Ebiking with assist

Llallall

I am 74 and I have a nice (Bluejay Premier - https://electricbikereview.com/bluejay/premiere-edition/) ebike. I have taken a couple of falls and at my age it's easy to break bones. I am looking for stabilizing (training) wheels that are easily removed so I can transport my bike (and pick it up). The wheels I have seen are too heavy duty and hard to remove. I just need a bit of reassurance that if something unexpected happens I won't fall.
I saw a good idea on Youtube (
) from Interbike 2014 with EBR reviewer but the website (eztrainer.com) doesn't exist anymore. Does anyone know how to find this product? Or something like it? The cost quoted in the video was approx. $200.00
Seems like this kind of device would be a great idea. Do you know of any or can you advise me? I'm willing to spend some money for a good solution but the $700 Swinging Wheels from the Netherlands is too crazy for me.
Thanks for any help you can provide

they would make the bike far harder to ride since you know how to balance. I saw this one lady with some they were spring loaded so they had some give but they were massive too I bet 8 extra pounds added to the bike. nothing is going to be easy to remove either.

An etrike would be best, but that is a whole other can of worms. IMO, a tilting trike would be the way to go. My choice would be an upright tadpole.
"Training wheels" for an adult bike, let alone ebike, would need to be well engineered to be safe and effective. Maybe there's something out there.

I'm 77 now, and have taken a couple of spills myself. Considering what may happen in the future, I would also be interested in such a product.

I jokingly told the wife, I need something like this:

e4751363b8e75927c5a28c36d1ee8f35.jpg

I've been considering a folding e-trike, and may go that route eventually. I've seen some recumbent trikes that look quite comfortable, but they are expensive.

In any case, welcome to the forum, and keep us posted on what you find!

Really, if you're concerned about crashing/tipping over to the point that you want stabilizing/training wheels, some sort of recumbent trike is the answer. Super stable, you're low to the ground (depending on the model you're very low to the ground), tadpoles are very difficult to tip unless you get super crazy in the corners at high speed. They are quite popular with people with motor control issues (well known cyclist/mechanic Sheldon Brown rode one in his later years as he battled MS).

Utah Trikes are the experts for most trike related things. Most trike companies offer electric models, or you can convert with your choice of aftermarket ebike kit. Catrike, for example, offers a Bosch conversion pedal assist kit. Since trikes have the crankset out at the end of an adjustable boom, converting a trike usually just means a different boom instead of having to design the entire frame around the motor.

Hope you find a solution. I may well have neighbors in the same boat.

To refocus replies, let me try to summarize:
1. You want to keep riding the bike you have.
2. You just want a little extra fall prevention.
3. The solution must be easily removable for bike transport.
4. The solution in the original video had some appeal but can"t be found now.

Correct? Surely there's a market for that — product liability permitting.

Take my neighborhood. It's not officially over-55, but that's the main demographic. No bikeways or sidewalks, but the streets are flattish, smooth, and sleepy — nice place for casual rides.

Here's the disconnect: I see many regular and ebikes in neighborhood garages — often 2-3 per garage — but not many in use.

Why not? These mostly over-60 neighbors have a nice, protected place to ride. Bike weather year-round. There's even some scenery. And at one time, many of them were into bikes enough to have more than one now.

How many more of these captive bikes would be out riding if the fall risk were reduced?

Correct? Surely there's a market for that — product liability permitting.

I think theres just a fundamental issue of them not actually working very well. Bikes aren't super stable vehicles. They are designed to lean, and pretty much require a rider with a certain amount of balance. Training wheels for kids don't even work that great, they are almost always ridden at super slow speed and only until the kid has the balance down and then they come off.

I don't mean to rain on the OPs parade, and I do hope they find something that works and lets them ride with more confidence. Instead of training wheels I might just invest in a nice set of armor to add protection if you do fall.

Having had friends who developed minor motor control issues as they aged though, the best solution is moving to a trike. Unlike a bike, they are stable at any and all speeds and pretty much negate the risk of tipping over.

