EU RadRhino 2018 + Upgrades

J0nG0m

So after long time of reading about ebikes decided that I just had to buy one and get things rolling... The interesting part was that I wanted a cargo bike, and 'the one' that had everything that I wanted was the 2018 R&M Multicharger, here in Finland that means close to 5000€, yes you could say is a lot of money but when you want a car replacement option it is not that big money.

In the meantime while studying options thought that for our Finnish winter would be nice to have an fatbike (because I know what is like to commute by bike early in the morning with either 10cm of fresh snow or what is worst which is when the packed snow melts an gets frozen again becoming some sort of almost unrideable ice). So when added fatbike + ebike (but I wasn't looking for a fat-ebike) one of the options was the RadRhino so decided to buy it. At the same time I was still considering to get the R&M Multicharger, but in my city I don't have a reseller so my option was to buy online, but for a 5000€ bike I didn't want to take the risk (way too many “what if“).

So fast forward to last Tuesday, got the bike (RadRhino that is) which was bought it on cyber Monday for 1699€. AMAZING!!! This bike is great and at so far just love it, not perfect by any means but still think is a well thought machine.

What I don't like (so far):

- Riding position: I'm an avid rider, in summer time I have done up to 200km round trip, and commute by bike almost all year round. So for me is important to feel that I'm “on the bike“. The RadRhino has a “sitting on“ position, I feel like I'm dragged by the bike. So on my second day with the bike changed the stem and the handlebars for a RaceFace Ride combo, and now it feels way much better. To be honest this is all just a matter of taste.

- Brakes: I've been using hydraulic brakes for long time, maybe I'm just spoiled I know but got used to them so these brakes have to go.

- Shimano Acera: not bad, it works ok for the money and I think I can get used to them, but if I can and if is possible I'll be installing Deore XT derailleur and shifter.

- Crankset: meh! Don't hate it, but same as above!

- Grips: nah! Not for me, Ergon GP1 Rohloff/ Nexus are on the way already

- Display: work fine, does the job but it could be nicer though

What I like (so far):

- Frame: strong and very well built.

- Racks: same as above

- Pedals: excellent and included on the price (almost always have to buy my own)

- Wheels and Tyres: for the price really good option

- Fork: I don't think anyone is taking this bike for a technical track, so for that reason the fork is just the right one. But I might change them just because of the weight.

- Bafang: wow, amazing this little motor is great... And for those in EU >>> up + down x 2 = 40kmh

What I don't get (so far)

- Lights: some people are recommending to change them but for they work just fine, brake light + enough bright headlight.

- 48v vs 52v: hmmm maybe too much money/effort for little change, no?

- Seat tube: works fine and for commute don't see the advantage of suspension here.

Overall: 1699€ can get you a decent none electric bike, with decent components. I this case 1699€ got me a really nice ebike, with a little effort this bike can shine like no other, somehow is the perfect canvas to work on so it can become the bike you really want.

To be honest still think R&M are the ones making the closest you can get to a perfect bike, expensive bikes for people who just don't like or don't have the time to tinker/tweak. My RadRhino just remind me that, I'm a tweaker, so for that reason I'm saying bye (for now) to my plan of getting a top of the line cargo bike, to be honest now I'm thinking about that RadWagon, or the RadCity if was available in EU :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Zds
Upgrade #1: Winter studded tyres.

Today fell for the first time on my RadRhino, but actually the second time on this winter (both cases was while tight cornering). Snow has packed and yesterday was on the plus side so the ice is just calling for victims.

To avoid another fall decided to invest in probably the most expensive tyres ever (for me that is), 45nrth Dillinger 4 for the whopping 308,42€ the pair, just hope not to brake a bone while they get here :rolleyes:

Last edited:
45Nrth Dillinger 4

IMG_20181219_130912.jpg

Well for the price I hope they are the best studed fat tyres around, expect no less. Vee Snow Shoe was another option, but here in EU they are just hard to find

45NRTH Dillinger 4 Review:

Before I give my impression on both KENDA and 45NRTH please bear in mind that I have only riden the RadRhino on snow, therefore I have no experience on dry pavement.

The short answer is that Dillinger 4 are far better tyres, and I don't mean a bit just better, they are definitely way much better.

