First e-mtb. BULLS E-Stream Evo 3 27.5 Plus.

Bully

After much research (including Court's excellent reviews on Youtube) I picked an e-bike that is right for my purposes (YMMV). I selected a BULLS E-Stream Evo 3 27.5 Plus. I am not a hard core mountain biker. The trails I ride are also used by hikers. I just needed assistance going uphill as I'm 63 years old and have bad knees.

The three main reasons I selected it are:
1. Stealth. Does not easily appear as an e-bike in profile. Motor and battery are not obvious as compared to other mountain e-bikes.
2. Brose-T motor is quiet. Plenty of power for the trails I ride.
3. I wanted a hardtail because where I ride doesn't require full suspension. More money spent on other components (e.g., brakes, forks, etc.)

I bought it at ELV Motors in Santa Clara, California. They were the only local e-bike shop which carried the BULLS brand. They loaded the latest software and now it has four power levels, not three as the specifications on the BULLS e-bike site state. I suspect that the min and max power levels are the same as before but now there are two intermediate power levels instead of one.

EDIT: Attached picture per request. Note: I replaced the original seat.

Attachments

• IMG_20181002_103623.jpg
    IMG_20181002_103623.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 1,114
Last edited:
After much research (including Court's excellent reviews on Youtube) I picked an e-bike that is right for my purposes (YMMV). I selected a BULLS E-Stream Evo 3 27.5 Plus. I am not a hard core mountain biker. The trails I ride are also used by hikers. I just needed assistance going uphill as I'm 63 years old and have bad knees.

The three main reasons I selected it are:
1. Stealth. Does not easily appear as an e-bike in profile. Motor and battery are not obvious as compared to other mountain e-bikes.
2. Brose-T motor is quiet. Plenty of power for the trails I ride.
3. I wanted a hardtail because where I ride doesn't require full suspension. More money spent on other components (e.g., brakes, forks, etc.)

I bought it at ELV Motors in Santa Clara, California. They were the only local e-bike shop which carried the BULLS brand. They loaded the latest software and now it has four power levels, not three as the specifications on the BULLS e-bike site state. I suspect that the min and max power levels are the same as before but now there are two intermediate power levels instead of one.
Nice choice. I was interested in Bulls but ELV left me unimpressed when I had questions, so went another direction. Bay Area desperately needs a good Bulls dealer with good inventory.

Congrats, hope you love your Evo as much as I do mine climbs like a billy goat mine's a 2017 I think their this e bike was number one seller I learned of it reading Courts reviews, thank you Court if you see this. I had to look it up too I thought it was my same bike nice kids pic

New member here also with the same bike that I got about a month ago.

I bought it for exactly the same reasons you stated. Super Stealthy and dont really need suspension for what I plan on doing with it. Tried to get the 29 version (for $800 less) but they sold out of that a few months ago. Looking at the geometry specs, it appears to be the same frame with 27.5+ tires instead of 29. The only other bike I considered was the trek powerfly but it was too noisy compared to the brose. Haibike might have been considered if they didnt have all the flashy graphics.

Im in my mid 50s, started MTBing in the early 90s in the SF Bay area (Now live near Boulder, CO). The last few years have seen me slowing down and just started having knee pain in the last year.

Before this new ebike, I was doing maybe 20-30 miles a week. Now Im doing about 120 miles a week and having a blast. Mostly ride it on level 2/3(new firmware) but nice to have the option for more assist. My legs have been sore from every ride on it and my overall fitness has improved quite a bit in the last month. Basically I just dial in the workout/speed I want. I much prefer the more consistent resistance despite the terrain.

Many new paths/trails in my area just opened up this year to ebikes(trial period). I sure hope the trial periods end with even more ebike access as I have some 30-40 mile rides I want to do in the foothills/mountains. Might even buy a Specialized Turbo Levo next year.

I have done a 50 mile ride using mostly level 2 on the way out and level 3/4 on the way back (fighting the wind) and only used 3 bars. No doubt I could squeak 70 miles out of it. Mostly flat terrain (1500ft over 25 miles).

As Robie mentioned, it climbs like a goat. Took it on a hill last week that is usually traction limited due to steepness/rocks and the Evo on Level 3 just laughed it off.