I am 74 and I have a nice (Bluejay Premier - https://electricbikereview.com/bluejay/premiere-edition/) ebike. I have taken a couple of falls and at my age it's easy to break bones. I am looking for stabilizing (training) wheels that are easily removed so I can transport my bike (and pick it up). The wheels I have seen are too heavy duty and hard to remove. I just need a bit of reassurance that if something unexpected happens I won't fall.
I saw a good idea on Youtube (
) from Interbike 2014 with EBR reviewer but the website (eztrainer.com) doesn't exist anymore. Does anyone know how to find this product? Or something like it? The cost quoted in the video was approx. $200.00
Seems like this kind of device would be a great idea. Do you know of any or can you advise me? I'm willing to spend some money for a good solution but the $700 Swinging Wheels from the Netherlands is too crazy for me.
Thanks for any help you can provide
Hello,
I'm not an expert or a professional.... I'm a 78 year old male, own three e-bikes, have been riding for 7 years, 12,000 miles (20,900 km).
ride mainly rail trails. I've 'cashed' twice. Actually, not crashes, both times the mishaps, I was nearly stopped. lost my
balance and my 55 pound e-bike and I went over... Never a riding, moving crash in 7 years. I share, not to gloat
or brag, but rather a starting point for a conversation.

If you don't mind I would love to hear more about the circumstances leading up to your 'couple of crashes'. I'm very reluctant
to comment one way or another on training wheels. The are so many factors the can influence our stability while bike riding.

The e-bike I just purchased has made a huge positive difference in my bike handling compared to my prior to 2 bikes. I'm
not for a second suggesting you purchase not new bike. Cycling is very personal.

Good Luck,
John

It's been my experience that most falls, or crashes, occur at slow speeds, usually when first starting out. For me anyway, once the bike reaches 5 or 6 mph, balance issues disappear. Heavy class 1 bikes can be difficult to get going from a full stop, especially if there is significant lag before the PAS kicks in. Forgetting to downshift before stopping makes the problem even worse.

This is where a throttle comes in handy. It makes it quite easy to get the bike moving without having to apply significant pedal force. Once I learned the trick of "blipping" the throttle at startup, I haven't had a single mishap.

Of course, having a throttle makes the bike a class 2, which may violate regulations where you ride. There are class 1 bikes that have a walk assist feature, which I've seen used to help get a bike moving. Unfortunately, adding these features to an existing class 1 bike can be difficult or even impossible. You might try asking at your LBS to get their advice.

Thanks for all the suggestions. My first fall was the result of a truck pulling out of a construction site onto my sidewalk path. Had to fall to avoid collision. Broke wrist. Second fall was flukey curb bump. My fault. Broke elbow. Very surprised.
Tadpole idea has led me to Sixthreezero Two Front Wheel electric bike. I am interested in any opinions on this bike. Anyone ridden one? I want a pedal assist more than throttle and I wonder how much safer they are than a 2 wheeler.
thanks again!

Thanks for all the suggestions. My first fall was the result of a truck pulling out of a construction site onto my sidewalk path. Had to fall to avoid collision. Broke wrist. Second fall was flukey curb bump. My fault. Broke elbow. Very surprised.
Tadpole idea has led me to Sixthreezero Two Front Wheel electric bike. I am interested in any opinions on this bike. Anyone ridden one? I want a pedal assist more than throttle and I wonder how much safer they are than a 2 wheeler.
thanks again!

Hello again,
Wow !! A broken wrist and a broken elbow I cringe just thinking of the pain. I'm really sorry....My comments following are not
meant to be harsh or demeaning whatsoever , but I feel I must ask....

Based on the two examples of your awful crashes, approximately how long / how much cycling time do you have ?
I ask because I'm trying to imagine the situation of a truck pulling out of a construction site (so fast ? ) the only way to
avoid a collision was to crash ? Second, a 'flukey curb bump'... I completely agree with your description. curbs can
be horrid as you found out...I've now gotten to the point if I have even the slightest doubt about a curb I dismount
and walk my bike over it...for crash fear.... I'm really sorry to hear of your severe injury.

Where I'm going with this, based on your brief description, I'm questioning your basic, instinctive bike handling / intuitive skills.
An example... The other day a squirrel ran across my path about 4 foot to my front. I saw it able was able to stop.
My concern for you, and you'd know best. It sounds like you're looking for a huge change in your cycling routine ( a completely
new bike ) which may not be what you need ?

Based on the tiny bit of info, and if you're questioning your bike riding / handling skills I'd seriously consider locating an accredited college
or higher cycling coach, ask him or her if they are available for hire for an hour or two to evaluate your riding /bike handling skills/ stability etc.
I'd also seriously consider a professional bike fit if you haven't already had one done.

John

Back