The long answer is that Dillinger 4 are better tyres because the traction on compact snow, deep snow, black ice and icy roads. Ok you might think that obviously are better on icy roads, because these tyres can't be compared because one is studded and the other not, yes, but also on deep snow D4 outperform KENDA big time.

Also D4 are supple, such a comfortable ride so is not only marketing because they really are amazing. Now I'm a bad reviewer, I should've had taken then weight of the tyres, but I didn't, so believe me when I say that they are also lighter than the Juggernauts.

I was a bit concerned if the studded tyres were going to touch the mudguards but they don't, and to be honest I don't think they are much taller than the Juggernauts. The installation was easy, maybe if anything this D4 were easier because they are foldable.

The Juggernauts I used them first with 20psi and then down to 15psi, I have the D4 right now at 15psi maybe tomorrow will try both 18psi and 20 psi to see how they feel like.

All in all great tyres, horribly expensive but worth it and I don't plan to use the Juggernauts for winter at least anymore. Recommended.

Last edited:
I lived in LA for 2 years and ran a Radrover which I loved but sold before I left due to shipping issues. I am now in Europe and am considering a Rhino. You mentioned in the post that you can adjust the top speed to 40kmh... I assume you do the same to revert it back to 25kmh?
In LA it was not limited. Incidentally I ran mine with a rack, fenders and smooth tyres and used as a commuter... was ace.

I lived in LA for 2 years and ran a Radrover which I loved but sold before I left due to shipping issues. I am now in Europe and am considering a Rhino. You mentioned in the post that you can adjust the top speed to 40kmh... I assume you do the same to revert it back to 25kmh?
In LA it was not limited. Incidentally I ran mine with a rack, fenders and smooth tyres and used as a commuter... was ace.

Sure you can adjust it from 25kmh all the way up to 40kmh and/or anything in between whenever you want, as many times as you may decide to do so.

To be honest 25kmh is kind of a joke, when you go uphill you need those extra watts, and if the controller is limiting your watts you just never going to feel how capable the bike is, therefore keeping it unlimited is necessary.

This is very interesting information, thank you for the reviews. I also live in Finland, and I am in the process of - very gradually - switching to commuting to work by e-bike in non-icy conditions, which here in the south-western coast is 8+ months per year. My commute is 36 km round trip, and I bought my first e-bike (White SC-E Comp FF 18) in August for covering it. After 900 kilometers, I've been very happy with the purchase, save for the ridiculous 25 km/h speed limit on assist. Over 90% of the commute is off-city-center, straight road surface, no mud/gravel sections etc, which means I'm now "enjoying the scenery" at the leisurely pace of 25 km/h much more than I'd like to.

In August, I was also giving serious thought to buying a Radrhino, but with over 20 years since the last bike purchase of mine, I decided to play it safe and not order online. Now I'm again thinking about buying one, "overclocking" its limit to 40 km/h, and hoping to be able to cover the commute in roughly half an hour each way. That would be very competitive relative to a car, and far superior to public transport anyway.

Now that your Radrhino's novelty is slowly wearing off, do you still think it was worth the purchase for the Finnish environment?

You didn't mention the extent of your commute, but would you consider Radrhino for a 36 km roundtrip on a daily basis? I've test ridden a couple of ordinary fat bikes, and noticed in both cases that the tires were surprisingly noisy and "heavy" to drive on paved surface. I guess you can fix this to a degree by sufficient tire pressure, but it would seem to me that the such tires do not last very long. Of course it goes both ways; a fat bike surely excels when the temperature drops and you need the friction.

This is very interesting information, thank you for the reviews. I also live in Finland, and I am in the process of - very gradually - switching to commuting to work by e-bike in non-icy conditions, which here in the south-western coast is 8+ months per year. My commute is 36 km round trip, and I bought my first e-bike (White SC-E Comp FF 18) in August for covering it. After 900 kilometers, I've been very happy with the purchase, save for the ridiculous 25 km/h speed limit on assist. Over 90% of the commute is off-city-center, straight road surface, no mud/gravel sections etc, which means I'm now "enjoying the scenery" at the leisurely pace of 25 km/h much more than I'd like to.

