eJoe 2017 Epik SE New Owner, Complete review on gear, modifications also

Dripdry

I looked high and low for updated info on the 2017 eJoe Epik SE. eJoe's site is near-useless (what gives with that?), so I want somewhere to document what I've heard and experienced, and for updated discussion as needed.

I got the bike for commuting up to 5 miles each way and everyday errands. I'm 6'2" and 175lbs (fit), and no other folding eBikes appeared sufficient for my height, other than the Pedego Latch (which I was told is massively over-priced and has parts-supply issues) and the new (and dizzyingly expensive) $3400 Tern Vektron (coming out next year). The Tern is also heavier by ten lbs and harder to work on, with a mid-drive motor; I can't imagine having a folding eBike that weighs more than the eJoe's ~45lbs.

First, the bike seems quite good. 2017 changes: more powerful battery (12A) and a charging port *on the side of the bike* instead of the bottom. I'm happy with it and recommend it so far. Currently, I'd recommend this bike to someone who is willing to spend the $$ on upkeep of a bike and upgrading a couple key components, especially if they'll be using this bike as more than just a "last mile" method of transport.

Bike arrived from an online retailer through Amazon; i bought through them to get an extra 3% back on the purchase, thinking this would be a smart fiscal move. NOTE: It wasn't. I should have ordered the bike through a bike shop and have them put it together; to the untrained eye the bike was fine, but when I took it to a shop they pointed out some important issues and ended up charging me a fair amount of money to tweak and tune it. Takeaway: although an eBike may seem expensive, don't cut corners. If you get an eJoe, have it assembled at a bike shop. They may also throw in a better rack, better tires, and maybe other goodies.

I've had the bike about 2 weeks. I like the seat/handlebar adjustability for my height and the power of the 12A battery. I immediately noticed that my pedaling was overpowered by the pedal assist. I'd read here that one could replace the freewheel; I recommend this and so did the eBike shop I went to. Hey eJoe: Why not do this for all your bikes?

Suggestions by the bike shop: They said they sell a fair number of eJoes, but seemed like purists so take the following with a grain of salt.
First, they made great suggestions about taking care of the bike, a LOT of suggestions about checking your bike and cables once a week, and other maintenance. They had a handout which eJoe might do well to include in their user manual!

1) They suggested updating the freewheel, which they do as a matter of course when they get a new Epik into their shop. Will update with what type exactly.

2) Holy heavens, make sure that the fork is tightened down appropriately! They took a look at it and said that it was looser than it should be and could be dangerous. It did feel slightly loose.

3) The bike shop suggested replacing all the bolts on the bike asap with USA-made bolts. Their take was that the parts are made in China (battery is made in San Diego, though, and is quality) and higher-quality bolts will be a good step toward reliability.
A hole for the rack mount in the back of mine was mis-drilled. I don't feel like shipping the bike back to eJoe, so I drilled it smooth.

4) Use the plastic derailleur til it breaks, it's pretty cheaply made. Replace it with a higher-quality one, and consider buying one and having it ready to install.

5) Replace the disc brakes with either higher-quality pads or rim hydraulic brakes. The Epik's stock disc brakes may wear down very quickly. They recommended hydraulic rim brakes, which can be had for a $100-200.
Maintenance: check and adjust your brakes regularly, since eBikes often wear down brakes faster than regular bikes.
Buy: a long Hex Key for tightening brake pads down as they wear.

Helmet: After reading around, it sounded like getting a visor (not just glasses/goggles) for riding made sense. I got a Bell Annex that already has a visor. Plus, it fits people who have glasses.

Tires: I've read that Schwalbe Marathons would be good, and after seeing what they look like I'd probably agree. I hear Kenda Small Block 8s work well too, but are more like mountain bike tires so will net you less distance from 1 battery charge.

Rack: Spent WAY too much time researching this. In short: an Axiom adjustable Journey rack (not the regular one) at its highest setting should work fine if you want panniers AND are willing to attach the rack by replacing the quick-release collar on your seat with one having rack mounts. I'm currently looking for a quick-release collar that will also accommodate a rack mount; I'm sure they must exist. I read somewhere that panniers on a folding bike is a problem looking for a solution (to use a trunk instead) but I'd like to use both. I'll post which panniers I get that avoid heel-strike.

Stock Lights: A cycling friend commented they look really good and are bright. If you're switching out the rear rack, be prepared to find a different way to mount the rear tail light, especially on the axiom Journey. I haven't solved this one yet, but will update when I do.

Overall: I'm sure there are errors/oversights here, as I'm new to cycling, but I wanted to at least get my experience out there. Talking to local bike shops I just don't understand... they say that people aren't buying eBikes very much here and don't even know what a folder is. I live in a high-crime city that's hilly. Crime: get a folder so you can take it indoors. Hilly? get an eBike. It seems like a perfect solution, so this is my attempt to help anyone else looking to make the switch and save them the countless hours I spent making calls and searching google for eBike info.

I'm curious why eJoe doesn't have regular updates/news on their website. I had to be told by a bike shop about the 2017 model upgrades, which seems stupid. eJoe, wanna sell more bikes? Update your online shop and info on your own products!

A lot of websites have incomplete or no details. I'm a heavy online researcher who just purchased a surface604 rook thru a retailer.

Surface604 has had two weeks and two phone calls in with one question and have yet to get back to me.

