Fitting an additional rear light to a Turbo Vado 4

bellandbottle

Region
United Kingdom
I am seriously thinking about fitting a rear light, in addition to the factory fitted one on the mudguard - I want to use the flashing facility, as an additional warning aid.

Because I use a bag on the rear rack, most of the seat post is hidden from view, and the obvious next place is on the rack itself.

Unfortunately, the rack does not have a light bracket and, before I make one up, I thought it would be sensible to find out if anyone else has found a bracket to do the job. I have looked all over for one, but can't see anything.

The Racktime bag I have rises up towards the back and the bottom of the saddle is obscured - as seen from car windscreen level :).

On the back of the bag? That's where I fitted my Garmin Varia - but it does require the back of the bag be at about the right angle.
1641137055570.png

I modified a Garmin varia mount to slip over the rear bar of my rack. It slides onto a flat crossbar and then to make sure it does not pop off and goes missing, I added a bit of twisted wire. The included Garmin rubber bands were not tight enough to secure it.

PXL_20211208_143050601.jpg

PXL_20211208_143027116.jpg

PXL_20211208_142957614.jpg

PXL_20211208_143027116-.jpg

I modified a Garmin varia mount to slip over the rear bar of my rack. It slides onto a flat crossbar and then to make sure it does not pop off and goes missing, I added a bit of twisted wire. The included Garmin rubber bands were not tight enough to secure it.

View attachment 110879

View attachment 110881

View attachment 110882

View attachment 110883
That is the kind of thing I was going to rig up, but thought there might be a custom made accessory out there - thanks for the pictures :).

That is the kind of thing I was going to rig up, but thought there might be a custom made accessory out there - thanks for the pictures :).
If you look up some Garmin mounts, you will see they come with a few different sized "rubber bands" and the connector has grooves or slots where the band fits. So you wrap those bands around the object (generally a seat tube or handlebar) to secure it. But that would not work for my rack system. Hence the modification.

I don't know what you can zip tie though.

Here is an example of tail light.

I don't know how (or where) you can use zip tie to help mounting on to the rack 🤔

Were you thinking about any particular tail light?
10 best rear bike lights for 2021 — boost your day & night visibility |  road.cc
I would turn it horizontal take the screw out and see how it wedges on the bar. or keep it vertical on the side of the rack. then maybe drill the hole through both sides to run a zip tie. I had bored or strapped a piece e of bar vertically on my rack then you can mount the light normally.

I also have the Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 (step through) and NITERIDER front and back lights. I just clipped my Nite ridder rear flasher to my helmet (which I always wear) and never had to modify lights on my bike. I simply bought a second handlebar mount. See picture. It is on my left side of helmet so I can turn off or on while riding. See picture attached.

Attachments

• 20220103_210216_003.jpg
    20220103_210216_003.jpg
    320.6 KB · Views: 189
I decided to launch in to my version of the rear light bracket, having being stimulated by the responses above.

I made it up with a piece of 3mm aluminium and then turned a piece of hardwood to the same diameter as a seat post.

I decided to go this way as there are a large number of lights and accessories available for seat posts.

Many thanks to everyone for their ideas - much appreciated :).

PS: I have ordered up a Cateye LD 610

Attachments

• Rear Light Bracket 1 (2).JPG
    Rear Light Bracket 1 (2).JPG
    204.7 KB · Views: 204
  • Rear Light Bracket 3 (2).JPG
    Rear Light Bracket 3 (2).JPG
    411.2 KB · Views: 188
  • Rear Light Bracket 5 (2).JPG
    Rear Light Bracket 5 (2).JPG
    292.7 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
I decided to launch in to my version of the rear light bracket, having being stimulated by the responses above.

I made it up with a piece of 3mm aluminium and then turned a piece of hardwood to the same diameter as a seat post.

I decided to go this way as there are a large number of lights and accessories available for seat posts.

I like it. There's an add-on that can attach to various seat stays and forks bolt holes that mirrors your adaptation. It is about an inch long, is hollow with a screw hole. If I recall it comes with a standard threaded bolt/screw. You attach it to some place on the bike and it provides a one inch (or so) cylinder that accommodates things that attach to seat posts or handlebars.

Aha, with the right search term and ....

"add attachment points to bike frame for lights"

You find:

good job tried to find my setup I used but could not fid a pic. wee nI went with a garmin radar then I had to change tactics but it need up much easier since they have so many different types of mounts.

Back