Mine is mostly stock. Put Stans sealant in the tubes, reversed the stem to lower it and moved the headset spacers from below the stem to above it to lower it further. Seatpost was right at the limit so it was replaced with a longer seatpost and more comfortable seat.

Yes, it does climb like a goat. I took it to a local hike/bike/equestrian park the day after I bought it. During the ride I took a wrong turn and went down a steep trail until I came to a locked gate. On retrospect, I believe this is used by the park rangers to bring in maintenance equipment. Anyway, I had to get back up this trail which was about 150 yards long and steep. I put the bike on level 4 and it tractored up with no problems.

Did a whole ride on max assist today just too see what it was like for a whole ride. I tend to use it sparingly and mostly at the end of a ride just to get home or maybe for a hill I just want to fly over.

Did a 10 mile max effort ride yesterday on my rigid analog MTB hardtail just too see what it was like after a whole month on only the Evo, did alot better than I thought (11mph average vs 14) but it just seems like so much work (although I seem to be working the same). My Evo ebike rides usually are 2x as far.

So today was just going to be a recovery day enjoying the great fall weather here in CO before the rain starts tomorrow. No plans on using full assist but there were alot of bikers enjoying the same weather conditions and I decided to see what the Evo would do on full assist the whole ride. Winds from 20-30mph made things interesting

I wont go into all the details but I was going as hard as I could without killing myself on highest assist and I am by no means in the best of shape. 19 miles with 1k vertical with average speed of 15.5mph which isnt bad considering the wind. Used 3 bars on the battery. Max grade at 3.5% was about 15mph. Much of the ride was at the 20mph limit. While this ride isnt that hard by analog MTB standards, its a challenge when you get older.

What i find so nice having an ebike is that I simply just get out more and have more fun and have the reserve for riding options I would have never considered before like just exploring for hours, riding in high heat (95+) and/or high winds.

There is mention in the Bulls sections of this forum on front end noise coming from the disc brakes (more noticable when cornering). My Evo definately does this but so does my last 3 bikes which I have built myself starting with a bare frame. I dont see it as a problem as the front wheel can and does move around due to the suspension fork not being fully rigid. Im from the era where front suspension forks first started and they were much worse even with rim brakes. I can even get my rigid hardtail to do it but its using cable disc brakes which is less than optimal but fine for the intended purpose.

Just purchased Evo 3 for all the same reasons as Bully. Added a rack and going to use primarily as a commuter bike. 18 miles each way. 2 large climbs. Ridden 3 days so far and love it.
Thinking of changing tires to a more smooth tread, for better rolling. Any thoughts?

Only thing I can see being an issue so far is charger port. Terrible cap design. Cap is tough to seat and tends not to stay seated. In rain this may be an issue. Was thinking of putting a neoprene strip around it or some sort of velcro to hold it securely.

I purchased the Evo 2 and honestly wasnt pleased. All you people who say it climbs like a goat...i have to wonder if you've ridden other ebikes. I tested a specialized and a haibike. After doing a few prolonged climbs, really felt the bulls was underpowered when trying to accelerate up the steep stuff. I was really disappointed that this bike, in 2019 still has the Brose T motor when the S is so much better.

On my first ride, I immediately noticed squeaking coming from the front brake. I took it back in to the dealer I bought it from. While it was in for service, waiting for parts, I got a call from an online retailer who told me that the new Bulls models are coming out in the next week or so. She told me I could re-buy the same bike for nearly $800 less than I just bought my E-Stream Evo for 2 weeks ago, once it became the old model. EIGHT HUNDRED DOLLARS! Apparently these hardtails are not a good seller for Bulls and the dealer agreements will allow for substantial discounting when the new models hit.

My local bikeshop was still struggling to get parts for the brake squeal. They told me that honestly, Bulls is terrible about parts. I wasn't happy with the climbing ability and that the prices were about to drop so much. After riding the bike, I also felt the battery design left too much of the weight forward of center. It felt unbalanced to me and a little cumbersome to maneuver. I think a full suspension version would be a little more balanced. I also wasn't happy with the crappy 1 year, parts but no labor warranty and the long wait for parts from the manufacturer. I decided to return the Bulls for now. I may rebuy if it ends up truly being closer to $2500 instead of the $3300 I paid, or I might go with an EasyMotion that has a 5 year warranty which includes labor and parts readily available and a little better geometry to accomodate the battery's weight.

