Felt Sport Electric Bike with Bosch Performance Drive

Cool convos in here. I wanted to just put a couple of items out there as I feel it could be helpful.

The Nyon won't be in the US for at least another year. Currently Bosch is having trouble finding a proper partner to provide GPS data. I hope it gets sorted soon though as that system is awesome. I was checking it out at Eurobike.

We have both the Trekking and the SPORTe in the shop and I agree with much of the comments above. Both the bikes stop delivering power at 20 mph which most find adequate, but some want more. I'm really impressed with the weight they were able to achieve with the SPORTe though. The NINEe has bee rather popular for us too, we're in the process of setting one up with 2.1" wide Big Ben's and integrated Supernova lights. It's a pretty awesome bike for those looking for a little more comfort than the SPORTe, although we're currently testing some shock options for the SPORTe as well. Feel free to reach out with any questions and well do our best to help.

We really appreciate your insight, Chris. I hope that it translates into sales from members here as I continue to learn and you're always offering more. I would have no problem whatsoever purchasing from you over the phone from just your contributions here. (btw, I don't know Chris from 'boo').

We really appreciate your insight, Chris. I hope that it translates into sales from members here as I continue to learn and you're always offering more. I would have no problem whatsoever purchasing from you over the phone from just your contributions here. (btw, I don't know Chris from 'boo').
Very kind of you to say. I learn a lot from you guys as well and I'm happy to reciprocate. It's really exciting to watch this community grow and I'm grateful to be a part of it :)

Here is a review of the latest Felt Bosch ebike by Newwheel.
Key points:

Bosch Performance Mid Drive with 60Nm Torque
40 lbs..!!!!! (what??)
Hydraulic Disc Brakes
400wh battery (standard for Bosch)

[/Q
Here is a review of the latest Felt Bosch ebike by Newwheel.
Key points:

Bosch Performance Mid Drive with 60Nm Torque
40 lbs..!!!!! (what??)
Hydraulic Disc Brakes
400wh battery (standard for Bosch)

I bought one the last week of September and couldn't be happier with it.

I'm 61 and am riding it 10.5 miles to work several times a week. This machine is an absolute blast to ride, and here in traffic hell, aka Austin, my commute takes about 35 minutes--faster than I can drive it.

This bike exceeds all of my expecations. I love this bike.

My approach is to find the best bicycle for my needs. I am leaning towards the Felt Compulsion 10. Do everything I can to make the conventional bike work optimally. In my case, gear ratios will be critical. My hill is 18% grade. I did the calculations. Without precise control over the gear ratio, the bike will not generate enough torque. the bosch sprocket removes that flexibility

I run or walk up the 18% grade 5+ days per week. I would feel foolish if I could run up the hill faster than I could pedal the Bosch. I Raced a very thin and fit female bicyclist on foot, up a 7.5% grade last week. I ran passed her at 9mph. She never caught up. To me, it is all about optimizing and training, whether running or cycling.

I will train on his hill with an optimized bike. After I understand the torque requirements, I can greatly improve any motor performance. HPC tells me 25% torque improvements through gear ratios alone. Then, add an HPC BBS02 or BBS03 to exactly match the conditions. I am Referring to the controller software.

Matching the controller software profiles to your particular situation may have a bigger impact than adapting gear ratios. As far as I know, HPC has advanced this more than any other company. Bosch is a closed system that reminds me of Microsoft.

I find putting pictures of bikes in a side-by-side comparison very revealing. DUALe and Compulsion 10 pictures in the side-by-side comparison. My eyes are very much attracted to the frame/ bottom bracket / suspension design on traditional mountain bikes. The bosch implementation strikes me as a compromise I will regret in the long run.

Last edited:
Cool convos in here. I wanted to just put a couple of items out there as I feel it could be helpful.

The Nyon won't be in the US for at least another year. Currently Bosch is having trouble finding a proper partner to provide GPS data. I hope it gets sorted soon though as that system is awesome. I was checking it out at Eurobike.

We have both the Trekking and the SPORTe in the shop and I agree with much of the comments above. Both the bikes stop delivering power at 20 mph which most find adequate, but some want more. I'm really impressed with the weight they were able to achieve with the SPORTe though. The NINEe has bee rather popular for us too, we're in the process of setting one up with 2.1" wide Big Ben's and integrated Supernova lights. It's a pretty awesome bike for those looking for a little more comfort than the SPORTe, although we're currently testing some shock options for the SPORTe as well. Feel free to reach out with any questions and well do our best to help.

Hi Chris-Just curious if the Nyon interface has made it to the US market? I noticed there were some bugs in the system that needed attention (lockouts etc). Looks like a great interface and well worth the upgrade from the Intuvia interface. I would also consider purchasing from you. Thanks for all of your valuable feedback!

Bob,

The Nyon is not available yet from US dealers. I purchased mine from overseas and had to jump though a few hoops to get it working. I hope Chris has better news than I do!

jeff

Unfortunately the Nyon isn't coming to the US for model year 2017 and it's possible it won't come in the future as I believe Bosch has something else in the works. I hope to have more news on that soon. I have a meeting at Bosch next week, but I'm not sure if I'll have news on that yet.

As Jeff mentioned it seems that he has some experience upgrading to the EU spec Nyon without issues. This seems the most viable option at the moment, but I don't have too much personal experience with it and I haven't gotten feedback from Bosch about the possible implications. I don't think it should be much of an issue, you'll just need to work with the dealer you bought the Nyon from if you need support on it though since Bosch USA doesn't support non-US spec parts. It's really more of an inventory and training thing.

I hope this helps. I'll bring this topic up next week at Bosch in Irvine and see if there is any comments from their side.

Unfortunately the Nyon isn't coming to the US for model year 2017 and it's possible it won't come in the future as I believe Bosch has something else in the works. I hope to have more news on that soon. I have a meeting at Bosch next week, but I'm not sure if I'll have news on that yet.

As Jeff mentioned it seems that he has some experience upgrading to the EU spec Nyon without issues. This seems the most viable option at the moment, but I don't have too much personal experience with it and I haven't gotten feedback from Bosch about the possible implications. I don't think it should be much of an issue, you'll just need to work with the dealer you bought the Nyon from if you need support on it though since Bosch USA doesn't support non-US spec parts. It's really more of an inventory and training thing.

I hope this helps. I'll bring this topic up next week at Bosch in Irvine and see if there is any comments from their side.

Thanks for the info Chris-It seems as though it is so practical and fitting for the Bosch system. I would think it would help accelerate sales on these bikes as an available upgrade option from the Intuvia. Good Luck and have fun in Irvine! I'll be watching the threads!

Back