Feasible doing my own trike conversion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A BMS has 2 functions. To protect and read each cell in the array individually, controlling charging functions, and to prevent damage from over discharge.
All BMS are NOT created equal. Please don't continue the misinformation.

OK, some things i should point out. First of all, the risk is minimal, each cell will be charged individually with a smart charger. It's hilarious to watch people react like a BMS is the beginning and end of all battery architecture. A BMS has 2 functions. To protect and read each cell in the array individually, controlling charging functions, and to prevent damage from over discharge. If each cell is removed and charged individually, that covers the first function, and a fuse covers the second function. As far spot welding connections goes, talk about overkill? Sure i get that applications that involve a lot of kinetic reactions requires a strong connection but welding your battery is complete overkill.
Soldering is more likely to damage the cell from heat than spot welding. It is not about a stronger connection. As for the risk, that is yours to take. However, I was referring to the fire risk of using cheap knockoff cells, not the lack of a BMS.

Soldering is more likely to damage the cell from heat than spot welding. It is not about a stronger connection. As for the risk, that is yours to take. However, I was referring to the fire risk of using cheap knockoff cells, not the lack of a BMS.
OK, ask yourself what makes these cells risky? The danger is of over-charging or over-discharging, both of which are covered.

All BMS are NOT created equal. Please don't continue the misinformation.
I'm not the one repeating disinformation. Yes i get it, BMS makes it's easier for the consumer who doesn't want to think about their batteries, but frankly, it poses a greater risk (you don't even know if the one in your pack is functioning without taking it apart.). I'm talking about individual cell management. The whole purpose of a BMS is to facilitate charging them as an entire pack, so you don't have to worry about charging each cell individually. Yes they have a few other bells and whistles like temperature monitoring, and low voltage shut-off, but that's pretty much it. Low voltage concerns are taken care of by the voltage meter, charging concerns are handled in each cell individually, and a fuse is taking care over discharge concerns. So tell me, where exactly am I spreading disinformation?

OP here... I'm still getting these (now grossly off topic) notifications. Not that I have any business, because I'm really not an expert, but perhaps I can be that cautionary tale.

I figured a battery was a battery and that LiPo were safe and that those stories of fire management were just people being overly cautious. Why? Because I'd built and flown various inexpensive planes, helicopters and drones all using the cheapest parts I could find and batteries from places like Hobby King, etc. I never had a problem. Until I did.

July 2018. I was in Europe, my house was in Canada. My cheap-0 batteries were NOT charging or discharging. They were just sitting there minding their own business. Then I got the call.

100% loss to everything I own. No, I'm not kidding. This happened. It took over 2 years to get back to some degree of normalcy (well, as much as one can with COVID happening in the middle).

Attached is the ceiling of the room the battery was in.

Attachments

• IMG_20180817_152000242.jpg
    IMG_20180817_152000242.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 291
OK folks, looks like this has careened completely off topic and into name-calling, so this thread is getting locked down.

Friendly reminder to all, please keep things on topic, and if you don't have something nice to say, keep it to yourself!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back