EU 25 k/mh to US 32 k/mh update?

mwilsonrr

Hello,

I am considering purchasing an e-bike while in Germany (Focus brand with Bosch Performance CX motor) on a trip. I thought it would be fun to use it while on the trip then bring it home with me.

I haven't been able to find out if it is possible for a US Focus dealer to update the firmware to the US Class 1 spec later. Or, whether it is possible for a US dealer to upgrade the firmware at all on a bike that was originally sold in Germany.

Any insights into this aspect of the e-bike are very much appreciated!

How were you proposing to get the ebike back to the US?
Airfreighting batteries bigger than 100Wh is problematic and expensive

How were you proposing to get the ebike back to the US?
Airfreighting batteries bigger than 100Wh is problematic and expensive

Thank you. I planned to work with the bike dealer but see that it will be an item to confirm before I make the decision.

I received a response from Bosch this afternoon stating the speed limit would be fixed at 25 km/h but that a US dealer would be able to apply firmware updates. I hope this information will be helpful to anyone else considering this path.

Here is a further update I received from Bosch (Germany):

The dealer can only update the bikes software, not the hardware, but more to the point, the US and EU drives are, due to regulations, physically different units with different licensing and different firmware chips. Only the Performance Line Speed is technically the same on both sides of the Atlantic, but there may still be some issues between US and EU certifications ...

It appears that the need to meet various government regulations results in strict measures being taken by the manufacturer.

Last edited:
Back