First thoughts on my new Flow

So how do I check out the FLOW. Nobody here knows of it and it doesn't appear on the internet. Except here.
A little more detail regarding your question might be in order. Would love to help, but could you be a little more specific? My first thought for instance, is where is "here"?
Are you looking for more info regarding it's specs?
Did you just get one and are looking for help setting it up? Is there a specific problem?
What?
You're familiar with the fact that the Espin Sport is it's twin?

Last edited:
Have you looked here:

Are we back on the forum? It was a simple question
Clearly. If you'd like a hand from somebody with 3 of them (and a few others), you'll answer my simple questions......

How did you check it out??
Who sells it? The first, second, third seller, etc.?
As in my intro; I bought and payed for a Rad, Radrover over 18 months ago. There only reply was insulting and refusing to deliver. But I still get sales pitch and EBR still rates them high.
But not the bike.
Then again, with high ratings, I bought a received a Nakto Steady. When assembled it was very dangerous. Just touch the pedal and it took off at 8mph and the brakes didn't shut it off. After finding instructions on the internet I got the brakes to work and the artificial throttle to work - sort of. Nakto refused to talk on phone and on internet insisted I can only communicate with AMAZON. AMAZON didn't understand it's hazardous condition so canceled there warranty that they now owned. I disconnected the dangerous PAS and used the almost as dangerous THROTTLE?? out in the country. It's now totally dead.
I have owned two e-Moto real electric bikes. A REAL THROTTLE and none of that extremely dangerous PAS. That's probably why they were stolen here in Neenah, Wisconsin. There are no dealers of REAL electric bikes here. I bought mine at Menards Lumber.
No one here has ever heard of Flow or Espin Sport and didn't come up on the internet.
So if it's possible without insults to mention dealers of the components. I still feel I need the digital control up on the handle bars. Nakto finally supplied, with payment, the control module under the battery but it didn't help. But again insists I have to go to AMAZON or EBAY for assistance. Maybe EBR would help?
Sgt. Richard J. Van Haren

Richard, I don't know you from the man in the moon. Though I may have read your notes, maybe even reacted to them with a response, if you think I'm going to (am able to) commit you and your history to memory, you're badly mistaken. I read hundreds of comments daily (here and on other sites), and help out where I can. It's something I enjoy doing. If you'd like a piece of your history referenced when you ask a question, it would be a good idea to mention it with your question. You can't just show up out of nowhere and expect people to have everything you've written committed to memory....

It's much easier to answer questions, without insults, when they are asked in a reasonable manner..... without being condescending.

OK all that in mind, the Espins have a "real" throttle. From a standing start you can use it as you would expect a real throttle to behave. If you are moving, and you stop pedaling before applying the throttle, it will behave the same way. If you are pedaling when you use the throttle, you're going to get everything the bike has available for throttle. It goes into an "on or off" mode. Nothing unusual here, it's the way all the throttle equipped bikes I've ridden work.

The bikes are available direct from Espin only to the best of my knowledge. They are assembled using parts available anywhere - other than the controller and display. Today's bikes all use proprietary parts there, BUT, there are parts available on the aftermarket that a skilled DIY'er can install on an Espin if those OEM parts get to the point they're no longer available.

When you bought a bike through Amazon, you introduced a 3rd party to the transaction. A 3rd party that has absolutely no idea of how to help you should you need support. Doing that was clearly a bad call - and others learn that the hard way every day just like you have. Espin has pretty decent support, though it will never be on the level of the support available from a good local bike shop.

That's a key decision that needs to be made on your part prior to buying a bike. You have to ask yourself if you are willing and able to work on this bike when it needs service (not if, when, starting from the time you take it out of the box). If not, I'd suggest you stop looking at consumer direct/mail order bikes and their attractive pricing, and focus on local bike shops. You could also contact velo.com. They're a national outfit that provides mobile bike service - at a price. They may work out well for you if your local shops don't deal in e-bikes.

Regarding help on EBR. Oh hell yes! There are quite a few here willing to lend a hand! Just keep in mind that the make and model of your bike alone may not be enough information. If it's not, you'll be asked for pictures or more info. Don't be offended!

