Ecotric 20" fat tire folder ( dolphin step through)

GypsyTreker

So my wife's Dolphin quit working 2 days ago. It has all the symptoms of a brake sensor failure ( everything lights up on PAS controller (A10) but nothing works, throttle, pas, walk mode). I notified Ecotric by email, looked at the YouTube and disconnected my brake sensors at the controller. I got a about a 30 sec "spin" in the walk mode, then nothing. Good news, I suspect the motor is fine. I post this for any ideas someone might have and to also post how the customer service goes @ Ecotric. So far I have been pleased although it was the standard 18-24hr response, no biggie. The bike is about 14 months new and around 650 to 700 miles. I base that on my odometer on my Ecotric 26" fattie that is 740 and I have ridden without my wife a few times.

I don't expect anything free from Ecotric, just timely help and parts shipped quickly.

Naturally my wife is frustrated but I knew going in on an direct to consumer online purchase ment we had to be our own service. At the same time I don't want the guy who put together an LC for a container of eBikes and a domain name.

So I will keep people posted :)

Ok quick update,if anyone is reading this. Sandy @ Ecotric has spent time today helping me sort out our Dolphin. We are pretty sure we narrowed it down. I am not surprised that Ecotric and Sandy replied and worked with me on this. For those looking for sub $1000 folders....I say Ecotric will be a good choice. My neighbors purchased 2 about 2 weeks ago and had them within 5 days.

Fact is, if the company refused to get involved the quick fix would be an entire parts replacement from the motor plug forward ($110). That's for an upgrade display unit.

I'm very pleased they seem to care about their customer

Glad to hear it! Just joined this board today. Fiance' & I just ordered new e-bikes that will be arriving soon, so I wanted to join this board. We got the Ecotric 20" wheel folding fat bikes & 1 of them is the Dolphin. The other is the other 20" folding fat tire type that has no specific name (for some reason). I already had to email them about something minor w/ shipping & was quite suprised to see than someone still replied back quickly AFTER 10PM, so it appears like they will reply in a very timely manner & treat customers right...I hope!

In my quest for the right easy to mount folder,I tried a "Dolphin" for the money it seemed a good buy,I didn't like the display though. A friend ended up with it and has run the daylights out of it and said it really grew on Him and it is sure not babied.

Yes, we ended up returning our Ecotrics (Dolphin & another fat tire model). We since got a pair of the make Motiv in the model Stash.

Yes, we ended up returning our Ecotrics (Dolphin & another fat tire model). We since got a pair of the make Motiv in the model Stash.
At least you could return them, some of these vendors do not seem to give you that option.
Checked out the "Motiv" -"Stash" model, very nice looking, what did you like about them?

Last edited:
At least you could return them, some of these vendors do not seem to give you that option.
Checked out the "Motiv" -"Stash" model, very nice looking, what did you like about them?

Thanks! Fiance' & I like the Motiv "Stash" because we like the modern look, the minimum seat height went down low enough for my 5'3" height, the colors they came in, lighter in weight, the battery is hidden in the frame, & as much as we liked the fat tire look, we had to get regular wheels because fiance's the one who lifts both bikes in/out of the car & his back isn't the best. The wheels are a bit thicker though than some other regular tires which we like. You also don't need to keep the key in to ride them. The only CON was I wish they were cheaper, like $1K or less.
Ecotric's return went quite smoothly for me w/ no hassle. I had ordered them online.

I had both of the "Ecotric" models you all had and was quite pleased with them( I actually liked the 48 volt better than the xp) And I have to agree those Motiv's were in a word "stylish". and the colors"Fab".

I had both of the "Ecotric" models you all had and was quite pleased with them( I actually liked the 48 volt better than the xp) And I have to agree those Motiv's were in a word "stylish". and the colors"Fab".

Ecotric is of good quality, just a littl too big-framed, bulky, & cumbersome for us. I'm 5'3" & fiance's 5'7". We loved & wanted the fat tires, but it's just too much for fiance' to lift in & out of the car since we'll be riding about 2x a week & we're leaving the bikes (folded) in the car permanently so far. I almost was going to get that brand called Fiido, which is the most lightweight I've seen. Maybe next time around. As time goes, I know I'll want more & more lightweight bikes.

Ecotric is of good quality, just a littl too big-framed, bulky, & cumbersome for us. I'm 5'3" & fiance's 5'7". We loved & wanted the fat tires, but it's just too much for fiance' to lift in & out of the car since we'll be riding about 2x a week & we're leaving the bikes (folded) in the car permanently so far. I almost was going to get that brand called Fiido, which is the most lightweight I've seen. Maybe next time around. As time goes, I know I'll want more & more lightweight bikes.
I think the "48volt model is called the "Flash" I really like the one I bought my Daughter.