Luckily my dealer is able to return emails :)

I looked high and low for updated info on the 2017 eJoe Epik SE. eJoe's site is near-useless (what gives with that?), so I want somewhere to document what I've heard and experienced, and for updated discussion as needed.

I got the bike for commuting up to 5 miles each way and everyday errands. I'm 6'2" and 175lbs (fit), and no other folding eBikes appeared sufficient for my height, other than the Pedego Latch (which I was told is massively over-priced and has parts-supply issues) and the new (and dizzyingly expensive) $3400 Tern Vektron (coming out next year). The Tern is also heavier by ten lbs and harder to work on, with a mid-drive motor; I can't imagine having a folding eBike that weighs more than the eJoe's ~45lbs.

First, the bike seems quite good. 2017 changes: more powerful battery (12A) and a charging port *on the side of the bike* instead of the bottom. I'm happy with it and recommend it so far. Currently, I'd recommend this bike to someone who is willing to spend the $$ on upkeep of a bike and upgrading a couple key components, especially if they'll be using this bike as more than just a "last mile" method of transport.

Bike arrived from an online retailer through Amazon; i bought through them to get an extra 3% back on the purchase, thinking this would be a smart fiscal move. NOTE: It wasn't. I should have ordered the bike through a bike shop and have them put it together; to the untrained eye the bike was fine, but when I took it to a shop they pointed out some important issues and ended up charging me a fair amount of money to tweak and tune it. Takeaway: although an eBike may seem expensive, don't cut corners. If you get an eJoe, have it assembled at a bike shop. They may also throw in a better rack, better tires, and maybe other goodies.

I've had the bike about 2 weeks. I like the seat/handlebar adjustability for my height and the power of the 12A battery. I immediately noticed that my pedaling was overpowered by the pedal assist. I'd read here that one could replace the freewheel; I recommend this and so did the eBike shop I went to. Hey eJoe: Why not do this for all your bikes?

Suggestions by the bike shop: They said they sell a fair number of eJoes, but seemed like purists so take the following with a grain of salt.
First, they made great suggestions about taking care of the bike, a LOT of suggestions about checking your bike and cables once a week, and other maintenance. They had a handout which eJoe might do well to include in their user manual!

1) They suggested updating the freewheel, which they do as a matter of course when they get a new Epik into their shop. Will update with what type exactly.

2) Holy heavens, make sure that the fork is tightened down appropriately! They took a look at it and said that it was looser than it should be and could be dangerous. It did feel slightly loose.

3) The bike shop suggested replacing all the bolts on the bike asap with USA-made bolts. Their take was that the parts are made in China (battery is made in San Diego, though, and is quality) and higher-quality bolts will be a good step toward reliability.
A hole for the rack mount in the back of mine was mis-drilled. I don't feel like shipping the bike back to eJoe, so I drilled it smooth.

4) Use the plastic derailleur til it breaks, it's pretty cheaply made. Replace it with a higher-quality one, and consider buying one and having it ready to install.

5) Replace the disc brakes with either higher-quality pads or rim hydraulic brakes. The Epik's stock disc brakes may wear down very quickly. They recommended hydraulic rim brakes, which can be had for a $100-200.
Maintenance: check and adjust your brakes regularly, since eBikes often wear down brakes faster than regular bikes.
Buy: a long Hex Key for tightening brake pads down as they wear.

Helmet: After reading around, it sounded like getting a visor (not just glasses/goggles) for riding made sense. I got a Bell Annex that already has a visor. Plus, it fits people who have glasses.

Tires: I've read that Schwalbe Marathons would be good, and after seeing what they look like I'd probably agree. I hear Kenda Small Block 8s work well too, but are more like mountain bike tires so will net you less distance from 1 battery charge.

Rack: Spent WAY too much time researching this. In short: an Axiom adjustable Journey rack (not the regular one) at its highest setting should work fine if you want panniers AND are willing to attach the rack by replacing the quick-release collar on your seat with one having rack mounts. I'm currently looking for a quick-release collar that will also accommodate a rack mount; I'm sure they must exist. I read somewhere that panniers on a folding bike is a problem looking for a solution (to use a trunk instead) but I'd like to use both. I'll post which panniers I get that avoid heel-strike.

Stock Lights: A cycling friend commented they look really good and are bright. If you're switching out the rear rack, be prepared to find a different way to mount the rear tail light, especially on the axiom Journey. I haven't solved this one yet, but will update when I do.

Overall: I'm sure there are errors/oversights here, as I'm new to cycling, but I wanted to at least get my experience out there. Talking to local bike shops I just don't understand... they say that people aren't buying eBikes very much here and don't even know what a folder is. I live in a high-crime city that's hilly. Crime: get a folder so you can take it indoors. Hilly? get an eBike. It seems like a perfect solution, so this is my attempt to help anyone else looking to make the switch and save them the countless hours I spent making calls and searching google for eBike info.

I'm curious why eJoe doesn't have regular updates/news on their website. I had to be told by a bike shop about the 2017 model upgrades, which seems stupid. eJoe, wanna sell more bikes? Update your online shop and info on your own products!

Hey there, Dripdry!

I'm curious; how are you liking the Epic SE now that's it's almost been a year out?

We just Purchased two Ejoe Epik SE 2018 and so far we like them, but this is the first electric bikes that we have owned.

Back