Electronic issues with latest models?

I was at a local bike shop yesterday, and was informed that they temporarily could not get the latest Evo models due to some sort of glitching during hill climbs that they are waiting for BH to address. Anybody heard anything about this?

@Crazy Lenny Ebikes

Hey Len or Rich,

Any info about or truth to this? (see first post)

BTW, I'm reporting my EVO Street is extremely sluggish trying to climb hills. Sport & Boost feel exactly the same on a hill (no discernible difference to me) and not so easy IMO. Throttle-only is very weak, even with a battery that has over 50% charge left. Maybe it's just me, but it sure doesn't match the "easy climb up hills" this motor is claimed to have. I have to pedal vigorously to make it up a 5% hill. On flats it seems to feel as one would expect and is zippy.

We have sold at least 35 EVO's so far and haven't had a complaint of this sort.
They have re-programmed the controller to extend the range but that doesn't affect the climbing ability.

@PowerMe , throttle-only is weak compared to PAS because the Amp output (continuous) is limited in throttle-only mode to avoid battery depletion.

Struggling to climb 5% grade! that's very hard to believe. Are you shifting properly?
If you start to climb from dead stop, you'll have to pedal hard on any bike. However, if you approach a hill at 15mph, it should be able to tackle fairly easily.

@Undercover Brother , have you heard of such a thing claimed in the first post here?

OK weak throttle-only is what I experience. As I said, it's fine on the flats. Actually I almost never use throttle-only because pedaling is my thing, I just wanted to try it to see how it would feel.

Climbing a 5% grade using throttle-only is what was difficult.

Less difficult climbing using PAS.

No, I'm not always approaching a hill at 15mph. Sometimes I'm at 10mph, sometimes 11 or 12, once in awhile I might only be at 9mph, and sometimes yes 15 mph or more. Varies. I haven't had to start from a dead stop though. I might be in too high a gear, that's possible. I do shift down several gears, but not allll the way down to the lowest of the low.

Last edited:
I just got my evo street bike a few days ago. I tried going up 2 different hill and I was unable to get up either one of them. The first hill I was in pedal assist, in a very low gear and could not get up it, my guess the grade is about 20 degree incline or more. Yes, I am out of shape, but still. The second hill, I tried throttle. The hill was not as steep, but very long. It really struggled and made it up about 3/4 of the way. Each time, it used up about 5% of the battery.
Also, I noticed that the bike seems kind of jerky. If I am in pedal assist the motor goes on and off. I tried an e- bike in Vancouver at a rental shop. The bike felt very different. It could be that it was a cadence sensor. If so, that was great going up hills in petal assist.

I too reported my EVO Street seems to struggle a bit going up a decent incline but I was told (on EBR) that can't be so because these 350 watt Dapu motors can whip someone up a 15+% grade at a very good clip as long as they are willing to pedal. Not even close to my experience. Yes, going up hills and (having to) use higher PAS modes or the Throttle uses up battery quickly. It's one reason I really want a larger Ah battery than the 11.6Ah the current model supplies.

As for the motor going on and off, that is true, it does. It takes a bit of practice and learning what gear is optimal for your style of riding and preferred cadence. When on the flats I tend to put my bike in a higher gear.

@Crazy Lenny Ebikes

Hey Len or Rich,

Any info about or truth to this? (see first post)

BTW, I'm reporting my EVO Street is extremely sluggish trying to climb hills. Sport & Boost feel exactly the same on a hill (no discernible difference to me) and not so easy IMO. Throttle-only is very weak, even with a battery that has over 50% charge left. Maybe it's just me, but it sure doesn't match the "easy climb up hills" this motor is claimed to have. I have to pedal vigorously to make it up a 5% hill. On flats it seems to feel as one would expect and is zippy.
Oh great! And I bought one.

Back