So my wife's Dolphin quit working 2 days ago. It has all the symptoms of a brake sensor failure ( everything lights up on PAS controller (A10) but nothing works, throttle, pas, walk mode). I notified Ecotric by email, looked at the YouTube and disconnected my brake sensors at the controller. I got a about a 30 sec "spin" in the walk mode, then nothing. Good news, I suspect the motor is fine. I post this for any ideas someone might have and to also post how the customer service goes @ Ecotric. So far I have been pleased although it was the standard 18-24hr response, no biggie. The bike is about 14 months new and around 650 to 700 miles. I base that on my odometer on my Ecotric 26" fattie that is 740 and I have ridden without my wife a few times.

I don't expect anything free from Ecotric, just timely help and parts shipped quickly.

Naturally my wife is frustrated but I knew going in on an direct to consumer online purchase ment we had to be our own service. At the same time I don't want the guy who put together an LC for a container of eBikes and a domain name.

So I will keep people posted :)
My husband and I purchased 2 Ecotric folding bikes 16 months ago. My Dolphin started making a loud grinding squealing type noise from the motor after 10 months. We contacted the Co and were told to video it. We sent the video and they promptly sent out a full rear assembly. My husband installed it and 3 months later the noise began again. Now it is louder than the first motor. Sandy responded this time saying it’s the normal sound of the motor. Ummm, no! Neighbors outside turn and look when I am over 50 yards away because it is so loud. We sent a better video. Now she says the spokes need tightened. They are tight. My husbands bike does not make any noise. My 2 friends who bought the same bikes are quiet. Mine was quiet for the first 10 months. Very frustrating. It’s still under warranty but they will do nothing! We found a local bike shop with experience with the hub driven bikes. We are going to go see him. I ride 5 days a week. It’s now so loud I’m scared to ride far.

Hmm, I guess Ecotric is NOT of good quality like I thought, but I'm a newbie to e-bikes, so I didn't know. Many of you seem to have trouble w/ Ecotric. Mine had trouble pretty much the moment I bought it. Won't be getting this brand at all in the future!

Not sure what people expect from a sub-$1000 eBike. I figured about 1000-1400mi. We are not quite there yet. If we get to the 1000 mile mark for what we spent I'm ok. At the point of extreme failure I will decide if going the replace components makes sense or upgrading.

Pop the motor apart and grease the gears( not that hard) you can also assess the condition of said gears while the motor is apart for an $800 dollar bike the quality is not going to be as great as with the higher priced units, no gears is the advantage of the slightly less powerful; DD motors and another option is to purchase another fat tire hub motor unit ( making sure the stock controller is compatible) you can upgrade motor at this time as well. One day we are going to see a lot more shops hacking and servicing e-bikes.
Other factors influence the life of motors and such as well, load, how much the motor contributes to the ride, etc.I liked every Ecotric that graced my shop.
Double the amount you spend next time or get a bike like an Eahora that uses a DD motor and the motor should last till you get tired of it, my friend, whom acquired the "Dolphin" I used to own, runs the daylights out of it and is still happy with it, one thing He did was disable the PAS( for one reason or the other) which should not have much bearing on the Motor life( unless it equals less run time for the motor)
BTW, where are you seeing all the complaints on Ecotric bikes? I checked EBR's Ecotric forum, a good many there, you have to remember though all the threads do not pertain to trouble with these Bikes and some people would not complain about a higher end bike on priciple, just happened to think sometimes these "sealed " bearings give out as well, plus, dirt, water they all take a toll.
I am going out on a limb here and recommending a "Rad Power bike" for you because the motors are a bit derated it seems, the new "Lectric 2.0" might be a fair upgrade especially in the "step-through flavor", the new tire size may work out very well and there has to be a reason they changed it.
'

Last edited:
Ok quick update,if anyone is reading this. Sandy @ Ecotric has spent time today helping me sort out our Dolphin. We are pretty sure we narrowed it down. I am not surprised that Ecotric and Sandy replied and worked with me on this. For those looking for sub $1000 folders....I say Ecotric will be a good choice. My neighbors purchased 2 about 2 weeks ago and had them within 5 days.

Fact is, if the company refused to get involved the quick fix would be an entire parts replacement from the motor plug forward ($110). That's for an upgrade display unit.

I'm very pleased they seem to care about their customer
Can you share your findings? I would be interested to know what you found. Having issues with Dolphin myself.

Hmm, I guess Ecotric is NOT of good quality like I thought, but I'm a newbie to e-bikes, so I didn't know. Many of you seem to have trouble w/ Ecotric. Mine had trouble pretty much the moment I bought it. Won't be getting this brand at all in the future!
Same experience here. First one did not work out of the box but Ecotric was pretty quick to send replacement rear wheel/hub. We have two but have yet (after more than a year) to have both work so we can ride together on a camping trip. Trying to decide if we should scrap them and find something else. I would be afraid to sell them knowing of all the problems we have had.

Back