In August, I was also giving serious thought to buying a Radrhino, but with over 20 years since the last bike purchase of mine, I decided to play it safe and not order online. Now I'm again thinking about buying one, "overclocking" its limit to 40 km/h, and hoping to be able to cover the commute in roughly half an hour each way. That would be very competitive relative to a car, and far superior to public transport anyway.

Now that your Radrhino's novelty is slowly wearing off, do you still think it was worth the purchase for the Finnish environment?

You didn't mention the extent of your commute, but would you consider Radrhino for a 36 km roundtrip on a daily basis? I've test ridden a couple of ordinary fat bikes, and noticed in both cases that the tires were surprisingly noisy and "heavy" to drive on paved surface. I guess you can fix this to a degree by sufficient tire pressure, but it would seem to me that the such tires do not last very long. Of course it goes both ways; a fat bike surely excels when the temperature drops and you need the friction.

Hei...

I'm in Oulu, so for me it means a lot of snow (like right now but not as bad as last winter). Snow is not as bad as when snow melts and frezzes again, and on those conditions the RadRhino does a great job specially with low psi.

I don't think the RadRhino is a perfect ebike, but its flaws and quircks in most cases are just a matter of personal taste or preferences. Now for the money I think is a great bike but it might be the case that you might have to invest a bit more to adapt it to your need (hence my ongoing review and updates).

My daily commute to work and back home is around 13km, and I've been using it every day for that porpuise without a problem. On weekends have done up to 35km trips without any hassle, the bike is just like a Toyota Corolla, not beautiful, not great, not luxurious, not state of the art but it works well and feels almost indestructible.

We have had snow here since I got the bike, so don't have any experience on dry pavement so far. But yes those Kenda might be loud, but I'm planing to buy Vee Chicane tyres for summer, better for "normal commuting conditions"

Before I was using a WHITE SC LITE FF 18, similar to yours but not electric. If I compare these 2 bikes the RadRhino is much better for commuting because I don't get sweaty to work, plus I can carry all my stuff in the panniers and on the rack. With that said the RadRhino is 20kg heavier than my White, but in reality those 2 are just different animals.

Yes. I would recommend it, again bear in mind that you might have to do some work to adapt the bike to you, but to be honest that job is something that any bike enthusiast will enjoy spending time in. I have tried TREK and CUBE mid drive bikes, yes those bikes are better without doubt, but not 5000€ better if you know what I mean. With that said if you have that kind of money, why not right? With this bike is all about opportunity for experimenting with all the customizing options available. So if you embrace DIY then this bike is for you.

Last edited:
Good advice, thanks. I'm in Naantali (my cousins live in Oulu -- small world), and would commute to Turku. I'm not a cycling enthusiast, though I do enjoy sports in general very much, so I'm taking it slow to transition to commuting by ebike. I noticed that 18 km one way could be pure joy in the summertime, but it did become a bit of a burden in November when the road was still not icy, but you had close to zero temperature with rain pouring over you. As I have to take kids to sports several times a week in the wintertime too, I will be primarily commuting by car in the more icy months Dec-Mar. Thus a fat tire bike might be an overkill in my case.

The White e-bike does get me to work without sweat alright, but, legal issues aside, I'd really like to have the average velocity closer to 40 km/h than to the 25 km/h it is right now. Hence my questions.

I don't mind DIY at all, but haven't done any bike maintenance myself in a very good while. In the DIY world, I guess a reasonable alternative could also be to buy a 750 W Bafang motor kit and install it on a "Toyota Corolla" quality hybrid bike. Excellent analogy, by the way!

One more question on the Radrhino comes to mind: What's the cadence like in higher speeds? If you go close to 40 km/h, would you look like a hamster in a wheel?

@Aero To be honest never been close to 40kmh (or haven't) I think it all depends on the weight, and also on these snow/icy roads maybe not possible, I think I have reached 34kmh (maybe) on 7th gear and the cadence was alright, fast pedaling but not hamster like.

I'm hooked with this ebike thing, I've been researching and making your own ebike doesn't seem crazy nor hard. For example bafang has a mid drive 1000w motor G510, the kit including battery, display, crank, sensor can cost around 500€ from Alibaba, and aluminium frame (fat bike) for that motor is priced around 300€ (I say around because you'll have to calculate taxes). So all in all you can make your own ebike for 'little' money. With that said the RadRhino is great as it is, and many ride it without any modifications.

