Falco hub drive?

timekpr1

Region
USA
I have a recumbent Catrike Expedition. It has an 18 speed Pinion Gearbox. My knees are telling me I need some help. I want to keep my Pinion so that leaves me with a hub drive. Falco is the only one that offers one with a torque sensor in it. It appears people either love or hate it. I am looking for some recent experiences with the Falco hub drive. I usually ride 25 to 30 miles a day in a fairly flat area. I have a 2 mile 2% to 3% grade as part of the ride. There is also a couple 1/8 mile 4% to 6% grades. All my riding is done on pavement. So will a Falco meet my needs?

Attachments

• 7FF9C339-93F6-4EB0-8164-DB88B4F3011F.jpeg
    7FF9C339-93F6-4EB0-8164-DB88B4F3011F.jpeg
    393.8 KB · Views: 170
I tried out a Falco 10yrs ago for a different than bicycle type project that never got off the ground and ended up selling it on before using it. To me just the fact that they are still in business could be a selling point. Hopefully they have it down after all these years anyway!

There are other ways to get torque sensing PAS though through the bb. Look into Grin products @ ebikes.ca? If nothing else there is alot of hub drive info there.

Thanks, I checked with GRIN and none of there PAS sensors will work with a Pinion. I guess if I can’t get a hub drive to work I’ll have to sell it and move on to another trike.

Ah, the Pinion, sorry I didn't read your post to comprehension.....I would guess that the Falco might work out for you then? Personally for primarily road work, albeit on a conventional two wheeler, I prefer a throttle control that can be set for wattage output and be able to pedal away as normal using the motor as a momentum generator. The gearbox concept is intriguing to me though I'd like to try one sometime!

Thanks, I checked with GRIN and none of there PAS sensors will work with a Pinion. I guess if I can’t get a hub drive to work I’ll have to sell it and move on to another trike.
No way to customize @PedalUma
I’m not clear on the pinion issue and your photo is low quality for zooming in.

Falcon has its fund but can be a PIA especially compared to Grin kits. I just bought a 9-continent ready to roll kit. Outstanding design and execution.

Ideally the setup would be reversed. You would have an IGH in the rear and a motor at the pedals. This way it would reduce weight and the motor's power would be multiplied by the gears.

Attachments

• EZSX05.JPG
    EZSX05.JPG
    261.8 KB · Views: 151
  • EZ Sport 03.JPG
    EZ Sport 03.JPG
    308.8 KB · Views: 156
  • EZSX04.JPG
    EZSX04.JPG
    287.2 KB · Views: 150
  • 12Stop03.JPG
    12Stop03.JPG
    258.7 KB · Views: 147
Small neodymium magnets epoxied to the inside of chainring. Bob's your uncle! OR, perhaps a 3d printed disc OR an existing disc with center enlarged? There is a way...maybe...

I will say this,I have basically stopped doing the "Homework" for People as well, I used to spend considerable thought and time running down stuff for People, to no avail- I do not know of any instance were there was followup on the things I had invested considerable time and energy finding for People.

Sorry guys, I am not looking for anyone to do “homework” for me. I was looking for info on the Falco hub drive. I’m not a bike mechanic. I could probably handle swapping out a rear rim, installing a battery and the controls. If I tried installing anything more than a complete package (such as a Falco or Grin) and I would be beyond the scope of my abilities. Though I do appreciate your suggestions.

Back