Electric Vehicles - some cool videos out there - this one may bring back some fond childhood memories for a few of you !

• Thread starter Deleted member 4210
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4210

Everyone hears about Tesla. But the Rivian RT pick up truck (and SUV) has been making a lot of headlines in the EV world. (For me personally, the cool factor and special functionalities of it, simply blows away anything Tesla has ever come up with. Its just sooooo refreshingly good looking too.)

This fan made video of the Rivian is pretty amusing. "Go Speed Racer !"

And heres a couple more about the Rivian, in case you are just a wee bit curious:

400+ mile ranges !
14,000 NM of torque at the wheels. (ebikes are 40 to 80 nm on average)

Last edited by a moderator:
Rivian is about 35 miles from me. They set up in the old Mitsubishi plant. Looked like a snake oil deal when they moved into that giant manufacturing plant, but now they have the backing.

Is such a well bult car ! I’ve seen it just earlier live @Ny Auto show . And it has a really good price for what it offers and the torque, range.
The only issue i see , is , that lots of people who could afford it , won’t necessarily use it to it’s fulll capability.
They may take an off rode ride once in a blue moon. I would rather rent one like this juat when i go for an excursion/adventure trip AND use my S- Pedelec in my day to day activity. I really do not need to pull a monster like this into traffic and create unnecessary time delays into my routine. The ebike solves this issue.

Just like the original it’s basically a beast. Not saying that in a bad way. I like the looks and design features of the Rivian, and it’s refreshing to see new firms come into the market place, especially when they resurrect an unused factory, re-purposed for the future of transportation. I would love to see some entity accomplish this with E-Bikes built in the US with a major factory, similar in size to all the RV factories in Indiana, and the 5 new ones being added as we speak. Pedegos CEO says it’s too expensive. But if the demand keeps trending up, and with all the shortages, someone may figure out how to do it with more robotics, and less human labor, and do so where they can compete.

if I were to conceptualize an E-Bike for that scenario, I’d do so trying to eliminate the components that are dominated by a few market bully firms, such as ditching Shimano, and its derailleurs, or cutting Back on parts like eliminating spokes, and going with mag alloy wheels, so no need for ever adjusting spokes. Build it as maintenance free as possible. The key for ev cars is they have far fewer parts than ICE cars so your supply chain can be considerably smaller, and can mitigate all kinds of risks. I’d build motors and battery packs here in us too. Motors In general are easy to make and many are still made in the US. There is no way it would have a complex mid drive, and likely would have two small motors one in each hub, with not only torque sensing but multiple speed and crank sensing to accomplish what Yamaha is doing. Could easily design it to be all wheel mode or single wheel mode, to enhance range or adapt to terrain and surface conditions. I’d make the motors the size of the lightweight hubs used on the Creo and Giants, at 250 watts each. Accomplish suspension via seat post and comfort tires and the saddle comfort. Instead of gears at the hub, you put gears only at the crank where the human input is. There are no gears on a Tesla. It’s super smooth Variable speed DC input. You could easily design it, so your phone is the only display needed, using a Bluetooth App. So no worry about the display breaking off, or someone stealing it off the E-Bike. And easily build in gps tracker, that again goes right to your phone to alert you if there is any movement. Heck have a camera come on, and audio and swear at the stupid thief who is effing with your property. For the battery packs I’d keep them super small, and very affordable and you carry spares in a rear carry pannier or trunk bag, and pop an extra in like you do now with electric power tools. You bring what you need depending on ride length. A gazillion power tool batteries are being produced now so scale and low cost is no issue. Why reinvent the form factor wheel with all these currently stupid designs like trying to squeeze them in a down tube or seat post ? These E-Bike OEMs just are not thinking. They are making builds and frame designs far more complex than they need to be. Very shallow innovation imho. This isn’t rocket science, and you don’t need a sci-fi look or build. Think practical and simple. Go outside the normal bike industry incestuous supply chain, where the usual Asian suppliers have you by the short hairs on numerous levels, and can repeatedly pimp you with all sorts of delays or excuses. We have no such Chinese holiday period here in US. That factory lull is absurd and a terrible thing to work around for every US E-Bike marketer. It’s the primary reason supply got so impacted by the virus early on, and put so many firms way behind on inventory this past season. We are all way too dependent upon Asia. Time to s*** or get off the pot quite frankly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rivians currently feature as backup vehicles in Ewan McGregor and Charley Boreman’s latest motorbike (also electric) roadtrip series - “Long way up”

Back