Enviolo Optimized gear correctly configured?

KingPivot

Hi, my wife just acquired a brand new Kalkhoff IMAGE 5.B BELT BLX model 2020 that has a manually operated Enviolo gear drive and Bosch performance motor. Having only experience with "classic" manual gears, like e.g. Shimano 8 and 7 speed, we were wondering if our enviolo has been configured properly. We notice that in the highest gear (so 8 for Shimano and the enviolo speed indicator entirely flat) the cadanz (or rotation of the pedals) is very high, in fact too high. With a normal Shimano gear we are accustomed to a fairly low cadanz with much resistance and therefore gaining higher speed when in highest gear. However, with the Enviolo it is quite challenging to reach a higher speed because of the low resistance and high cadanz. Is this just a matter of reconfiguring the enviolo hub (by retailer) or is something else going on? Personally I find it a bit odd that a brand new ebike is not configured properly when it leaves the factory. Thanks.

I have only tried an ebike wth Enviolo for a short test ride and have very limited knowledge about the gearing.
I think the Kaklhoff Image has manual Enviolo Trekking gear hub.
If so, there is a cable from the handlebar shift grip to the gear hub. Perhaps the cable tension (slack) is not correct?

Last edited:
Hi Pad, thanks, there are indeed cables running from the handlebar. I added some pictures of our ebike, is there a way to test the tension?

Attachments

• 47E07E06-0FC2-4D0A-ADC6-936B2040F7EF.jpeg
    47E07E06-0FC2-4D0A-ADC6-936B2040F7EF.jpeg
    171.9 KB · Views: 834
  • 05BFB3CA-2137-4F78-9484-DCED56FC9EF2.jpeg
    05BFB3CA-2137-4F78-9484-DCED56FC9EF2.jpeg
    323.8 KB · Views: 640
  • 69050C0F-45FB-4DD5-B678-4298ED6CEB81.jpeg
    69050C0F-45FB-4DD5-B678-4298ED6CEB81.jpeg
    212.5 KB · Views: 636
  • 9A84FFB1-7200-4FC2-88B1-F6786C0ED85B.jpeg
    9A84FFB1-7200-4FC2-88B1-F6786C0ED85B.jpeg
    228.5 KB · Views: 658
Hi Pad, thanks, there are indeed cables running from the handlebar. I added some pictures of our ebike, is there a way to test the tension?
Sorry but I don’t know how to set correct slack or tension..
I was just thinking cables could be part of the problem but maybe your thought about the hub being configured or set up is the problem.

we were wondering if our enviolo has been configured properly.

I have seen quite a few bikes improper Enviolo installation or shifter operation.
I tried a bunch of BULLS bikes and straight out of factory, all of them had very tight feel using that C8 shifter.
It can be reconfigured to operate smoothly and in your case, I have a hunch that it is something related to the way shifter cables are installed and low/high overdrive on Enviolo hub itself are adjusted. Show your retailer this video and ask him to re-calibrate the overdrive and cable tension/C8 twist shifter.

Last edited:
I have 2 chain drive n380’s. with the indicator flat, check if there is still travel to be had at the hub towards the high gear direction.

Hi all, thanks for all your suggestions. I think enough to assume that the hub and/or cables have not been configured properly. So today I dropped of the bike at the retailer with some suggestions. Keep you posted.

Hi all, the bike is back and flying! As some of you indicated the cables needed adjustment. So now we get real traction and much higher speeds, max around 26,7 Kmh as per regulations in the Netherlands, with a lower cadance. Thanks again for your suggestions.

Hi all, quick update. The issue is back again. Last week I borrowed my wife's ebike for a 18 km ride just to see how it is performing should I want to replace my sparte e-bike and I always like to push for the maximum supported speed of 26,5 km p/h. I measured the candence in the highest gear and all support setting (eco-sport), it was between 135 and 145 turns per minute. For me not a very comfortable cadence, I read about people who find 90 already too high. I suspect we are not getting the maximum overdrive and/or cables have been stretched over time. Will discuss this with my bike shop. So far the Kalkhoff bike is great, the belt drive as a system vs chain, I am not convinced about the nuvinci system yet.

Back