Electric Scooters vs. Full Sized Electric Bikes

Not sure if the post about the wheels was directed at the M5. I honestly couldn't tell whether its the wheels or the shocks as I've never ridden an M3 to compare. But they work. Ecoreco does make a bag which is really easy to get the scooter into and out of. I just wish it wore more like a backpack than a messenger bag*: (see second product listed.)
http://ecorecoscooter.com/product-category/accessories/

*it does say it can be worn as a backpack, but as ashamed as I am to say it, I couldn't figure out how to wear this comfortably as one, at least during today's hectic morning commute and rush out of the office home. They don't have a picture or instructions for how the "backpack" should be worn.

First Day use impressions:

This sccoter is a dream to ride in the city. The only drawback is that 35lb is a bit hefty; not sure how this will play out long term. The carry case does make it easier to carry around, but as stated above, backpack carrier would be better.. I did not do the first full charge today it since the instructions, placed on the charging port of the scooter (very clever), state to discharge until the scooter auto shuts down for the first two uses.

In the morning commute, I saw another ecoreco user with the M5 and caught up with him at a light. Turns out he's been using it for 6 months. He reported only one slight problem due to not tightening the handle screw enough. I actually rode a few blocks not having activated the lock lever for the handle in the upright position; thankfully nothing happened. He sped off and I was unable to keep up since I'm not yet comfortable riding this at top speed. It is fast, and rides very smoothly.

With the 50% factory charge, I was able to go 6.5 miles and there's still some juice left. This wasn't at full power and full throttle, but I do believe now that their 15 mile range is probably reasonable. Can't comment yet on a 20 mile range.

I'll comment again after the first full charge and full discharge.

-J
Ecoreco Discount Code*: NJfVYC
*(Gets you $50 off a scooter, and gives me some credit towards a future purchase ;) )
Ecoreco Free Shipping Code: EVSCOOTER

Not sure if the post about the wheels was directed at the M5. I honestly couldn't tell whether its the wheels or the shocks as I've never ridden an M3 to compare. But they work. Ecoreco does make a bag which is really easy to get the scooter into and out of. I just wish it wore more like a backpack than a messenger bag*: (see second product listed.)
http://ecorecoscooter.com/product-category/accessories/

*it does say it can be worn as a backpack, but as ashamed as I am to say it, I couldn't figure out how to wear this comfortably as one, at least during today's hectic morning commute and rush out of the office home. They don't have a picture or instructions for how the "backpack" should be worn.

First Day use impressions:

This sccoter is a dream to ride in the city. The only drawback is that 35lb is a bit hefty; not sure how this will play out long term. The carry case does make it easier to carry around, but as stated above, backpack carrier would be better.. I did not do the first full charge today it since the instructions, placed on the charging port of the scooter (very clever), state to discharge until the scooter auto shuts down for the first two uses.

In the morning commute, I saw another ecoreco user with the M5 and caught up with him at a light. Turns out he's been using it for 6 months. He reported only one slight problem due to not tightening the handle screw enough. I actually rode a few blocks not having activated the lock lever for the handle in the upright position; thankfully nothing happened. He sped off and I was unable to keep up since I'm not yet comfortable riding this at top speed. It is fast, and rides very smoothly.

With the 50% factory charge, I was able to go 6.5 miles and there's still some juice left. This wasn't at full power and full throttle, but I do believe now that their 15 mile range is probably reasonable. Can't comment yet on a 20 mile range.

I'll comment again after the first full charge and full discharge.

-J
Ecoreco Discount Code*: NJfVYC
*(Gets you $50 off a scooter, and gives me some credit towards a future purchase ;) )
Ecoreco Free Shipping Code: EVSCOOTER
I am curious whether one system has a better suspension, or not. Hard to imagine how tire size compensates for springs. I suppose most scooter riders avoid speed bumps. A speed bump might be a good test.

As far as carrying is concerned, investing in a high quality pack is worthwhile. Have you tried REI or MountainSmith? A folding scooter strikes me as being similar to carrying a bow and arrow. Some special arrow backpacks have cylinder containers.

I could image stuffing the scooter into a cylinder. If the cylinder had several strategically placed straps, the perceived weight might only feel like 10-15 pounds on your back. I would imagine the best straps locations would be at the hips, chest and shoulders.