Best of luck, -Al

I didn't check it out - I took a chance on a direct seller, based on reviews here and other places, and got lucky with Espin. I realize it could have gone the other way, but, figured If I really hated the bike (turns out, I like it, a LOT!) I could return it within the 14 days offered (yes, it would have cost me). The only problem I've had is a loose spoke, and folks here helped me isolate that. I know nothing about working on bikes, but am married to a mechanical engineer who's quite handy. Fortunately, I haven't needed much in the way of service so far (he tightened the spoke).

Perhaps, if you asked nicely 😉, someone here who might live in your area might let you check out theirs - though it might be the Sport model, which is the step-over sibling to the Flow. Other than that, the bikes are identical, I believe.

The Flow and Sport aren't known in this part of Wisconsin. But them someone added Expin as the marketer. "Expin.com" works. The two dealers said they still wouldn't service them and I wouldn't buy one. They put the controls on the wrong sides, have only a little paddle 'throttle' that routs through the 'dangerous' PAS.
Like most others they also don't sell MENS bikes. My very fine equipment is closer to the ground than the required 32". I tried buying the Rad and bought the Nakto 20" Fat tire because they have the outside diameter of 24" mountain bikes with step thru frames. Also Expin is sold thru many levels of dealers.
Thanks ;)

Well, there you go, then - not the right bike... for you 😉. Best of luck finding something that works for you.

To make future searches a little easier, relevant info more easily found if you spell ESPIN correctly....

Your 32" equipment level should work just fine on the Flow, which is a step over style bike. Many riding that bike happily every day have MUCH lower equipment.....

Your dealer is providing misleading info regarding the throttle routing - or you've understood them incorrectly? There isn't an e-bike made, that I know of, that does not route the throttle wiring through the CONTROLLER. This would be the same CONTROLLER the PAS uses to do it's thing. This may be why your dealer doesn't work on them - because he knows little or NOTHING about them?

The fact neither dealer mentioned that the throttle could be moved to the opposite side by anyone that knows what end of the screwdriver fits a screw, or that the "paddle" type throttle could be switched to a thumb or twist type for less than 20 bucks, might further suggest even more about their competency level.

In that regard, I wouldn't take a bike to either of these dealers on a bet....

@Van Haren

Have you tried REI? Looks like you live near one and their house brand is considered a pretty good value by most. No throttle, but they use a torque sensor for PAS which may be more to you liking. Also good return and warranty support through REI.

Thank you all for the compliments and assistance. EBR gang will be given the correct rating. ;)
Richard, it does seem like you came here very pissed off and in full "sergeant" mode and tone, expecting everyone to just "hop to" and solve your problem. We're not your platoon, and a little respect, humility, and clarity would have gone a long way. Are you this angry and demanding in your "real" life?

You asked where you could find information about the ESPIN Flow, and I posted you the link. I explained that I took a chance on purchasing an internet direct bike. I had not visited ESPIN's site in several months, and do see that they have a few dealerships now and are recruiting more - that was not the case last spring when I ordered my bike. You could always call one of them to get another dealer perspective on the bikes, if you were interested.

People tried to answer your questions and provide solutions and explanations for the many things you were complaining about - what else do you want them to do?

You're in an ESPIN thread. Actually, you're in MY ESPIN thread, which you've completely derailed. We all have ESPIN bikes. We all have varying degrees of real world experience with our bikes. We know when dealers are providing accurate information, and we know when they are providing bull crap - again, because we know our bikes.

You don't trust our opinions, or don't want this particular bike, fine. But, it's not our fault that you are not satisfied with the product. Actually, I don't believe you would be satisfied with ANY product. Speaking of ratings, I think everyone you've interacted with here has you quite accurately rated, and are not in the least concerned what you think about us...I know I'm not 😉.

I do hope you find a bike that fulfills your many expectations - let us know if you do.

Last edited:
Talk about insulting and arrogant. No wonder there listed as "Well-Known".
Yet you keep returning for more...
Don't worry about it. You've just been silenced by my ignore list as well.
You have a fine day.....

Back