For those who still have both?

I’m getting ready to purchase my first ebike and I look at my Surlys sitting there in the shed and wonder if I’ll ride them again. I’ve considered converting them but I’m not sure I’m qualified for such a task and troubleshooting it if there is a problem. I like the look of a integrated ebike better and a two year warranty. I have limited space and I’m not sure I can keep 3 bikes.

Well out here in delightful Cali, all eBikes are considered motorized ... So a LOT of trails are not allowing them. If you are truly disabled, you can go with your ID.

So that means there are a lot of venues where you need a pedal only bike. Gotta keep both, and ride both :)

How much do you still ride your non e-bike?....

A little over 500 miles this year on the regular bike. Less than I had hoped. Its very handy to have the regular bikes around for quick trips to the store particularly in cold weather. Longest ride on the regular bike this year was about 30 miles. SpotChampa_dynamo1.JPG
1545435042937.png

I've owned an ebike since 2014. Of the 12,185 miles biked during the past 4 years, 8,450 miles have been ebike miles. This year nearly all my 1,820 miles have been commutes on an ebike, -only 246 of this year's miles were on non-ebikes. Clearly the trend is to choose the ebike for commutes.

Riding with friends is still done on my non-ebikes. Even though most of my 60 y/o+ friends haven't caught the ebug, they are showing increasing signs of interest. I am always talking up the ebike experience for it's well-being benefits -vs- no cycling activity. I think the reluctance is partly over the cost of acquiring an ebike. Most people over 60 years old remember buying their first new automobile for less than $3000o_O

Mild Christmas day - about 34F with calm winds so did an approx 10 mile ride on my analog bike. Last Dec we mostly had icy, snowy roads most of the month. This Dec bone dry (SE Mich). 20181225_ride1.jpg20181225_ride2.jpg

I rebuilt my 72 Raleigh Grand Pix last year as well. I also rebuilt my very first bike which was a 1960 Bianchi road bike with all Campi components. I'm 70 and have been riding most of my life, with some time off for jobs and kids. I'm back into serious road riding now with a Trek Madone that weighs 18 lbs. There's something about being able to go fast under your own power that I love. What I don't like is riding my bike into town and carrying anything on it. I think that's where an ebike will come in handy. I'm looking for a decently priced easy to use, comfortable bike with fenders and a rack. Probably a rear hub but I'm not that far into undersrtanding them to know for sure.

...I'm looking for a decently priced easy to use, comfortable bike with fenders and a rack. Probably a rear hub but I'm not that far into understanding them to know for sure.
I focused on the Hub motors mainly for their proven reliability, and lower price. I considered a mid-drive but for the most part their internal mechanics seem more prone to wear. Additionally, the crank motors have had a reputation towards a propensity to stress the chain. What put me over the top for staying with a hub drive was understanding that a broken chain wouldn't disable a hub motor from propelling the bike.

Traditional bikes are great. I still ride both mountain and road when I have the time. I prefer ebikes for getting places and carrying cargo, day in day out. And especially for navigating areas where there are cars. I do ride ebikes recreationally sometimes too, specifically when I want to do a longer or more challenging ride than I would feel like doing on a traditional road bike.

Back