Eurobike 2017

Over50

I'm starting a thread hoping some Eurobike attendees will start updating us on what is new and cool. Videos are starting to surface with some news. If anyone sees any other cool vids please post em here:

I'd like to see the Bosch motors get smaller (and drop weight of course) particularly the speed motor. It would be nice if bike manufacturers could blend the speed motor like they do the CX motor. From the first videos posted from Eurobike, maybe what stands out most to me is the apparent leap forward that the Shimano system is taking.

Just prior to Eurobike, there were some videos posted regarding Bosch's ABS system:

After putting mileage exclusively on drop bar road ebikes over the last year I am glad to see the manufacturers putting some attention in that direction. However sleek/stealthy ones like in that first video I personally don't think they will draw that big a crowd, and not only because they have big price tags.

Road bikers as a rule are very weight conscious and although the efforts above weigh less than e mtb's the added weight of the e system for the amount of power/range they are predicting doesn't seem all that attractive. I would also argue that mid drive pedelec is the way to go with an e road bike, although the Orbea does use a hub motor, as it doesn't provide the pure pedaling experience that most have worded hard to perfect of their analog bike.

The bottom line is that the current rules regarding e bikes in the EU restrict them too much to be effective. Here in the US if one was designed to be a 750w Class III it would be closer to what would perhaps make it attractive.

Pete Willerton @ Electric Bike Report had some good coverage but I don't have the link handy.
Now I do: https://electricbikereport.com

Last edited:
There's so much new stuff I wouldn't even know where to start. The Rohloff E-14 hasn't been mentioned much, yet it signifies a new era for electronic IGHs as it's fully integrated with the Bosch system. The transmission is powered by the main battery and communicates with the Bosch controller via the e-shift system.

Rohloff is the recipient of a gold award at Eurobike.

http://www.eurobike-show.com/eb-en/eurobike-award/award-gallery-product.php?year=2017&id=3605

The concept is explained by Bosch in this video

What I really like is that it has auto downshift when you stop (shifting these 14 gears was a bit of a workout) and also that it can shift 3 gears at a time, which on an e-bike with 14 available gears is kind of a must.
Remains to see how fast it goes into that mode so it can be used quickly. You don't want it to take as much time to get in that mode as it would take to click 3 times. It could also be nice if you could actual set how many gears to shift with one push, like 1,2,3,4,5,6,7. Basically letting people set any number of virtual gear within the 14.

It would also be nice if it could integrate with the Bafang Max (& Ultra) drive motor controller...

Last edited:
It shifts the entire range in 3 seconds using the 3 gear shift shortcut. But only a subset of the gears will be necessary to get up to speed as it has a 560% gear range. I doubt you'd need to go through all of those very often.

I agree with you about the custom sequences. If you're stopping at a red light on a flat terrain, you might only need to jump down into 2nd or 3rd gear. But if you're starting off on a hill, you'd most probably want to start in first gear.

I'm excited about the system because it integrates drive and transmission, which will probably get other IGH manufacturers to rethink their current products and takes things a step or two further. The E-14 is eagerly awaited by professional users in the cargo e-bike segment, and it will no doubt trickle into high end recreational e-bikes too. I expect the price tag to be fairly consequent, but it's a proof of concept type of product, which is probably why Bosch has embraced the association with Rolhoff. The idea here seems to be to encourage other manufacturers to adopt e-shift.
Thanks for the speed info, it sounds good.

I contacted Rohloff, and here is what they said about further customization:
The E-14 shifter does have a third button which to date, almost nobody has inquired about. This button is present to permit cyclists to customize the way that their SPEEDHUB shifts. Although this is not available to date, the option to include such features is definitely integrated into the design as is Bluetooth compatibility for future APP based control etc.. We are as always, continuing to research and develop the technology and hope to integrate a number of new features into the design over the next few years, to ensure E-14 is the most advanced electronic shifting system available for E-bikes.

So it looks promising.
I also emailed Bafang to suggest they get on board :) a combination of the Rohloff wth the Bafang Max Ultra using E shift would be a larger ratio range alternative to the NuVinci (although more expensive)

BTW, did you find a bike with the Nuvinci that fits your needs? I certainly hope you'll find something sooner than later. Choosing an e-bike can be really difficult and frustrating.

I am in the middle of a house move process, so I am not in a hurry. I recently saw the announcement of Luna Cycle about the Apex, and I am excited at the possibilities :)
You have to scroll back to the top of the page below.
https://electricbike.com/forum/foru...w-ebikes/41955-luna-apex-bike-ask-us-anything

Back