Fat guy (280 lbs) Looking for 2000w Hand throttled Kit/parts Where to begin.

Thx, those look nice, how hard would adding a front disc brake be? as coaster brakes alone might not be enough
You would need a new front fork to add a front disk brake.

Coaster brake is not an option for an ebike. If you install a rear hub motor you lose the brake, front hub motor you could keep the coaster brake, but they overheat easy leaving little braking power and if the chain jumps or breaks no braking power.

@Lowquality no offense but you are falling into that first time builder trap: buy the cheapest bike possible and install the cheapest kit possible.

Don't do it.

Buy a decent used bike like a Trek or Specialized or Fuji or Giant with disc brakes (mechanical) and a quality frame that actually fits you. Buy a decent ekit from a seller with a great reputation and who has been in business for a while.

Sellers with good reputations:
CellMan http://em3ev.com/store/
GoldenMotors Canada http://www.goldenmotor.ca/
Electric Rider http://www.electricrider.com/

I'm sure there are others. These companies have been around at least 7 years.

@Lowquality no offense but you are falling into that first time builder trap: buy the cheapest bike possible and install the cheapest kit possible.

Don't do it.

Buy a decent used bike like a Trek or Specialized or Fuji or Giant with disc brakes (mechanical) and a quality frame that actually fits you. Buy a decent ekit from a seller with a great reputation and who has been in business for a while.

Sellers with good reputations:
CellMan http://em3ev.com/store/
GoldenMotors Canada http://www.goldenmotor.ca/
Electric Rider http://www.electricrider.com/

I'm sure there are others. These companies have been around at least 7 years.

Are you saying the golden pie hub motor is a bad motor/kit?

And as far as the bike, it looks like I'll have to go with plan B , which is order the motor/battery , then go up to the bike shop and find a frame that fits the battery, and myself, and find a similar one with disc brakes or install them.

Earlier you mentioned just buying an off the shelf e-bike, but I've noticed every single one cost $2400 and uses subpar batteries (most 10ah and 32v) and 500w motors - the only one that even looked decent was the Radmotors one, but the $175 shipping makes it to expensive.

Earlier you asked about did I actually ride the donor bike (which will not be used) - i rode it about 2 miles this weekend, yet im surrounded by big hills, I was able to do it but i stayed off major roads. It wasnt much fun and the brakes sucked.

anyways, the total after shipping is right at $1000 for the motor and a 48v 20ah Samsung battery , was going to buy 2 torque arms from a different company. Then I was going to find a suitable bike.

** Yes, its for exercise, but its also for fun. If i ride the bike for 30 minutes and only pedal for 10 of those minutes, thats 10 more minutes then i would of pedaled sitting at home. If the smaller motors did not cost the exact same as the larger motor I would just consider a smaller one. If and when I have to travel on or across 4 lane highways, which I will always have to do at least once in either direction, I do not want to rely on pedaling, just want to get on and get off asap as neither will require extended time periods. When going up a steep hill (a few of those around here in my path) I do not want to risk burning up the motor if I want to rest or simply lightly pedal which I'd assume the smaller motors would do - much like my 1200w scooter which almost burned up, realized when the motor is having that much strain its better to just get off and walk it. Hope that clears up some confusion - as this was a learning process for me as well.

Feel free to point me to a better motor/kit

That website has hand brakes on some models, but they are 'V' brakes. Not great, especially in wet weather. They offer the external gears, the derailleurs. Check the boxes.

Golden Motors is Golden Motors, as far as the motor goes. You can't order some of the stuff without knowing the wheel size, type of rim for brakes, where the battery will fit, etc. I'd find a bike, ride it, make sure it works as well as possible, then find a motor.

The Voltbike Interceptor and RadWagon are reasonable bikes with decent motors. Court lists all the 'Affordable Bikes', in the Reviews section. You can learn a lot more over there about factory ebikes. A lot of kit vendors will guide you through the process, or build a bike for you.

@Lowquality

Here's my personal opinion on eBikes and features, tailored to you.

Any eBike you buy should have a pedal assist feature, also called PAS, or Pedelec, and should allow for different levels of assist. Many bikes have both PAS and a throttle. You can read how pass works elsewhere, but basically it requires you to pedal and multiplies your input with the motor.. The amount of assist you get is adjustable.
Why?
1. You will get anywhere from 30% to 100% more range with PAS than a throttle.. You could play with the throttle to do the same thing but that never works for long and is way too much effort.
2. Your top speed should be higher, depending on the kit or the bike
3. Makes your eBike an excerise machine.. Lets assume you're out of shape, so you ride with maximum assist. As time goes on, you reduce the level of assist and increase your effeort and exercise.. I lost 20 lbs over the last year using my Stromer in this way, then I switched to regular bikes.

I would highly recommend whatever kit or bike you buy that it include a pedal assist. Or they can customize the kit for you.

You probably will be happy with anything in the 1000 to 1500w range, with 700 to 1000 kwh.. I have a 400 kwh battery and can go 30 miles on a charge.

I recommended Golden Motors Canada over the other goldenmotor sellers because of reputation. And ElectricRider because they build their own battery packs and stand behind what they sell.

Yeah, the motor I was looking at has PAS and throttle, I guess Lunacycles does something to make their magic pie motors 1500w instead of 1000w , as goldenmotors.ca says theirs is only 1000w but it seems to be the same motor.

Back