Fat tire bike selection help. Murf anyone?

Scott2.0

Hi all,

What a great resource this is! I'm looking at my first e-bike and I like the look of the fat tire cruisers. No commuting, just fun around town and maybe on the local canal trails. I've narrowed it down to the Juiced Ripcurrent, the RadRover, and the Murf Fat Murf. Here's my analysis thus far:

1605828036925.png

What am I missing? I like the Fat Murf, but I can't find a single thing about them on this forum. Is anyone familiar? The specs look good and I like the warranty, although I need to look into how it would work since I'm not local to them and they seem like a smaller operation.

The RadRover is attractive based on price, but 8mph slower seems like a noticeable deficiency. Is it?

The Ripcurrent seems like a lot of bang for the buck given it's torque sensor. Juiced told me that it's not good to use it as a scooter/in throttle only mode without pedaling though. Is that specific to that or does that apply to all?

I'm having a little analysis paralysis here. If you could add to it by throwing some alternatives my way, or help me narrow the field, I'd greatly appreciate it. Also, any Murf specific feedback would be awesome. To my eye, they seem to be the most attractive. Thanks in advance!

One of my 3 ebikes is a 2 year old Rad Rover. With a few simple input changes you can get 24 mph. If you haven't had some time on a fat tire ebike, try to ride one a little before purchasing. Yes, fat tire bikes look good but I prefer a narrower tire for performance, handling and comfort. I replaced the heavy front spring fork with a solid lighter one trimming off about 7 pounds. I'm not a fan of Cadence sensor, prefer torque sensor and a lighter bike.

One of my 3 ebikes is a 2 year old Rad Rover. With a few simple input changes you can get 24 mph. If you haven't had some time on a fat tire ebike, try to ride one a little before purchasing. Yes, fat tire bikes look good but I prefer a narrower tire for performance, handling and comfort. I replaced the heavy front spring fork with a solid lighter one trimming off about 7 pounds. I'm not a fan of Cadence sensor, prefer torque sensor and a lighter bike.
Thanks! Isn’t the Rad Rover a cadence sensor though? Based on your cadence vs. torque sensing comment, it seems the Juiced options may be best. I’m now also strongly considering the Biktrix Juggernaut Duo. The base model hub drive has torque sensing.

Yes, Rad is cadence, my other two bikes are torque. My preference for torque sensor is based on comparison.

Last edited:
First, riding for pleasure only, I would suggest that the novelty of going fast is going to wear off quickly - especially when you realize how much battery it's eating up while doing that. This coming from somebody currently on a 1500w bike, and the previous was conservatively rated at 1000w - and neither see 15mph often. I like the big motors for easily climbing any hill I point them at (useless if you're a flat lander), also for their ability to get across a busy road in great haste, and to be truthful, for their ability to straighten my arms when under full power.

Regarding cadence vs. torque sensing, there have been endless discussions regarding which is "best", but when it comes to "function" few will argue they both work just fine. For that reason, and for the many comments that I've seen indicating they are easier to ride, I would suggest that a cadence system makes for a great way to get around on a "first bike" basis - especially when struggling with the giant leap required to even get an e-bike. And yes, I have both. Noteworthy, is both are easily capable of climbing any (paved) hill I point them at, both will cross a road in great haste, and both are capable of straightening my arms under full power.......

Keep it simple. Get a bike and start riding it as soon as you can. You'll be a much more educated buyer soon. You may want more bike, but there would be no surprise here if you decide you'll be just fine with the one you started on.....

First, riding for pleasure only, I would suggest that the novelty of going fast is going to wear off quickly - especially when you realize how much battery it's eating up while doing that. This coming from somebody currently on a 1500w bike, and the previous was conservatively rated at 1000w - and neither see 15mph often. I like the big motors for easily climbing any hill I point them at (useless if you're a flat lander), also for their ability to get across a busy road in great haste, and to be truthful, for their ability to straighten my arms when under full power.

Regarding cadence vs. torque sensing, there have been endless discussions regarding which is "best", but when it comes to "function" few will argue they both work just fine. For that reason, and for the many comments that I've seen indicating they are easier to ride, I would suggest that a cadence system makes for a great way to get around on a "first bike" basis - especially when struggling with the giant leap required to even get an e-bike. And yes, I have both. Noteworthy, is both are easily capable of climbing any (paved) hill I point them at, both will cross a road in great haste, and both are capable of straightening my arms under full power.......

Keep it simple. Get a bike and start riding it as soon as you can. You'll be a much more educated buyer soon. You may want more bike, but there would be no surprise here if you decide you'll be just fine with the one you started on.....
Great advice, thanks! I'm close to pulling the trigger on the Biktrix Juggernaut Duo mid-drive. $1599 during their Indiegogo campaign which seems like a lot of bang for the buck. Probably way more bike than I need, but I've never been one to say, "I wish I had less". :)

Nothing wrong with that choice....

Back