eBikes overtake Road Bikes

@RandallS, Here is that Mundo I purchased today for conversion to a 750W system. For BionX bikes I replace the rear wheel with a regular one and strip off all BonX components. Then I install a torque sensing mid-drive and a battery that can easily be swapped and that fits in a standard water bottle cage. When technology advances I will still be able to update because there is not anything such as a proprietary motor mount or special in-frame battery. Look how strong the rear wheel is on the Mundo. The back carries 220 Kg, taking one more car off the road for trips to the store or to drop off kids.
1640895548596.jpeg

1640895761258.jpeg

you are knocking people that buy better bikes come on now. your assuming people that own lower end bike can change out the electronics and battery themselves. I bought Bosch because they have long term support of all their stuff. but I know in the long term its disposable. But what will I have? a great enjoyment of riding a bike that feels great under me. Not a bike that will feel cheap shift less then perfectly be really heavy and wont feel natural peddling. I have ridden way to long on a regular bike to go over to the feel of an electric scooter. I ride for exercise I want to be able to spin and I want and need my bike reliable. you also need to go by miles. How many of the Lower end bikes or replacement parts would I need to do 12,000 miles?
You do as you like. All I'm asking is that you not knock other people's decisions because they didn't spend a much as you did. Clearly, a case can be made regarding the value of a well

I don't even see many 20 or 30 year old cars that are driven daily, TBH. Yes, they could last that long with reasonable maintenance, but very few do. I hate that, but it's true in my area.
Rust belt factor?

You do as you like. All I'm asking is that you not knock other people's decisions because they didn't spend a much as you did. Clearly, a case can be made regarding the value of a well
I did not knock them I knocked saying that the cheap bikes will have long life's and can keep getting resurrected. If you buy a cheap bike you have a cheap bike if it works well for you thats fine but don't claim its a caddy in disguise.

Rust belt factor?
Pennsylvania doesn't salt the roads much anymore, but Ohio to the west and New York to the east still do. So maybe it's rust, but I think it's cultural. It's seems like people just don't trust a 10 yo vehicle to be dependable, and so get rid of them the first time they need maintenance beyond the regular schedule.

"Cheap" bikes, electric or acoustic, will always be the largest market share in the space. No one up here buys a bike from Canadian Tire or Walmart (CCM, Supercycle, low-end Schwinn, etc.) and expects them to last 20 years. If they do, great, but most are expected to last 5-10 years at absolute best, and components are generic or low-end series from the brand names. I don't expect the ebike space to evolve any differently, and there will always be those who just want a CCM for a few summers of fun, and those who want a Trek or a Specialized for either longer life, smoother/reliable operation, or a harder use case.

For somebody like AHicks, he has two homes and doesn't want to haul bikes back and forth. I like to have my lazy city cruiser in grocery-getting configuration, and my more focused commuter with higher speed ergonomics in mind. Many folks have 2 or 3 bikes for targeted uses, and there will always be those who choose to keep a couple cheaper bikes vs sinking everything into one high-end model.

There's money to be made and smiles to be had on the entire spectrum of quality and cost. :)

There is a huge potential market for the inexpensive ebikes, as Lectric and others have shown, but infrastructure needs to be addressed before many people will even consider ebikes as anything other than toys. And toys don't need to last very long.

Here is an electric bike from 1972. A battery goes in the cage. The original owner has ridden it almost every day for 50-years. He dose big rides twice per week. Now he likes having assistance. You can see the motor between the pedals. A quality frame makes all the difference. On the other hand, I purchased a $250 new bike in 2014 because that is what I wanted. A tool from Harbor Freight to last for one-year. The bottom bracket failed within 6-months on that bike.

Attachments

• MercianCycles01.JPG
    MercianCycles01.JPG
    300 KB · Views: 154
  • MercianCycles02.JPG
    MercianCycles02.JPG
    367.1 KB · Views: 158
  • MercianCycles03.JPG
    MercianCycles03.JPG
    410.4 KB · Views: 160
I did not knock them I knocked saying that the cheap bikes will have long life's and can keep getting resurrected. If you buy a cheap bike you have a cheap bike if it works well for you thats fine but don't claim its a caddy in disguise.
OK, last round for me with you. Getting tired of having words put in my mouth. Explaining that a "cheap" bike can be made from non proprietary parts available anywhere, virtually guaranteeing a long service life for those that have a desire to do that, is not calling them a "caddy".

I am new to this Board and new to eBikes, but we just got two Lectric ST (white and black) for Christmas presents to ourselves, and are thoroughly impressed by the workmanship and utility of these things. We've added folding rear baskets for groceries, USB ports for running smartphone GPS, 11-34 freewheels for wider pedaling range, cushy rear suspension, and FlatOut for the tubes. And they fold. And around $1K. Yeah, the hub motor and battery make them heavier. But aside from motor, battery, and controller, what is different from an analog bike? I suspect these machines will last for MANY years of fun rides and practical runs to market and restaurants.

OK, last round for me with you. Getting tired of having words put in my mouth. Explaining that a "cheap" bike can be made from non proprietary parts available anywhere, virtually guaranteeing a long service life for those that have a desire to do that, is not calling them a "caddy".
Right now maybe but who knows? most people don't want to build their own bikes and wont have the skills to fix their dead bikes that no shop will work on. there will be a huge amount of e bikes that will need disposed of when people get lazy and their batteries died.

Back