Electric Air Pumps 2024

I almost got the mini Fumpa. There are 3 sizes...

I carry little bottles of Stans with me. I've rescued strangers as well as myself when I didn't top up soon enough. I have 2 on me at all times on the ebike (along with hopefully topped-up Stans in the tires). Also use Orange Seal from time to time - both great sealants.
I found this Peatys its like Stans with upgrades it has glitter ij it for larger punters and it can handle c02 and takes longer to dry out. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B4WS1CNJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I use stans bottles to carry it 😅

Since going tubeless I've been extremely lucky, no flats.
I run regular Stan's and carry a Stan's Dart system, spare sealant, and some bacon strips.
Bacon strips? I would think a side or slab might be cheaper over the long run. ;)I carry a dynaplugger but haven’t needed it yet and hope I won't have to.

I also carry a small bottle of Stans on the trail and haven’t had a puncture yet. What is your preferred method for prepping tires for sealant? Do you set the bead first then add sealant through the valve OR just add sealant in an opening in the tire and follow up sealing the bead? I always like setting the bead first then injecting sealant through the valve. I’ve had a few incidents where the bead doesn’t play nice and I end up with a mess.

Bacon strips? I would think a side or slab might be cheaper over the long run. ;)I carry a dynaplugger but haven’t needed it yet and hope I won't have to.

I also carry a small bottle of Stans on the trail and haven’t had a puncture yet. What is your preferred method for prepping tires for sealant? Do you set the bead first then add sealant through the valve OR just add sealant in an opening in the tire and follow up sealing the bead? I always like setting the bead first then injecting sealant through the valve. I’ve had a few incidents where the bead doesn’t play nice and I end up with a mess.
So far I have been taking my bike in for yearly check ups and sealant replacement. That leaves me with a couple of "top ups" with small bottles of Stan's regular in each tire through the valve.

Now that I had a chance to use the LiltsDRae/Amorno a couple of times, (https://a.co/d/iSAD3Ek) I'll offer a quick review:

The screw thread to Shraeder valve connection actually works well, but not quite as quick or convenient as the clamp kind. On the other hand, I did not notice any loss of air either attaching or detaching the nozzle as I usually experience with the clamp-on style. (My friend, Lisa, did though. I then noticed she was detaching the hose from the pump itself before removing the hose from the tire. Evidently, this is a common mistake judging by a few negative Amazon reviewer comments griping about air loss). The enclosed hose is 6 inches long which is long enough, but just barely. I still had to get on my knees or sit on my ass to attach and detach from the tire valves.

While milli-amp hour conversion to practical usage is beyond my scope of electronics knowledge, the 4000mAh battery capacity was sufficient to top off 4 50psi tires (her tires needed quite a bit) and barely make a dent in the remaining charge time. I do not see battery capacity as a problem going forward, but I noticed a number of these chargers that are priced the same or less also offer car charger cords. The two I'm reviewing, which appear to be identical with different branding, do not.

The LCD display is fine as long as you're not standing in direct sunlight. In that case, it's damn near impossible to read. I had to go back inside to set the parameters I wanted. With that said, I find the operational buttons and display much more intuitive to use and easier to read than my previous Cycplus brand pump. The Chinglish manual is pure gibberish but I really did not need it to figure this thing out. There are 4 preset device modes with adjustable PSI levels (or other units if you prefer). It's only important to select the right preset as it might restrict your PSI limit. Lisa originally had hers mistakenly set to "sports ball" and was frustrated by the 15 PSI limitation. The bike preset, on the other hand, supports an adjustment up to 150 PSI.

I like the cylindrical shape which also fits neatly into some water holders. (I'll probably keep mine in a saddle bag anyway). I did have a slight misadventure with it though. I placed it on the ground while I went to reset the trip meter on my bike. I didn't notice the pump rolling about 25 feet. We spent a good 20 minutes looking for it. I thought I had entered the Twilight Zone. Finally, Lisa spotted it underneath my car. The takeaway? Beware of rolling portable electric air pumps.

Overall, despite a few minor quibbles, big thumbs up for these things or ones like it. I consider these a great bang-for-buck purchase. I can't speak to car tire capability, but that's not why I purchased them. To paraphrase the old Amex commercial, I wouldn't leave home without it.