Just got the same bike only 29er model yesterday (purchase and shipped from fly ride bikes). Taking it out shortly for first ride on local trails. I like to stand a lot on climbs so the hardtail really appealed to me. I am also happy with how firm the lockout setting on the front fork is. I would be a bit annoyed though if they really are coming out with new bikes with the new S motor for $800 less............oh well. Enjoy the ride!

I purchased the Evo 2 and honestly wasnt pleased. All you people who say it climbs like a goat...i have to wonder if you've ridden other ebikes. I tested a specialized and a haibike. After doing a few prolonged climbs, really felt the bulls was underpowered when trying to accelerate up the steep stuff. I was really disappointed that this bike, in 2019 still has the Brose T motor when the S is so much better.

On my first ride, I immediately noticed squeaking coming from the front brake. I took it back in to the dealer I bought it from. While it was in for service, waiting for parts, I got a call from an online retailer who told me that the new Bulls models are coming out in the next week or so. She told me I could re-buy the same bike for nearly $800 less than I just bought my E-Stream Evo for 2 weeks ago, once it became the old model. EIGHT HUNDRED DOLLARS! Apparently these hardtails are not a good seller for Bulls and the dealer agreements will allow for substantial discounting when the new models hit.

My local bikeshop was still struggling to get parts for the brake squeal. They told me that honestly, Bulls is terrible about parts. I wasn't happy with the climbing ability and that the prices were about to drop so much. After riding the bike, I also felt the battery design left too much of the weight forward of center. It felt unbalanced to me and a little cumbersome to maneuver. I think a full suspension version would be a little more balanced. I also wasn't happy with the crappy 1 year, parts but no labor warranty and the long wait for parts from the manufacturer. I decided to return the Bulls for now. I may rebuy if it ends up truly being closer to $2500 instead of the $3300 I paid, or I might go with an EasyMotion that has a 5 year warranty which includes labor and parts readily available and a little better geometry to accomodate the battery's weight.

The Evo 2 is not a new 2019 bike, it is a new 2017 bike.

I used the term 'climbs like a goat' to refer to the fact that the double chainrings allow super low gear ratios which allow me to get up super steep stuff, many times the limiting factor is keeping the front wheel on the ground. I didnt use the term 'climbs like a pikes peak racecar'

The brose isnt known for being the 'most powerful', you can find many ride reports of guys riding with buddies that state that. If thats what you want then pick another drive.

I picked a brose bike because it feels the 'most natural' and seems to have the best response to rider inputs (comparing to bosch and shimano).

I also like the shimano steps 8000 system (which is even less powerful) but in the end the noise drives me crazy.

I find the brose works really well in the 80-90 cadence range which is where I like to ride. If your expecting it to feel good at 50 cadence, again pick another drive (perhaps yamaha).

The Bulls brose bikes have a pretty big battery at 650wh, bigger than most and integrated into the downtube. Not sure how one would improve on this for a comparable size battery.

Offering discounts on less popular items as new items become available isnt unique to bulls, its pretty common throughout the retail industry. Now if the new models come out being cheaper, thats no good if you just bought the older model. Sounds like Bulls needs to heavily discount the Evo 2. I had originally intended to get the Bulls Evo 3 29 in August of last year when it could be had for $2800 but I waited too long and they sold out in my size.

I just recently bought an iZip Moda E3 for $2250 (original retail was $3700).

Pick the bike that best suits your needs/riding style. Better to pay for more what you want then get what you dont want on sale.

Sounds like Easy Motion might be a better fit for you, their a wonderful brand.

I love my Bulls Evo 3 27.5+, its not perfect by any means. Would I buy another? Not sure. My LeBS doesnt carry Bulls and I would prefer to buy from them.

Last edited:
I agree about the Brose. I rode 20-25 bikes and also found the Brose the most natural and definitely the most quiet.

Back