Error 21

ispeak3

Hey,

So for the past month or so my CCS has randomly stopped assisting me with power, and occasionally it will end up giving me an "error 21" on the screen. When I don't get the error, the display stays on and functions as normal (speedometer works, changing PAS level, etc...) It seems to happen at random, but always after a period of not pedaling (either from a stop or after coasting). I've contacted support and they've asked me to check on multiple things. First cleaning the sensor area, checking all of the connections and putting a strap around the battery. None of those have helped.

They said to send in the rear wheel for inspection, so I'll do that when things calm down.

I'm mostly posting this here to see if anyone else has experienced this and if there are any other tips. I'd love to fix/figure out the problem myself without much down time because this bike is my main mode of transportation. I'm curious whether it really is the motor or sensor.

Here is a video I got of it:

when the throttle is not working, as in the video, the PAS is also not working? How do you fix it? Just turn it on/off from the Controller? On/off from the battery? Or either? Always starts working again after 1 power cycle, or sometimes multiple are needed?

when the throttle is not working, as in the video, the PAS is also not working? How do you fix it? Just turn it on/off from the Controller? On/off from the battery? Or either? Always starts working again after 1 power cycle, or sometimes multiple are needed?

Right the PAS is not working either. Sometimes turning it off/on once works, but usually it takes multiple attempts. That day I got the video, was the worst because I about 3/4s the way to work and no matter how many times I turned it off/on, it wouldn't work again. So once I got to work I locked it as usual and checked it an hour or two later and it was working again.

Did Juiced happen to tell you what Error 21 actually meant?

From their website: https://support.juicedbikes.com/hc/...at-does-the-ERROR-XYZ-mean-on-the-LCD-display
It says it's a "sensor speed fault" and that's what Juiced seemed to think it was from the beginning. Although, for whatever reason they now think it's a motor issue. Maybe it's because of the sound from the video... I don't know.

Hello ispeak3,

First
of all I hope your Juiced Bikes CCS is not under warranty...
(Look for my post about the same problem as you are experiencing around this website)

Their solution: My CCS was under its early warranty period (around 4-months) when I started to experienced the same failure. After multiple emails and attempts (months) to solve the problem with the Juiced Bikes Staff, I realized that they were not going to honor their warranty unless I pay them for evaluation. That is NOT a New Bicycle Factory Warranty.
A lot of wasted time and effort to have gone through, when all I wanted was to ride my new CCS. I have experienced a few long pedal home rides without any assistance from the electric PAS mode like you have.

Second, your problem is a intermittent failing clutch located inside the hub motor. Ask me how I know...

If you send your motor/rear wheel assembly to Juiced Bikes for evaluation at your cost $150), they "should" sell you a complete wheel assembly. That will solve the problem. Understand that this will required you to purchase a shipping box (around $100) from Juiced Bikes before they will even look at your problem. This shipping box includes a prepaid shipping label. (Total experience: $250)

The complete wheel assembly at that time was around $350.00 (as I recall), and it was listed on their website as "Out of Stock".
Today, I just checked what the availability and cost of your wheel, and it is not listed any more. Most likely, you will have to deal with the same people I did to beg them to sell you the part. (Again, not very helpful)...

They refused to sell me the wheel assembly unless I went through the process to send in my wheel assembly.
Juiced Bikes would not even accept my wheel at their location, as they informed me that they would refused to accept my repair unless I paid for the shipping box.
So using the above Juiced Bikes solution/option would have cost me around $600.

What I did: After endless hours and months of frustration with the Juiced Bikes Staff, and also a broken CCS that I could not ride, I found the part and assistance here;

I called the owner David, and discussed my problem with him. He was very helpful in providing me with the service information to solve my problem.
I receive my clutch in less than a week!

So that's my story, and I fully understand what you are currently experiencing.

Tech Tip: I used an electric impact driver to open the hub motor (Phillips head bolts) without any issues. If your motor has the security Torx head style bolts, your repair should be even easier.

Please let me know if I can be of any more assistance for your issue...
Let know how you make out.

Motorteach

Last edited:
Hello ispeak3,

First
of all I hope your Juiced Bikes CCS is not under warranty...
(Look for my post about the same problem as you are experiencing around this website)

Their solution: My CCS was under its early warranty period (around 4-months) when I started to experienced the same failure. After multiple emails and attempts (months) to solve the problem with the Juiced Bikes Staff, I realized that they were not going to honor their warranty unless I pay them for evaluation. That is NOT a New Bicycle Factory Warranty.
A lot of wasted time and effort to have gone through, when all I wanted was to ride my new CCS. I have experienced a few long pedal home rides without any assistance from the electric PAS mode like you have.

Second, your problem is a intermittent failing clutch located inside the hub motor. Ask me how I know...

If you send your motor/rear wheel assembly to Juiced Bikes for evaluation at your cost $150), they "should" sell you a complete wheel assembly. That will solve the problem. Understand that this will required you to purchase a shipping box (around $100) from Juiced Bikes before they will even look at your problem. This shipping box includes a prepaid shipping label. (Total experience: $250)

The complete wheel assembly at that time was around $350.00 (as I recall), and it was listed on their website as "Out of Stock".
Today, I just checked what the availability and cost of your wheel, and it is not listed any more. Most likely, you will have to deal with the same people I did to beg them to sell you the part. (Again, not very helpful)...

They refused to sell me the wheel assembly unless I went through the process to send in my wheel assembly.
Juiced Bikes would not even accept my wheel at their location, as they informed me that they would refused to accept my repair unless I paid for the shipping box.
So using the above Juiced Bikes solution/option would have cost me around $600.

What I did: After endless hours and months of frustration with the Juiced Bikes Staff, and also a broken CCS that I could not ride, I found the part and assistance here;

I called the owner David, and discussed my problem with him. He was very helpful in providing me with the service information to solve my problem.
I receive my clutch in less than a week!

So that's my story, and I fully understand what you are currently experiencing.

Tech Tip: I used an electric impact driver to open the hub motor (Phillips head bolts) without any issues. If your motor has the security Torx head style bolts, your repair should be even easier.

Please let me know if I can be of any more assistance for your issue...
Let know how you make out.

Motorteach

Hey motorteach,

That sucks that Juiced didn't help you with your issue. After some back and forth, they decided that my wheel needed to be serviced. They offered to service it and ship it back free, so I just paid for shipping and the box which at the time was just $50. Haven't had any issues with it since.

I asked them what the issue was and they told me:
"the E-tech said the motor was cleaned out a bit and just needed to be lubricated with more white lithium-ion grease".

Thanks for trying to help out though, they should have done more in your situation.

Back