35 pounds is significant weight. I often carry that amount. I distribute the weight between a fanny and backpack. The dense weight goes into the fanny pack. I hardly feel the weight, even though I carry it 2 miles up a 10% average grade.

Something like http://mountainsmith.com/index.php/cooler-tube.html and http://mountainsmith.com/index.php/products/strapettes.html

Last edited:
Thanks for the ideas Mike. The carry bag is pretty nice and fits the M5 very well, so I am hoping it'll work out long term. But I will definitely try your suggestions if this turns out otherwise.

After writing the post, I tried to wear the carry bag like a backpack. But the thread lacing on the strap I lifted up to my shoulder tore! I'm hoping this is a fluke, since I'm sure many other eco users have used these bags in the past. So I've written them and asked for a replacement, as well as follow up on my discount code which has yet to be credited.

I'll keep this thread updated with the responses I get from their customer service.

Thanks for the ideas Mike. The carry bag is pretty nice and fits the M5 very well, so I am hoping it'll work out long term. But I will definitely try your suggestions if this turns out otherwise.

After writing the post, I tried to wear the carry bag like a backpack. But the thread lacing on the strap I lifted up to my shoulder tore! I'm hoping this is a fluke, since I'm sure many other eco users have used these bags in the past. So I've written them and asked for a replacement, as well as follow up on my discount code which has yet to be credited.

I'll keep this thread updated with the responses I get from their customer service.

35 pounds is very heavy for a pack. It is literally the weight of two bowling balls. I regularly weigh my fanny pack on the grocery store checkout scale. The clerks and I play a guessing game. I generally carry 10-15 pounds, which is like carrying a bowling ball!

They need to provide a rugged system. My guess is four inch webbing, at a minimum. Not sure how the pack is sewn/made. I seriously doubt you can sling 35 pounds over your shoulder in a reliable and comfortable manner, without hip and chest straps.

Hey guys, as you know I'm a huge fan of electric bikes. The efficiency, light weight and utility are wonderful for carrying rider + cargo over long distances for very little money and with a limited environmental impact.

I don't focus much on electric scooters but recently had the chance to try out the EcoReco M3 which resembles a Razor scooter + electric motor. This thing is almost as powerful (and fast) as a full sized ebike but it's a bit lighter and much more compact. The idea is that it will be easier to fold up and carry onto a bus, train, light rail, subway etc. providing versatility for commuters. You could even take this thing right up to your office or into class etc. versus locking up a full sized ebike.

I think e-scooters definitely have their place and I like the professionalism of this model in particular. I saw it being funded on Kickstarter and was contacted by Jay, the founder, who offered to send a unit out for review. I haven't tried many of the Currie scooters but I did try the Lyric Ranger recently which is larger and had a seat. Seems like the ranger is designed to be a Segway alternative. Here's some footage of a speed test I did with the EcoReco M3. I was impressed that it could actually top 20mph!

Just below I've listed some of the pro's and con's encountered with scooters vs. ebikes and also some of the benefits specific to the EcoReco M3. Aside from the scooter itself I really love how sustainably minded the EcoReco company is - the grips are recycled rubber, they used LiFePO4 chemistry for the battery which is more efficient to produce and they also used recycled paper and cardboard all around on packaging.

Scooter Pro's:
  • Folds, very compact
  • Light weight, easier to lift
  • Portable, don't have to lock it up if you bring it inside
  • Affordable, the M3 is $999
  • Approachable, most people can ride a scooter
  • Less maintenance, no tubes in tires, no gears or derailleurs
Scooter Con's:
  • Limited storage, no racks
  • Less stable at high speed, most scooters are limited to 15mph, the M3 can reach 20mph
  • Less forgiving on bumps, smaller wheels, the M3 has a small shock in the front
  • Tiring to ride over long distances, you have to stand...
  • No lights, have to add them to your backpack or helmet
  • Can't go off road, wheels are just too small
Feel free to add your own thoughts here. I wanted to help promote the M3 and provide a space for discussing other scooters since EBR is really about electric bicycles. This post was not sponsored or paid, I just admire the EcoReco guys and wanted to help their cause. The full video review with unboxing is posted just below :)

For more on the M3 check out their official website at http://ecorecoscooter.com/ and the Kickstarter campaign at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1107065803/ecoreco-m3-state-of-the-art-last-mile-electric-veh The specs are: 250 watt motor with 750 peak output, 36 volt 8 amp hour 288 watt hour LiFePO4 battery (not easily removable), 34 pounds (15.4 kilograms), 22 miles/hr (35.4 km/hr) top speed, 15 to 23 mile (24.1 to 37 kilometer) range, 85% charge at 2.5 hours or 100% charge at 4.5 hours, priced at $999.

