Flow developed strange "ticking" noise

PatriciaK

Region
USA
City
Pacific Northwest and Piedmont Triad
Just after turning around at the halfway point of our 14.6 mile ride this morning, my bike developed a rythmic "ticking" sound somewhere in the back.

Doesn't happen when walking the bike, only when riding.

It slows as the bike slows, and speeds up when the bike does. Happens while pedaling, coasting, going straight, and turning either way. Changing gears or PAS levels doesn't affect it. Gears and PAS working correctly. The paved asphalt trail was quite bumpy in places from tree root upthrust ... wondering if something bumped loose?

Checked for stones in the tire tread and anything else visibly out of order, but nothing we can see on the back tire/wheel.

It's a mystery!

Any ideas, please???

Just after turning around at the halfway point of our 14.6 mile ride this morning, my bike developed a rythmic "ticking" sound somewhere in the back.

Doesn't happen when walking the bike, only when riding.

It slows as the bike slows, and speeds up when the bike does. Happens while pedaling, coasting, going straight, and turning either way. Changing gears or PAS levels doesn't affect it. Gears and PAS working correctly. The paved asphalt trail was quite bumpy in places from tree root upthrust ... wondering if something bumped loose?

Checked for stones in the tire tread and anything else visibly out of order, but nothing we can see on the back tire/wheel.

It's a mystery!

Any ideas, please???
Here is a link to someone that was having similar issue with Sport. They however, said it went away with coasting...

Here is a link to someone that was having similar issue with Sport. They however, said it went away with coasting...

Thanks - don't think getting the wheel off the ground would help, since it only happens under weight while riding, but I'll pass that along to my "mechanic" for consideration 😉.

That sure sounds like a loose spoke or spokes to me....

Thanks for the suggestions - will check the spokes and pedals 😊!

PROBLEM SOLVED!

My resident "bike mechanic" located and tightened the loose spoke!

Thanks, AHicks and Taylor 57 🚲🚴‍♀️🚲!

This might be a dumb question, but how can you tell if a spoke is loose? Like is it loose in a normal lay person "oh that's obviously not in all the way" or do we periodically have to check for any we can reef on to get a quarter turn out of?

This might be a dumb question, but how can you tell if a spoke is loose? Like is it loose in a normal lay person "oh that's obviously not in all the way" or do we periodically have to check for any we can reef on to get a quarter turn out of?
Good question! Spokes are under tension. A bike does not, against expectations push down on spokes! It hangs from its spokes pulling down on the rim to pull itself up, thus pushing the wheel down. A problem spoke will show at the top when ridden. If you squeeze spokes together, they should all have the same deflection or amount of bend. A loose one will bend more. Spokes under tension also have a tone. A loose one will make a lower note and the wheel will be pulled to the opposite side by the relatively tighter opposing two spokes, causing the wheel to be untrue at that spot. 1) Feel 2) Sound 3) Visual true. Old school used tone. Now there are digital deflection meters.

Good question! Spokes are under tension. A bike does not, against expectations push down on spokes! It hangs from its spokes pulling down on the rim to pull itself up, thus pushing the wheel down. A problem spoke will show at the top when ridden. If you squeeze spokes together, they should all have the same deflection or amount of bend. A loose one will bend more. Spokes under tension also have a tone. A loose one will make a lower note and the wheel will be pulled to the opposite side by the relatively tighter opposing two spokes, causing the wheel to be untrue at that spot. 1) Feel 2) Sound 3) Visual true. Old school used tone. Now there are digital deflection meters.
My "mechanic" found it based on the tone.

Back