Unfortunately here in EU we can't buy other options like Juiced, Volt, etc, taxes would go sky rocket, not to mention the risks of transportation.

Yeah, based on everything I've read, the best thing (besides sheer availability) about Radrhino seems to be that it is a well-thought package with a reasonable price tag. Like you said, it is just too bad there is virtually no competition in this niche in the EU. At least for now: The way I see it, e-biking is going to skyrocket here in the next 5-10 years. People don't quite realize that you can make a 10 km trip in virtually the same time it would take by car, especially in a city. And given the trends for environmental-friendliness, electrification of transport in general etc. there really is no other way going forward.

Legislation on e-biking should be made more sensible, but, of course, this is an EU-wide issue. I really don't get it -- you can buy a decent ordinary road bike to take you to 40 km/h in a breeze, but try doing the same on an assisted e-bike and be prepared to get fined. And a standard Radrhino also requires a road insurance here, which should be no big deal - except that it seems difficult to even get a quotation for one from Finnish brokers.

This is getting a bit off topic, so feel free to cut it, but a local reputable bike vendor was very positive on Bafang equipment even in the Finnish climate, which is known to be a challenge due to huge temperature and moisture variation across the year. However, he did mention that you can't get a decent motor-battery set for less than 1k eur. Even discounting for his margin, I'd say 500€ is therefore dirt cheap. The battery could be subpar?

Attached is a picture about our legislation in relation to L1E-A, so according to that a legal unmodified RadRhino doesn't need insurance because neither exceeds 1kw nor 25km/h ←?

I think tomorrow would be the test for the bafang, our forecast is an average of -21. Today when came from work was around -11 and the bike worked just fine, not mention that most of the way was just glass like ice road therefore I can tell you that 45nrth are just the best fat studded tyres money can buy.

Bafang M620 is the kit that I'm talking about. Prices are around 500€ for everything but the battery or around 400€ for motor, display and battery. I believe the battery that bafang is offering with the kit has to be to the standard and reputation of the brand (I think Bafang is for bikes like Huawei is for consumer electronics)

Attachments

• lvk_ajoneuvolaki_1480x1090_en.png
    lvk_ajoneuvolaki_1480x1090_en.png
    134 KB · Views: 921
With respect, @J0nG0m, I think you might have it wrong as concerns the need for an insurance; search L1E-A on any Finnish insurance broker's site and you'll find indication of need for an insurance there. Also the Finnish version of the LVK site your picture comes from to seems to state this need for an insurance rather clearly (admittedly the English version does not). For what it's worth, it seems that you can now get an insurance for an L1e-A ebike for about 50 eur per year. It is then a matter of personal utility maximization to choose whether to pay this or risk for a ticket and/or costly uninsured crash with a car.

The Bafang motor you refer to would require a compatible frame, no? I myself might survive installing a mid or rear hub drive kit but probably not building an entire e-bike starting from a frame :). Yet the more I think about it, the more appealing the DIY approach becomes. There are so many examples of DIY e-bikes documented on public forums that one surely could build any configuration with the advice given there with the most risk in assembly associated with proper execution only. Ordering and using batteries from an obscure Chinese company might be an issue, though...

With respect, @J0nG0m, I think you might have it wrong as concerns the need for an insurance; search L1E-A on any Finnish insurance broker's site and you'll find indication of need for an insurance there. Also the Finnish version of the LVK site your picture comes from to seems to state this need for an insurance rather clearly (admittedly the English version does not). For what it's worth, it seems that you can now get an insurance for an L1e-A ebike for about 50 eur per year. It is then a matter of personal utility maximization to choose whether to pay this or risk for a ticket and/or costly uninsured crash with a car.

The Bafang motor you refer to would require a compatible frame, no? I myself might survive installing a mid or rear hub drive kit but probably not building an entire e-bike starting from a frame :). Yet the more I think about it, the more appealing the DIY approach becomes. There are so many examples of DIY e-bikes documented on public forums that one surely could build any configuration with the advice given there with the most risk in assembly associated with proper execution only. Ordering and using batteries from an obscure Chinese company might be an issue, though...

Yes my mistake, often interchange the words registration and insurance, and yes clearly in the Finnish version is well explained. Besides the point it's clear I neither have an insurance nor is registration ;)

Yes the kit that I'm referring to needs a particular frame, Bafang also offers a conversion kits, have no experience with those but on pictures they seem a bit off in how they sit in relation to the frame, again I don't have experience with that so I might be wrong.

