexperienced daughter ride off on a powerful eBike without a helmet in hilly Palos Verdes. Within several minutes she was dead. This happened in August of '22. Now they are suing the maker of the bike. But kids under 18 are in violation of the law without a helmet. Whose fault is that? For those who don't know LA, Palos Verdes is a hilly peninsula that juts out into the Pacific. The air is clean, not like the rest of LA, and it is about 10 degrees cooler in the summer.
1673989590911.jpeg

As I watch the school kids sow chaos on their ebikes in Carlsbad, I get the distinct feeling that their parents just bought them ebikes and let them loose on the world. No parental guidance necessary.

Teach them courtesy and respect for others? Impress on them why we have traffic laws? Explain to them how momentum works? Insist that they wear helmets?

Nah, just let 'em loose.

As I watch the school kids sow chaos on their ebikes in Carlsbad, I get the distinct feeling that their parents just bought them ebikes and let them loose on the world. No parental guidance necessary.

Teach them courtesy and respect for others? Impress on them why we have traffic laws? Explain to them how momentum works? Insist that they wear helmets?

Nah, just let 'em loose.
I see the same thing. Where has common sense gone? A vehicle is only as safe as it’s driver.

Back