If you or someone you know near Fort Collins Colorado is interested in this kind of thing at a discount I'm selling the demo unit EcoReco sent to me (all money goes back to them). This saves on shipping etc. and is how I sometimes handle reviews where the company sends a unit vs. visiting the factory or a shop.
I own a Goped Esr-750h lipo 32amp hour. I am very sad that goped is going into bankrupt because of a bad court ruling. My opinion is that electric bikes are well worth it. I have the best scooter on the market, but it can't do nearly as much as some of these electric bikes. If you have any questions on my goped, feel free to ask

Update: My M5 has over 1000 miles and still going strong. I did have to send it back to the company a few months back when something shorted due to moisture. The company repaired it for free and sent it back to me. However, when I was without the M5, I wasn't a happy camper...

This past week I received the ecoreco XS model (did the indegogo back in Jan). The XS is their budget model. First impressions out of the box was that it was very sleek with all the carbon fiber, really big and bright front LED light bar, and very very light compared to the M5. The throttle and breaks were also the updated paddle type vs the grip on the m5. So much slicker cosmetically than the M5. Unfortunately, having the M5 ride experience, the XS is definitely NOT a replacement.

The XS lets you choose between 3 separate ride levels, limiters. On the highest, level 3, the fastest I could go was about 11 mph - seemed like 8-9 was average. Very slow compared to the speed of the M5 where I am zipping by bicycles sometimes. Also, on my daily commute where I go 2 miles each way, the battery meter kept dipping to one bar on my way back. It would recover to 2 bar when I let go of the accelerator, but looks like 4-5 miles on level 3 is about its limit (which is what is represent by ecoreco anyway).

I ordered this as part of the indigogo kickstarter type thing back in Jan. The XS is still listed as not available on the ecoreco website, and the s/n is a very neat round number, so I'm thinking my XS might be one of the first to ship. But in any event, if ecoreco had upped the battery pack on this and upp'd the speed to 15 mph, this would be an M5 replacement (which is probably why they didn't). There's an petite older lady in my building who wanted to try out my M5 - I've been alittle hesitant due to its weight and speed. The XS is something I'd definitely recommend to her since its much lighter. Would also be good for older kids who might lose control using an M5.

FYI, the charge on mine shipped without the wall plug. But I noticed that the charger they ultimately used is different from the one pictured on their online manual. It doesn't need to be oriented to plug in, as it like a laptop plug. The online manual also doesn't explain anything about the ride levels, and has some other problems that probably relate to features that were dropped in the final product.

When I registered my XS with ecoreco, they provided a discount code (4m8pks). I know the M5 discount code (NJfVCY) gave $50 off any one who uses it, but I don't know what sort of discount one would get with an XS discount which is much cheaper ($400 vs originally $1200 for the M5, now their equivalent models are in the $800-$900 range). But every little bit helps, right?

Some photos.
53073460486__FEDC0B7F-EE06-467B-B950-F1D96138456B.JPG
IMG_0846.JPG
IMG_0847.JPG
IMG_0848.JPG

I have recently noticed the Genze 2.o electric scooter gaining a following although the scooter is illegal to operate without a license in NYC. I have had a chance to ride Genze's electric bicycle and was not impressed. The scooter on the other hand looks to be a quality product.

I have recently noticed the Genze 2.o electric scooter gaining a following although the scooter is illegal to operate without a license in NYC. I have had a chance to ride Genze's electric bicycle and was not impressed. The scooter on the other hand looks to be a quality product.

You can't ride it on rail trails and not for streets with 30 mph or more speed limits. I bet it's no fun getting it up to an apartment either. That makes for a limited number of places to ride it.

Back