First Test Ride on SmartMotion Pacer

D

Deleted member 803

Velocity Commuting Solutions just picked up the SmartMotion product line. We built our first two units this week and I had an opportunity to put it through its paces. Here are my top line impressions:

-well integrated eBike with thoughtful touches like integrated strip lighting on downtube and rear rack.
-solid component quality with Magura MT4 brakes and Deore level gearset.
-500W Dapu 28mph motor is strong and I could easily cruise at 22-23mph.
-a giant 48V/17.5Ah battery as an option gives this bike great range
-unique display integrated into the crossbar is highly legible (Stromer take note) and flips between day and night mode backlighting.
-one of the few bikes to offer both cadence and torque sensing AND allow the user to choose between them
-and a real thumb throttle for those who value one.

While the front wheel is a quick release and not a thru-axle, the ride is very solid with no frame flex. The geared rear hub motor makes noise typical of geared hubs but pulls very very well. My first eBike was a Neo Carbon and this bike has the same, albeit larger, motor. Dapu is a very solid motor vendor and makes durable products.

My entire team loved this bike. They loved the looks, the quality, and the ride. Our mechanics were impressed with fit and finish.

If your local dealer has a SmartMotion bike in stock I encourage you to take a test ride. The Pacer sell for $2799 and we think it is an improved version of the BH Nitro City at $4399 even without front suspension.

Orange_Pacer__66204.1475171075.500.659.jpg

I rode the Pacer and Catalyst at an e-bike expo. The Pacer feels like a Stromer ST2 to me in terms of speed/responsiveness. I know the US distributor told me they can add a suspension fork to the Pacer for an extra charge. I consider a suspension fork and the optional Body Float seatpost (which comes with the 17.5aH battery upgrade) to be mandatory upgrades if I got this bike. I love the extra tire clearance on the Pacer/Catalyst. I'd throw some 27.5x2.35 Schwalbe G-One Speed tires on the bike and drop the pressure down to 25-30psi for an amazing ride.

I rode the Pacer and Catalyst at an e-bike expo. The Pacer feels like a Stromer ST2 to me in terms of speed/responsiveness. I know the US distributor told me they can add a suspension fork to the Pacer for an extra charge. I consider a suspension fork and the optional Body Float seatpost (which comes with the 17.5aH battery upgrade) to be mandatory upgrades if I got this bike. I love the extra tire clearance on the Pacer/Catalyst. I'd throw some 27.5x2.35 Schwalbe G-One Speed tires on the bike and drop the pressure down to 25-30psi for an amazing ride.
Funny, we upgraded the tires on our Pacer Demo bike to Schwalbe Big Ben 27.5 X2.0. We had to order them from the UK. We also put a body float on the bike. Very sweet ride. If you are in the SF Bay area, give us a call and we can schedule a demo ride for you at your home or office.

Back