First eBike - Rad Power Rad City vs Ariel C Class

Ryan W

I am looking to buy my first eBike (really it will be my first bike purchase ever). I am looking to get an eBike for everyday commuting (3.5 miles, not especially hilly, basically 100 ft vertical downhill to the valley and 100 ft vertical back up). I would also like to be able to put my kids in a trailer, or in a baby seat, or a trailer bike, or some combination thereof. I want to be able to share it with my wife and strongly prefer the upright style of riding, so I am looking for a step-thru. I had really been set on the RadCity, but once my wife agreed to get a bike I figured I should actually look around at other models. I have also looked at IZIP E3 Simi and Electra Townie Go! 7D, but they don't look to have as many features as the others at that price point. I was wanting to stay under $1600, but I am really intrigued by the Ariel C Class and have seen most people choose that when putting them head to head. I am a bike novice so looking for something with easy maintenance. Let me know if you think I should go with RadCity or Ariel C Class, or maybe some other bike I haven't even mentioned. Thanks!

Last edited:
When it comes to handling any kind of trailer, I think you're going to find the Rad City's power marginal at best. This is due to it's direct drive rear hub. They're just not up to "hauling" anything (think gutless here).

Gear driven rear hubs on the other hand, would do what you are talking about nicely. The Rad Rover, or possibly the new Rad Wagon (not the old/original one!) would both work.

For even more power (pulling/climbing), a mid drive with a reasonably large motor (750 watts) would do nicely, but then you start talking about more money.

I am looking to buy my first eBike (really it will be my first bike purchase ever). I am looking to get an eBike for everyday commuting (3.5 miles, not especially hilly, basically 100 ft vertical downhill to the valley and 100 ft vertical back up). I would also like to be able to put my kids in a trailer, or in a baby seat, or a trailer bike, or some combination thereof. I want to be able to share it with my wife and strongly prefer the upright style of riding, so I am looking for a step-thru. I had really been set on the RadCity, but once my wife agreed to get a bike I figured I should actually look around at other models. I have also looked at IZIP E3 Simi and Electra Townie Go! 7D, but they don't look to have as many features as the others at that price point. I was wanting to stay under $1600, but I am really intrigued by the Ariel C Class and have seen most people choose that when putting them head to head. I am a bike novice so looking for something with easy maintenance. Let me know if you think I should go with RadCity or Ariel C Class, or maybe some other bike I haven't even mentioned. Thanks!

Thanks for posting this, Ryan. I'm a newb to the forum and to ebikes in general. I was focusing on fat tire bike (because they're fun), but I share many requirements with you. The Ariel C looks pretty awesome, specially with the mid-drive motor, the internal geared hub, the hydraulic brakes, and the ability to easily put a child seat on the back. Now I feel like have have to look at a whole other class of bikes!

Thanks to everyone for the responses. It looks like the consensus has it that I should remove RadCity from my comparison and replace it with the RadRover Step-Thru and the RadWagon 4. Looking at the RadWagon a little harder for the first time, especially with the accessory options for the rear rack that could eliminate the need for a trailer.

So it looks like the comparison in terms of capabilities is either the 750W Geared Hub Motor of the RadRover Step-Thru and RadWagon 4 vs the 500W mid-drive motor, hydraulic brakes, and internal heard hub of the Ariel C Class.

Thanks @Timpo for those suggestions. I am intrigued by the Eunorau MAX-Cargo, but honestly, it being a Chinese drop-ship company does worry me with customer service. I understand your hesitancy with the RadWagon given the custom tires. Does ordering extra tubes immediately solve that problem? Even if I build that into the cost its still more affordable than the other options.

Ryan and all:
Thanks for asking this question, and Timo, thanks SO MUCH for your answers. I was looking for a fat tire ebike for me, but I talked my wife into buying a bike for her. But she really wanted a cargo to take my daughter on (she thought that would be easier than using a seat on a rack like I was thinking on my bike). Your answers convinced her to go with the Eunorau mid-drive.
I spent about a week finding my bike (I went with a Rize Mini). With your questions and answers, she found hers in 20 minutes.

So what's the difference between Eunorau mid-drive (posted above) and Bolton Hercules?

20" wheels are for riding in cities that have perfect pavement. My city has numerous bottomless gas valve holes and potholes in the winter that get fixed in May. Cargo bikes don't come with suspensions.
If you want perfection and dealer service, my yubabike bodaboda was perfect. It doesn't need torque checking of the spokes monthly like a radwagon (see known problems thread). It was $1800 with bags double leg stand front basket & free freight but without power. I hated the bosch mid drive yuba was selling in 2017, but now they sell a shimano esteps electric that doesn't drag power off. I ride power off a lot. I'm very happy with my front geared hub motor that controls the effect of headwind. Hanging the battery up front leaves the back for 80 lb of groceries or weed killer. Unlike the 2 previous MTB and a cruiser, it hasn't had the front wheel whip sideways on bumps and pitch me on my chin. I think having my weight on the front tire helps stability.
Other big wheel cargo bikes are xtracycle and kona ute.

Last edited:
20" wheels are for riding in cities that have perfect pavement. My city has numerous bottomless gas valve holes and potholes in the winter that get fixed in May. Cargo bikes don't come with suspensions.
If you want perfection and dealer service, my yubabike bodaboda was perfect. It doesn't need torque checking of the spokes monthly like a radwagon (see known problems thread). It was $1800 with bags double leg stand front basket & free freight but without power. I hated the bosch mid drive yuba was selling in 2017, but now they sell a shimano esteps electric that doesn't drag power off. I ride power off a lot. I'm very happy with my front geared hub motor that controls the effect of headwind. Hanging the battery up front leaves the back for 80 lb of groceries or weed killer. Unlike the 2 previous MTB and a cruiser, it hasn't had the front wheel whip sideways on bumps and pitch me on my chin. I think having my weight on the front tire helps stability.
Other big wheel cargo bikes are xtracycle and kona ute.

Just a quick nit pick here regarding the reference to required monthly checks of the spoke tension on Rad bikes. That's complete hogwash. The "known issue" is regarding initial set up only.

Just a quick nit pick here regarding the reference to required monthly checks of the spoke tension on Rad bikes. That's complete hogwash. The "known issue" is regarding initial set up only.
Posts 2,4,7,10,36,51,84,85,97,99,105,106,107,108,114,116,155
I've adjusted the spokes on my yuba wheel never in 5000 miles. The power wheel from ebikeling.com, once, two of them at 4500 miles. I weekly gross 330 lb with 60 lb groceries, and once 400 lb with 110 lb groceries. The groceries were on the back yuba wheel.

All due respect, but without looking back and referencing each example you list, my money would be on the fact that the majority of the problems you are referring to, if they had been caught and dealt with properly in the initial setup, would not have been issues.

That's not to say RAD has not had problems with spoke tensions in the past (or present?). You'll hear no argument from me on that point. My point is the need for anything unusual in the way of spoke tension maintenance - as compared to other brands, once the initial issue has been dealt with properly.

Back