Fox DHX Coil Rear Shock for the Hydra

Here is a nice calculator

You need to know the shock stroke, and the corresponding Wheel travel.
With the standard Air shock the stroke is 65mm for a wheel travel of 170mm.

If the shock has a different stroke it will change the wheel travel. I can estimate the travel if you give me the stroke.

Here is a nice calculator

You need to know the shock stroke, and the corresponding Wheel travel.
With the standard Air shock the stroke is 65mm for a wheel travel of 170mm.

If the shock has a different stroke it will change the wheel travel. I can estimate the travel if you give me the stroke.
The shock Pushkar said would work would be a 230X65, that’s the same specs I’d get for the DHX.

If the stroke is the same 65mm, then the wheel travel will be the same too, so you can use the calculator with these values and your weight and riding style, and get the shock value

Interesting. I watched a video where they said a spring shock was better for smoothing out a lot of little bumps if a person was doing more fire road and trail riding than jumps and hard charging downhill eMTBing.

They spoke of one spring shock as pretty primo - as in it is built/tuned specifically for your weight and ride style.

Interesting. I watched a video where they said a spring shock was better for smoothing out a lot of little bumps if a person was doing more fire road and trail riding than jumps and hard charging downhill eMTBing.

Funny because its the downhill bikes that seem to have coil springs vs cross country having air springs. Goes against what I know of air vs metal springs in cars, "air ride" being better for small bumps due to the progressive nature while coils are cheaper and less maintenance and more robust to big hits but normally linear. Air shocks are easily adjustable vs coils have to swapped for rider weight.

Huh. No predictions of what's what here. I'll be interested in your first hand experiences with bikes if you try them out.

Past life experiences with both…..

Air shocks need constant adjustments and air pressure fills. Be sure to buy a good HP pump! Very buttery smooth rides!

Sprung coil never needs to be adjusted once the preload is set (unless your weight radically changes!). However the ride is a lot harsher…

My 2-cents…
-BB

PS if you are a BIG PERSON, think coil spring not air….

Back