Btw. The bike worked fine at -19 degrees, maybe the battery started to give the typical low charge after a while, but overall at least the motor worked fine and when took the battery inside was showing normal levels of charge.

On that note of batteries, yes using a cheap option would make your whole system cheap as well (even if you have the top notch motor) so no good idea to save on battery quality.

Riding any bike at -19 deg C seems rather extreme, let alone an electric one! Good to hear your Rhino performed. As far as I know, this temperature would be at the lower end of the battery's operating range, and I bet the motor too probably does not like to start cold in such conditions. But how do you keep your fingers and toes warm? The benefit of motor assistance works backwards - it is easy to go fast but you don't really warm up when you'd in fact need the enhanced blood circulation. Besides slippery roads (we don't have much snow here, but plenty of these in the winter time), this is one of the key reasons for my not riding a bike throughout the year.

On batteries and conversion kits in general: I've noticed that you seldom know what kind of quality you get at the time of ordering from the Far East. I've bought plenty of Arduino type electronics components on Ali/BG/GB and have been very happy, and then I've bought electric toys there that I've trashed the moment they arrived. It seems difficult to do due diligence when the shops display shiny Bafang-look-alike hardware with bogus labels and a whopping 10 orders all showing five-star reviews. Even if you wanted to buy higher-quality equipment there, say a battery with cells from a reputable manufacturer, you may end up receiving cheap fakes. And then you end up burning the house... sheez.

Edit: forgot to mention that Rad Power Bikes has clearly done this due diligence and done it well, it's just a pity the alternatives for us in the EU are few and far between.

Edit: forgot to mention that Rad Power Bikes has clearly done this due diligence and done it well, it's just a pity the alternatives for us in the EU are few and far between.

Even Rad alternatives for EU are either a Cargo bike or Fat bike. RadRhino is a great bike now that is winter, it suits my needs perfectly, but with the winter gone I think the Fat tyres, the volume of the bike and the weight is going to make ithe bike feel like an overkill, unnecessary features for a commuting bike to be honest.

Before I decided for the Rad I was ready to drop almost 5000€ for a R&M, but then our winter (here up north) could get nasty specially on such expensive bike. Perhaps just studded tyres would've been enough to make it winter proof, but the lack of local seller just dragged me out of that idea.

Now, do I need another ebike? No, do I want another ebike for the rest of the year? Yes. Even if I buy another Rad I would be under 5000€, and yes 2 bikes are better than one. So that's why I'm researching and playing with the DIY idea of another ebike. But yes Chinese vendors and the darkness within makes it a bit of head scratch. Not mention that my wife wouldn't be happy at all if I get a new bike, but hey I don't complaint about her shoes ;)

Not mention that my wife wouldn't be happy at all if I get a new bike

I hear you, a common problem indeed! But do let me know how you handle it when you buy it and your mrs realizes that neither ebike is legal! :)

I hear you, a common problem indeed! But do let me know how you handle it when you buy it and your mrs realizes that neither ebike is legal! :)

Legal? Is just a bike like any other, I really don't get what's the legality you are referring to, huh? ??

Re: second bike/DIY bike idea, what might help sell the plan would be what it might cost you. In that light, if you were to purchase a rack to fit the battery you have for the first bike (from RAD?), you could transfer the Rad battery to the bike you were planning on riding that day. This would save a pretty significant chunk of change AND prevent a battery that was just sitting there in the off season. Without figuring the purchase price of a battery as part of the deal, you should be able to put something pretty capable together pretty inexpensively!

The other thing, regarding what the OEM's/dealers are able to advertise as far as "legal" bikes for sale, when building your own, those "legal" restrictions are relaxed a bit, as proving what you have built is not legal might prove pretty difficult (unless they catch you speeding!). That bit of extra freedom should provide you with about any option you'd like to pursue - within reason of course! Accelerating with your front wheel in the air might draw some unwanted attension for example.... My thoughts anyway. -Al

@AHicks indeed that's a good idea, specially because the battery is perhaps the most delicate part of the puzzle, so having a compatible battery for 2 bikes seems an excellent idea. ?

Back