Please feel free to chime in with suggestions or thoughts about these gadgets. Admittedly, I do not know much beyond what I wrote above.
I have been there and done that with regard to portable pumps with internal li-ion batteries. My advice is DO NOT DO IT.

They seem great, and they are... for a while. But reality is going to set in a couple of years down the road when you realize that a) you have to keep that battery pack charged up (and will need to top it up every month or two at the least). Then, after a year or so the chickens come home to roost. We all know that li ion packs are good for 800 cycles or so, right? Common knowledge, and that 800 cycles is more of an ideal than it is a normal value. Charging to 100% and letting the pack sit there is going to drag you down to like 400 or less.

So why would we think a li ion battery inside of a pump will be any different? Its not. That $30-$50 pump's internal battery will be all done in a year or so depending on how religious you are about keeping it charged up (i.e. useful).

In 2020 I wrote this article about using a battery powered pump, where the battery was the ebike battery itself. I had already been using them for about a year.

Then I found the self-contained pumps like you're describing, and after some testing and finding a couple that had really big battery capacity, I tried them, loved them and eventually went all in and bought I think like 4 of them for my various bikes (I keep a complete tool set on each bike so I never forget something mission critical on a ride). In 2022 I wrote about their use here, in detail.

And as the note in that article says, I learned the hard way they don't last. I have gone back to the original pumps I described in 2020. In fact, I just bought another one and found a better way to connect a proper XT60 plug to it that I have to write up (involves using a stripped pigtail and shoegoo to permanently attach said pigtail into the China-specific plug the pumps come with). The pumps in 2024 are identical to the ones I was buying in 2020 except now they are 48v-72v compatible instead of just 48v.

And they will never run out of gas.

I have been there and done that with regard to portable pumps with internal li-ion batteries. My advice is DO NOT DO IT.

And they will never run out of gas.
I used the one I lost for two years and always assumed they had a limited shelf life, even if I didn't lose it in a bone-headed way. I've gone through a few Sonicare toothbrushes with the same expectation: They drop dead after a few years. I'm not wealthy, and don't like to burn money, but I don't consider $20-$40 a big investment if I get a few years of practical use from it. Admittedly, that is a little short sighted.

I hear what you're saying though, and for the long haul, your advice makes sense.

Last edited:
I hear what you're saying though, and for the long haul, your advice makes sense.
I bought four of those self-contained pumps over the span of a few months. One is just flat out dead. Another has a severely reduced capacity such that its barely able to inflate a single tire. The other two, since I know I can't trust them any more, I use them at home only, which is of course a waste. Just counting the dead ones, I blew $80 in the 18 months (I checked and thats how long it took) they lasted.

Those ebike-battery-powered pumps run $25 to $30. And since 2020 I've never had one fail. So... live and learn I guess :)

EDIT: @DaveMatthews I'd be curious to hear how the Fumpa pumps fare over time. I think you've had yours for quite a while. Curious to know if the extra money they cost buys some longevity.

I bought four of those self-contained pumps over the span of a few months. One is just flat out dead. Another has a severely reduced capacity such that its barely able to inflate a single tire. The other two, since I know I can't trust them any more, I use them at home only, which is of course a waste. Just counting the dead ones, I blew $80 in the 18 months (I checked and thats how long it took) they lasted.

Those ebike-battery-powered pumps run $25 to $30. And since 2020 I've never had one fail. So... live and learn I guess :)

EDIT: @DaveMatthews I'd be curious to hear how the Fumpa pumps fare over time. I think you've had yours for quite a while. Curious to know if the extra money they cost buys some longevity.
I guess we'll see. My primary use case originally was merely to have quick/easy access to air in case of emergency. I do use it once or twice a month to top up the tires and "exercise" the battery. So far it has held up well.
I knew it would have some kind of shelf life when I got it, and I suppose that is the trade for convenience, size, and portability.

Also, the $25 - $30 battery pumps should be generally viewed like cheap ebike battery packs. Some of them will be crap cells. Some will be OK.
As per usual, you get what you pay for.
That said I am sure that there are some good/great deals out there. Also I expect that manufacturing in Australia is a lot more expensive than in Asia.

Back