First assist stopped... then LCD panel quit... ideas?

christob

Not a common bike model here (Vintage Electric - Cafe) but a strange development which I'm hoping could have common troubleshooting steps with other bikes...

Background: I'm around 800 total miles in on the basically new bike (had it in my possession for 11 weeks today.)
A rear-wheel squeak/chirping sound developed early-on; after a few unproductive investigations and adjustment attempts at LBS, Vintage decided to send me a new rear wheel with new hub-motor. That was installed by LBS last weekend; I picked up the bike late Monday night.

Tuesday morning (5/15) was my first ride on the bike with the new wheel -- blissfully silent, no chirping/squeak! So awesome after many weeks with that squeak! Rode to work (6.7 miles) as normal on a full battery (charged the night before.) On the ride home, stopped by the LBS to tell them the happy news that "the squeak is gone!" and to buy a few things.

About 3 miles after leaving the shop, I came to realize my Assist was no longer actually assisting. At all. It had been, all morning and I believe it had been on the evening ride to the shop (now, thinking back, I'm wondering if the Assist was starting to fade on that evening ride to the shop.) The LCD panel was still on & responding to my inputs -- I could select any Assist from 0 to 5; but it didn't matter -- on a flat stretch of paved trail, it made no difference (and normally, just going from Level 1 to Level 2 on a flat stretch, you immediately feel the boost...) No assist was happening.

Stopped riding, turned it all off, removed the battery, reseated the battery, turned it all back on... still no Assist at any level. (However, Walk Mode would actually spin the rear wheel at that point.)

Called to Vintage Support and to LBS from the bike trail -- after trying various suggestions (mostly ensuring the various visible / reachable wiring connections where tightly seated, etc., that the wiring down inside the seatpost (for an integrated saddle rear LED I was no longer using) wasn't kinked/pinched) -- no luck. LBS guy suggested turning it off, riding it @2 minutes in manual-power-only, then parking it, remove the battery, put it back on, then turn it back on. When I followed that plan surprisingly at that point, the LCD screen would no longer power on.

Rode home on pedal power, and thought perhaps the battery somehow really had died/depleted (despite only about 10 easy miles in Level 1 and 2, against a full charge; I have gone 35 miles in the past with charge left to spare.) So I fully charged it anyway (off the bike) and reseated it -- still not able to power on the LCD screen...

So. Vintage's support said the LCD not coming on was actually promising -- in that it very likely pointed to a wiring snafu at the controller (housed inside the battery-mount bracket on my downtube.) They felt that it is likely to be something wiring-based that could have been damaged/pulled loose, or loose enough (during the LBS new-wheel install) that the vibrations of my ~10 miles ride were enough to fully disconnect that wiring.

But I'm just curious if there are other things you all can suggest, which I can self-help examine in the mean time... Thanks!

What kind of PAS sensor do they use? Multi magnet disc and sensor? Too much distance between the disc and sensor, and it won't work. Most of the wiring connectors have arrows on both halves and must align. Some connectors take a crazy amount of effort to plug together and remove. Some shops even suggest a brief warm up with a heat gun to soften the plastic and let them slide together easier. Do they have a fuse in the battery pack? Could have a short circuit that blew that.

Thanks @rich c; pas is torque sensing... but I don't know what's in the sensor. The one snap connector they had me check, going to the torque sensor, was hard to pull apart, but snapped together easily enough (and hard the arrows and a white dot for alignment.). Not sure about a fuse in the battery... certainly none are visible anywhere around the casing.
I think I'm looking at pedal power rides until next Tuesday (if it ever stops raining here!!) and the new controller install...

Good news update... V.E.B. sent me a new controller / battery mount / wiring harness, and that was installed tonight at LBS, and the bike powered on as normal when they were done! Will get my first ride (with assist available!) in a while now, weather permitting, tomorrow morning into work!

Update... the new controller allowed the bike to power on again... but actually upon first ride, assist still didn't kick in. (Though Walk Mode worked.) I feel like, in my non-techy opinion, the pedal assist sensor is fried.
So after sending me a new rear wheel with new hub motor @3 weeks ago, and now the new controller, V.E.B. support team is baffled, and I'm happy to report that they are now sending me a full, brand new replacement bike, due in June 1.

@christob, that's great news! Generally, a new controller fixes the issues you reported; however, that torque sensor could be the issue or a more subtle problem, something with the wiring harness that could be a real challenge for you to trace down. Good that Vintage is sending out a replacement bike.

@Ann M. I'm quite happy they proposed it as the resolution now, because it was going to have to be the next thing I would have suggested, after our various trouble-shooting attempts and replacement parts weren't fully successful.
Even more impressive to me -- I bought the bike in March, discounted 25% (a "bike show" model with 74 miles accumulated, and a slight fender dent.) Now they're sending me a brand new one... I'll certainly be happy to have a fully-functioning bike again (and they'll get the current bike back, to investigate) - it feels a little "funny" now (but very reassuring, customer-service-wise!) that after the discounted price I paid, I end up with a new bike... major kudos to VEB for standing behind their products that way!

Fingers crossed... new replacement bike arrived at shop on Fri night, to be assembled... they'll do the assembly tomorrow, and it should be ready for pick up tomorrow night!

Update - I have the new, replacement bike now, and today was the first ride, commuting into work... SO happy to be back in the saddle after a 22 day gap while the original bike's assist sensor was dead. (I'm presuming that was the problem -- but the maker's going to do an autopsy when they get the old bike back.)

Update - I have the new, replacement bike now, and today was the first ride, commuting into work... SO happy to be back in the saddle after a 22 day gap while the original bike's assist sensor was dead. (I'm presuming that was the problem -- but the maker's going to do an autopsy when they get the old bike back.)

Ok folks, Is everyone paying attention ? ...This is what quality Customer Service looks like from a quality e-bike company. A big shout out
for Vintage Electric Bikes ! ...Full disclosure. I have nothing to do with VEB whatsoever and don't own a Vintage Electric Bike, but when companies do the right thing it should be shared.

John from CT

Back