Folding 20” fat bike for BBSHD?

Quaka Wacka

Region
USA
Has anybody gone down this rabbit hole? I want a folding fat 20” ebike to put a BBSHD on. All the folding 20” fat bikes I’ve seen are already ebikes, but mainly with hub motors. A couple have the frame mounted mid drives, but they don’t have the output I’m looking for. Any suggestions or experiences would be great.

WAY overpowered motor for a folder. Silly choice!
I’m trying to find something constructive/helpful in your post.

Are you saying it’s too much power for the chain or cassette? My understanding is they are standard bike components. Is this not true?

Most of those bikes list a rider weight far above mine and cargo load nearly 3x times the weight of motor/battery.

About the only potential issue I’ve come up with is a bottom bracket that is potentially weaker. I know the hinge area is a possible weak point in these bikes, there won’t be any more torque on it then simply pedaling up the same hill.

I guess what specifically makes it way over powered to haul a heavy trailer uphill on logging roads?

WAY over powered for a little folder. What’s the point. A BBS02B or BBS01B would be a better choice. Been there….

IMO 20” folders are toys, not for hauling trailers on logging roads.

Find a decent hydraulic brake bike equipped bike.

WAY over powered for a little folder. What’s the point. A BBS02B or BBS01B would be a better choice. Been there….

IMO 20” folders are toys, not for hauling trailers on logging roads.

Find a decent hydraulic brake bike equipped bike.
I agree they fall into the “toy” catagory, but it’s the compact transport size for my smaller rig that I’m after. Are the S02B/S01B roughly the same exterior dimensions as the HD? I was under the impression they were, but could be wrong. (I’ve only built with the HDs)
I certainly need a mid drive for what I’m doing, and figure it’s better to have more power and not need it than the other way around. The weight and cost difference are pretty minimal in the grand scheme of things.

My greatest concern is how the motor will tuck against the frame. Will it hang too low? Will it impede folding the bike up? Along with finding a folder that has a compatible bottom bracket.

I did a ZIZZO with a BBS01 and another with a BBS02. But it’s not a fatty. The entire BBSxx series sits really high in that frame. I despised the geom of every 29” bike I tried. I found them all squirrely. But they are ridiculously popular. Fad bikes from where I sit. But that’s just me, the curmudgeon…

I wasn’t familiar with that bike. Looks like the motor would rotate way up out of the way. Just need to find a fatty with a similar design.

I’ll have to start studying frames of the various fat 20”.

I appreciate your input.

I wasn’t familiar with that bike. Looks like the motor would rotate way up out of the way. Just need to find a fatty with a similar design.

I’ll have to start studying frames of the various fat 20”.

I appreciate your input.

Attachments

• D6CE20D1-C9D6-4741-A4D3-87CE479204CD.jpeg
    D6CE20D1-C9D6-4741-A4D3-87CE479204CD.jpeg
    342.9 KB · Views: 188
Back